Multiple gauge wire inside a cable?
Apr 1, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #46 of 59
@skwoodwiva,

Thanks for your input.

Litz and silver plated are not related. Litz is a way of bundling multiple strands of individually enameled wire together. There are many types of litz constructions (see here for examples). Any type of wire can be put into a litz configuration. Silver, silver plated copper, copper, anything.

Lot's a cable makers use litz, as well as different gauge wires. The questions is does it have any scientific explainable advantages for an RCA interconnect.

When you say you braided the 19 AWG wire, what do you mean? It's impossible to tell from your picture. Did you take the individual strands from a 19 awg wire apart, then braid them?

What does it mean "My dampening factor went up by maybe a grand"? Isn't a "grand" a measurement of money ($1000)?

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #47 of 59
@skwoodwiva,

Thanks for your input.

Litz and silver plated are not related. Litz is a way of bundling multiple strands of individually enameled wire together. There are many types of litz constructions (see here for examples). Any type of wire can be put into a litz configuration. Silver, silver plated copper, copper, anything.

Lot's a cable makers use litz, as well as different gauge wires. The questions is does it have any scientific explainable advantages for an RCA interconnect.

When you say you braided the 19 AWG wire, what do you mean? It's impossible to tell from your picture. Did you take the individual strands from a 19 awg wire apart, then braid them?

What does it mean "My dampening factor went up by maybe a grand"? Isn't a "grand" a measurement of money ($1000)?
Most litz is silver plate, but not all. Damp... Is speaker impedence / the out /amp impedence.
My wire ohms went from 1 to .05 easily so my D factor is 20 x what it was, Polly 50 so a grand now.

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #48 of 59
Most litz is silver plate, but not all. Damp... Is speaker impedence / the out /amp impedence.
My wire ohms went from 1 to .05 easily so my D factor is 20 x what it was, Polly 50 so a grand now.
Thanks. I know what dampening factor is. I think you are using "grand" to mean "a factor of 1000". I'll assume that. I'll also assume "polly" was just "probably" that got auto-corrected, incorrectly.

I highly doubt the impedance of your wire dropped by 50% for a 6 foot cable. If you could explain that, I would be interested in the math for the specific wire used. A drop in impedance of the wire is only one factor, as you have noted. The wire impedance (times 2) is added to the output impedance of the amp. Your profile page doesn't show what amp you are using. I also cannot tell what headphones those are, and therefore what the driver impedance is.

Also, there is a school of thought that dampening factor isn't quite as important for headphones as it is for speakers, specifically for larger drivers. The impedance curve of your specific headphones probably matter more than the impedance of the cable.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #50 of 59
I was 1 vs 0 on meter but we know it is likely .1 or my Fluke, .05.
D Factor is V important for low imp'd cans.
Yes, especially if they are multi driver. True.

It looked like you are using over or on-ear headphones. Generally, those aren't low impedance (like below 5 ohm). Also, we still don't know the output impedance of your amp or which headphones you are using. Also don't know what you meant by "braided" 19 AWG wire.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #51 of 59
Yes, especially if they are multi driver. True.

It looked like you are using over or on-ear headphones. Generally, those aren't low impedance (like below 5 ohm). Also, we still don't know the output impedance of your amp or which headphones you are using. Also don't know what you meant by "braided" 19 AWG wire.
Kimber tfe wire is 19 ga

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #52 of 59
I have Oppo PM-1s. They sound the same with everything I plug them into. They came with two cables, a cheap one for portable use, and a fancy audiophile one. Both cables sound identical.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #55 of 59
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #56 of 59
Oh sorry. I thought you were speaking to me at first. I have skwoodwiva muted. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he had a language problem or perhaps some sort of disability, but even if that is the case, it's too much work trying to communicate with him. He doesn't seem to be interested in two way communication anyway. Muting works really good. Just pull down the name and select IGNORE. Poof! No more nut jobs!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #57 of 59
Sorry, but who cares. I was asking you number of specific questions that you just ignore. No problem. No need to respond. I really don't care.

Update. I apologize. It sounds like you might not be a native english speaker, and thus you may not have understood the questions.
I am dyslexic so typing is tough
Go on
I thought I got through? No

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #58 of 59
Kimber tfe wire is 19 ga
Just made for sound/wire test
IMG_20180401_195354786.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back