Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Jan 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #183 of 473
thanks for adding the ck10. Man, you are just baiting me to buy more expensive iems! I say that with a smile. How different are the ck10 and re0, because in jant71's comparison he said they were 95% the same with the hd biflanges.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #184 of 473
Just took a nap in the CK10 after posting that. I think they were designed for my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, ever since this thread was first made, I thought that you would add the CK10 eventually. I was starting to get worried, but yay it's there! :p

Yep, they were the last IEM remaining in that teaser photo that I hadn't reviewed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for adding the ck10. Man, you are just baiting me to buy more expensive iems! I say that with a smile. How different are the ck10 and re0, because in jant71's comparison he said they were 95% the same with the hd biflanges.

It depends on the tips. The CK10 can be made to sound more like the RE0 (for me using silicone tri-flanges/shallow seal), but that is not their full potential. Jant seemed to have been looking for ways to make them sound similar whereas I was after sq. With the right tips they beat the RE0 in soundstage and low-end extension, have a bit more impact than even a well-amped RE0, and a fuller, richer midrange.

Edit: But looking at it on a grand scale, I gave the RE0 a 9.5/10 for sound quality and the CK10 - a 10/10. That makes for a 5% difference so Jant was quite right.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #186 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, acevang, good luck with your new phones
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope you enjoy them. If, as I think, the M6 are an improvement over the M9, you've got great phones for the price.

Thanks. I actually ended up buying the M9 for my wife also. Both are really good but yeah the M6 is definitely an improvement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@acevang - Congratulations on making your decision. If you find yourself losing seal while at the gym try re-shaping the memory wire to push against your head to keep the earphones in your ear. And also Sony Hybrid tips
tongue.gif

Actually finally went to the gym and wow, from what I remember w/ the Koss KCS75 the experience is night and day, for me. The isolation is great. I had some women trying to get my attention for about 20 secs to ask me about a tattoo but I couldn't hear her
atsmile.gif
so she started waving her hands at me. It may be a little more than I was expecting for running outside but I can just turn down my iPod.

As I said before I actually do really like the memory wire and that combined with the little toggle I can pull up under my neck helped keep a good seal, even when laying down and getting back up. I actually would love to try the Hybrid tips but since they sell them w/ 4 different sizes I can't justify the price right now. For now the Meelec large tips are working fine.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #187 of 473
Many thanks for going above and beyond!

I was debating between the RE0 and the CK10 a couple months ago and tried to find as much as I could about the CK10. The reason I bought the CK10 were due to jant71's, shigzeo's, and your comments/reviews about them. I decided to take a plunge. I am glad that I chose them over the RE0 and in my opinion was worth their price over the RE0.
smile.gif
I think my journey for IEMs may have taken a very long stop here...

Again, thanks for your reviews and keep up the amazing work!

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #188 of 473
Great thread - always getting better too. I also heartily agree with much of your findings; the CK10 is simply unstoppable when I look at it as a whole package and at 200$, maybe the perfect IEM for a person who doesn't need smashing bass quantity.

The other iems fall roughly in line with how I view them. Very very well done.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #189 of 473
Just wanted to bump the thread for 2 reasons:
Just received my RE0's. They rock!
The manufacturer is offering a FREE AMP (Fiio E3 amp) right now with purchase of the RE0s. (Products - hifiman.us) Not sure if the offer is still good though.

Still trying to see if hifi will live up to their free amp promise. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the headphones.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #190 of 473
Thanks for including the ATH-CK10
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think I'm buying such an expensive phone ever, but I was just curious about how a phone that had his price cut out in half (going from 400$ the first time I saw them to the current 200$) was about sound and building quality. I had the same feelings toward the RE0 when I saw the incredible drop in price, and now see that both phones are decent but were incredibly overpriced at first.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #191 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review of the CK10.....your killing me
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for going above and beyond!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread - always getting better too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for including the ATH-CK10
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to bump the thread for 2 reasons:
Just received my RE0's. They rock!
The manufacturer is offering a FREE AMP (Fiio E3 amp) right now with purchase of the RE0s. (Products - hifiman.us) Not sure if the offer is still good though.

Still trying to see if hifi will live up to their free amp promise. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the headphones.

I'm quite sure hifiman.us is not being actively updated (as evidenced by the lack of the RE252 on the product page). Head-Direct.com is the manufacturer's active website. As for the E3, it was included with the RE0 back when it was sold at the $239 and $169 price points and for a very limited time early in the summer '09 $99 sale. After that head-direct said they would no longer be including the amp with the RE0. To be honest you're not missing much - the E3 is a $7 amp and it's not a hi-fi revelation by any means - but you should probably contact fang anyway, if only on principle.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #192 of 473
I think this thread got bigger from when I last saw it, definitely more reviews then when I last saw it.

Excellent reviews and nice table at the end.

I am curious what you'll think trying out things like the UM3X, IE8, SE530, etc... I kind of wish I still had mine so I could let you borrow them. All I have left now is my Triple.Fi 10 simply because I can't sell it without losing a good chunk of money after the Amazon thing. I'm sticking to my Ok1 buds again, although, I tried all of the above as potential successors to it. I will say if you thought the PFE and ER4S were remarkable, these top level product bring it up another level, not particularly in raw driver performance but rather breadth of and evenness of response gains from a multi-driver platform. Some of the single driver earphones are quite remarkable, and they really only lack in breadth of response, lacking bass, having a ragged top end, or something like that.

The RE0 has and seems always will be the top budget SQ earphone out there. The RE252 is one I hadn't previously read anything about. It seems it "fixed" some of the issues I found slightly off-putting (preference) with the RE0.

The CK10 is apparently spanking the competition too. It is one I've always wanted to try out but simply haven't yet. It's always had such rav reviews, and the descriptions of sound have always made me intrigued. There's always something to be said about using a really well implemented single driver earphone. It's why things like the ER4S and PFE are pretty much kings in the IEM world. They just perform so good with just a single driver, not perfect but very good.

As for the CK100, Audio Technica doesn't make it any more as far as I'm aware, was gone about as quick as it came. I've seen a number of reviews saying it sucked, oddly, so I'd maybe scratch that one off the list and just stick to the CK10 as their flagship product.

Oh, if you can grab a set, try out Denon's C751. They're quite nice, more geared for quiet listening, but I hold them on a similar level to something like the PFE or ER4S, completely different sound, but a very good product as long as you don't need isolation. Despite being a "sealed" IEM, they fail completely in isolation and are no better then an earbud. Small note, a change in tips does modify the sound signature quite a bit.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #193 of 473
Oh those CK10's sound lovely.
Thank you for such a great spreadsheet. A most thorough review as always. The CK10's are getting a lot of interest lately. And your review might bring that to frenzy level. LOL

I wonder how my Panasonic 900's compare to the CK10's?

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #194 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh those CK10's sound lovely.
Thank you for such a great spreadsheet. A most thorough review as always. The CK10's are getting a lot of interest lately. And your review might bring that to frenzy level. LOL

I wonder how my Panasonic 900's compare to the CK10's?

There is like 4 WTB CK10 right now in the for sale/trade area
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back