[Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd Anv, iPhone 4
Mar 19, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #61 of 324
  +1 on mastering has more importance than the bits/sample rates.

I think we all agree to a point but why not both?
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #64 of 324

Dang, you fool gave him away. The anti-objectivist squad is on it's way as we speak...
blink.gif

Oops 
redface.gif

The lack of HiDef goodness isn't about the HiDef but about the portable format itself. Sitting still in a reasonably quiet space, I could go through the different formats and hear improvement through 24/192 wav on a known track (done with top kit and a Nagra VI) with an AK120 but when I consider about how it actually gets used and quality of most files, I think 24/48 is great way to go for space vs sound with music on the go. On good enough home kit, the format stuff is easily and repeatably demonstrable from my experience. I haven't heard a USB DAC where I feel the bit rate was the weakest link so I understand why many don't feel as I do about HiDef.

A 24 bit file offers no extra resolution. It would literally kill you if you had gear capable of reproducing 24bits of dynamic range.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #65 of 324
I just finished my review of the X5... I honestly wish I had something crappy to compare it to :/ all I have with my is my hm801 <.<

and sadly the hm801 for my tastes, floors the X5... in every way [in terms of sound] 

that said, sound aside, the X5 is a very nice DAP! I like the features that it has as well as all the goodies :D

I was hoping to sell my hm 801, which is about 3 years old now and could die any day now q.q, but I don't think the X5 will be it's replacement! 

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #67 of 324
  I just finished my review of the X5... I honestly wish I had something crappy to compare it to :/ all I have with my is my hm801 <.<

and sadly the hm801 for my tastes, floors the X5... in every way [in terms of sound] 

that said, sound aside, the X5 is a very nice DAP! I like the features that it has as well as all the goodies :D

I was hoping to sell my hm 801, which is about 3 years old now and could die any day now q.q, but I don't think the X5 will be it's replacement! 

If you really want a replacement for 801, seriously consider 802 rather than 901. 802 and 801 are more close to each other in sound signatures according what I read about those products.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #68 of 324

How does the 801 floor the X5? I'm quite curious, especially since I directly compared the 801's upgrade (901) to the X5 and found the X5 to b very much equivalent.

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #69 of 324

How does the 801 floor the X5? I'm quite curious, especially since I directly compared the 801's upgrade (901) to the X5 and found the X5 to b very much equivalent.

Read my review of the X5 or rather follow the

I'll just post it

It could be due to the fact that I used the Line out of Each Player into my PB2 and then into my Balanced Headphone but in short

Long story short, the X5 lacks a natural timbre and an ​
engaging sound.  The sound stage also lacks the clarity and definition of the Hm 801, being shallower, narrower and not as focused. More on the sound though, is the almost sterile nature of the X5. Granted it's a smidge warmer than the my NFB 10ES2 [but what isn't] still the mids bass and treble all lack anything... wonderful!​

The HM 801 features a rather spacious sound stage, and very organic mids and bass, With a nice touch of treble sparkle. Everything about the Hm 801 [and my old Hm 601 for that matter] sounds right to me. While the Hm 601 lacked the sound stage and definition of the Hm 801 and even the X5, the tone or natural sound of the Hifiman HM 601 and my current 801 are what make them in my opinion better players all around. Granted I've not heard Hifimans new Line up of players, but for me the sound signiture of the X5 is kinda boring, and even worse the sound stage and details are equally as disappointing. For $350 it's still a great bargin, as the UI was enjoyable for me, and the myriad of playback options where cool. Not to mention it actually fits in my pocket and locks it self. BUT the sound is what turns me off from it.​

Granted I'm comparing a $350 DAP to a once Flag Ship Status DAP that cost me $500 new, but it was the HM 601 , the joyous sound of that player that pushed me to buy the HM 801 [on a whim mind you] and imo both of the old school fatty BRICK Hifimans have a more organic and enjoyable tone than Fiios X5. ​

And going to the NFB 10ES2, while the X5 is warmer, it lacks the sound stage, tactility or definition. My point being, I enjoy, or rather I can accept a sterile sound in exchange for improvements in sound stage, detail retention and imaging. But Sadly the X5 offers a disappointment across the board for me. Again, in it's own right it's a great player, the combination of sound, UI Navigation, Features and utility make it a nice DAP! But it doesn't compare to the magic of the Hifiman Players, and honestly for me as long as it sounds good I can live with it.​
 ​

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #70 of 324

If you really want a replacement for 801, seriously consider 802 rather than 901. 802 and 801 are more close to each other in sound signatures according what I read about those products.

I really do wonder about that... the hm801 has been called warm, lush a little slow... if that's the case I can't disagree with enjoying it.

I LOVED my HM601 and my hm801 sub sequantly. Although My pb2 is outfitted with LME 49990 Op Amps [a quad of them] and dummy buffers, so I amp out of the HM 801 with as clean and sterlie as I can, not to mention I own a number of "bright" headphones, which pair nicely with the HM 801 

still I'd have to really sit down the the HM 802 before I got it. plus I REALLY don't like the look of the new Hifiman Players... they look annoying. Not to mention the HM801 has a line out right on it's side where as the hm801 needs a docking cord. 

I like the simplicity of the hm 801s physical design [yea the ui sucks] and it's sound... and I'd like something as simple as it is with a line out. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #72 of 324
  Interesting. So, from how I'm reading your impressions, the X5 if inferior because it's more neutral?

It's more neutral but lacks in detail and sound stage, so yea it's inferior, and my biggest issue is just how boring it sounds. The details that you get with a more neutral DAP aren't there, neither is the enjoyment of a colored sound

I may change the wording around or add in I prefer the hm 801 in every way to the X5 but... It just sounds bland... and this is from a guy who dislikes tubes... and enjoyed his DT 880 with a Solid State :/ 

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #73 of 324

Oops 
redface.gif

A 24 bit file offers no extra resolution. It would literally kill you if you had gear capable of reproducing 24bits of dynamic range.

Records can't be as good as CDs either by that standard. Perhaps there's more to it than dynamic range but if you're absolutely convinced that there can't be a difference, that's that. I'm not technically inept but do understand that I don't understand everything unlike some that prefer tidy little boxes.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #74 of 324
  It's more neutral but lacks in detail and sound stage, so yea it's inferior, and my biggest issue is just how boring it sounds. The details that you get with a more neutral DAP aren't there, neither is the enjoyment of a colored sound

I may change the wording around or add in I prefer the hm 801 in every way to the X5 but... It just sounds bland... and this is from a guy who dislikes tubes... and enjoyed his DT 880 with a Solid State :/ 

Ok. For the record, I absolutely disagree with you, but your thoughts are your own and I can't argue against them.
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #75 of 324

Ok. For the record, I absolutely disagree with you, but your thoughts are your own and I can't argue against them. :beerchug:

*buh dum tss* XD

I don't believe that a 24 bitdepth matters either. All it does is affect the noise floor, so if you have some insanely quiet music, then the 24 bitdepth might be better. On the other hand, a standard 16 bitdepth can be dithered to have lower quantization noise in exchange for a higher noise floor, but that still doesn't really go into the noticeable audio range.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth

I think having 24-bit playback capability is good for people who have that kind of music and don't want to down-sample their music, but I am highly doubtful it makes a difference in the perception of sound for us mortal beings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back