Multimedia PMP with the best sound quality?
Jun 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

superfan

New Head-Fier
Recently I've been looking at upgrades for my 2nd Gen ipod touch. Partially because it's a few years old and partially because I've filled it up with music and need more storage space. I'm not exactly an audiophile, because I mainly use 320/512 kbps rips from cds for my songs, but I still need more storage space for my music. I've also been looking at other multimedia video/internet/app devices, but these functions will be secondary in my consideration. 

For a few months I've been looking at the Zune HD, which is fairly cheap secondhand, and purportedly had one of the best line outs on a multimedia, non-audophile, player. But recently the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 has caught my attention with its microSD support, as I need a fair amount of storage space. But I've also heard next to nothing about its audio quality. So, my question is, what has the best audio quality? Is it one of these? Another player like a Walkman or Sansa?

I guess here's my listening setup, for the giggles:

IEMs: RHA MA 350

Cans: Philips CitiScape Uptown

Amp: Digizoid Zo2 or Fiio E5

Like I said, it's nothing fancy, but I'm not really an audiophile, just someone who doesn't want their music to sound terrible.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Huge Storage -> iPod Classic.
Apps -> iPod Touch
Cheap and Best -> Sansa
FLAC and Stylish -> Cowon

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 9
i think sony walkman Z fits your bill, but its pricey and storage is limited. try cowon j3 instead i guess... although it doesnt really have internet/app devices. or why not a 64gb ipod touch 4th gen? they sure pretty sound decent to me.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
i think sony walkman Z fits your bill, but its pricey and storage is limited. try cowon j3 instead i guess... although it doesnt really have internet/app devices. or why not a 64gb ipod touch 4th gen? they sure pretty sound decent to me.

+1 on the "Z".  I like the iPod, but I've since sold all but my iPod 5.5G.  I like the sound out of the Z as it seems very "Tube Like" in nature.  If you go with a Line-Out it has very clean sound and it takes on the characteristic of the Amplifier that you're pairing with it.  I enjoyed it MUCH more than the iPod.  Though, the iPod sounds clean and linear (headphone out or line-out sound similar).

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 9
The Cowon X7 are great sounding PMPs with huge storage space (compared to iPod Touch) and big screen, APPs, Internet.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
The Cowon X7 are great sounding PMPs with huge storage space (compared to iPod Touch) and big screen, APPs, Internet.

The X7 does not have wifi and internet capability.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 9
The Galaxy Player 4.2 sounds just fine, and it certainly does fine with the apps and internet.  It's actually very nice to be able to stream Spotify or podcasts directly on the device when I'm in the mood for something I don't have in my own collection.  You can get a 64GB microSD for about $60-70 and have a slick, well-sounding device with a massive capacity for about $250 total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back