Multiarmature IEM Drivability ?
Mar 2, 2011 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

elfary

Headphoneus Supremus
I've found out that multiarmature IEMs have a nonlinear impedance that tends to trigger impedance bridging issues with the amp that drives them and it might lead to some frequency response dips and humps that can be really audible and can keep the iem from performing to its maximum capability.

Thus the object of the thread would be to collect data of the amp & iem combos and personal impressions. It might be really helpful for choosing appropiate gear.

For instance i find that my Shure SE530 (driven by an iPhone 3GS hpo) lacks some upper mid / lower treble information when compared to the frequency response of the same SE530 driven by an iBasso T3. Something similar happens when i drive the SE530 from the 2009 iPod Classic hpo. When i do not drive the iems through the T3 i hear some kind of suck-out on the aforementioned range.That makes me believe that the SE530 has a really low impedance on the 4000 or 5000Hz region which really pose a challenge to the driving amp. Being as great as the iPhone 3GS amp is it still misses something in that ultralow impedance region.

That leads me to conclude that the T3 copes better with armature iems. And it does show that portable amps can really help with efficient iems. I mean that drivability is not only about volume (quantity) but about frequency response (Quality),

I was wondering what's your experience in that regard.

Just my 0.02

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 2
I drive my TF10 with my Clip+ and with my E5(through my computer, my sound card screws with the impedance like crazy). I am hoping that a cmoy would fix that problem as I don't have the cash to get a mid to high end portable or stationary amp at the moment. 

Multi driver IEMs are really a pain in the ass if you don't have the suitable amps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back