Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Jan 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #151 of 473
Two deals to weigh.

Your review threads win Head-Fi. Re: Your Wallet - a tip jar would not be amiss, for those more financially secure than myself to express their appreciation.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #152 of 473
In regards to the PFE, I personally use them with Shure Olives. With them, you cannot beat the level of comfort and isolation.

As for the v1 version, the cable is 100% better. What remains to be seen is whether the IEM housing will withstand the tests of time.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #154 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squalish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two deals to weigh.

Your review threads win Head-Fi. Re: Your Wallet - a tip jar would not be amiss, for those more financially secure than myself to express their appreciation.

Thanks. I've owned the Er6i in the past and I don't think I'm looking for a repeat experience, but they offer some great sound for that $50. I was more interested in that $15 deal amazon had on the Altec Lansing BackBeats (UHP326), but that's gone now, or the Koss CC_01. Maybe if they drop another $30...

Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question -
RE0 vs Ety ER4p vs Phonak PFE

In terms of clarity, how do you rank them?
unamped and amped.

Bass wise, which has more quantity?

That's a tough question. They are probably in the top 5 phones I've heard clarity-wise. My gut feeling is to say ER4S >= RE0 >= PFE, but they are all so incredibly close they might as well be equal.

Bass-wise it would go:
PFE (black filters) > ER4S > RE0 (amped) = PFE (grey filters) > RE0 (unamped)

None are bass monsters by any means and I don't even find the RE0 lacking too badly when unamped so the spread is fairly close here as well.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #155 of 473
I found the ER6i a much better deal at $50 if it was a couple years ago. Much more competition and quality products now than in the past.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #157 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about timbre and accuracy btwn the 3?
So far I've heard only the ER4p which is pretty good but a tad too laid back for me to find it engaging enough.

Again, all three are very good. I think I prefer the PFEs on timbre and the Etys on accuracy but the spread is very small. If the Etys aren't engaging enough PFEs might be more like what you're looking for. RE0 are somewhere in the middle, closer to the ER4.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #158 of 473
ljokerl, I have a question after reading your comparison, about the Meelec M11. Maybe I should post it in a separate thread or even as a private message, but I feel it fits here.

Well, I'm considering about ordering a pair of Meelec M11 or M6. I know you prefer the M6 in terms of SQ, and given the advices you've given in the past I must trust you in that matter. Nonetheless, apart from SQ I want to consider another factors that are VERY important to me, as sometimes I have to spend many hours wearing the phones: isolation and comfort.

As for isolation, if I understand correctly what you've written about them, the M11 isolates more than the M6, ¿right? This is really important to me, as one of my main uses of this kind of phones is to isolate from outside noise while listening music at a very low volumes.

As for comfort, I have had bad experiences with over the ear designs, as the cable jumps out of my ear very easily. With the memory wire this is not an issue, so no problem, but other issue I have with this kind of phones is poor fit (so, poor isolation) and lack of comfort. My ear canals have a weird shape and I may not get the fit I want with the M6 :?

Last but not least, the memory wire may be a problem when carrying the phones, as they need a bigger case, and sometimes I'm in a hurry and I have to put the phones in my pockets, which is a no-no with memory wires...

Given these factors, would you still recommend me the M6 over the M11 or I should better get the M11 and sacrifice a bit of SQ for comfort and isolation?

I think that both phones are an upgrade over the M9, so neither will disappoint me, but...

Darn, I forgot: THANKS A LOT! I'm very unpolite at times...

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #159 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for isolation, if I understand correctly what you've written about them, the M11 isolates more than the M6, ¿right? This is really important to me, as one of my main uses of this kind of phones is to isolate from outside noise while listening music at a very low volumes.

That's correct, the M11 has a long and slender housing that can fit deep inside the ear, resulting in almost etymotic-like levels of isolation with the right tips. The included dual-flanges worked well for me but of course my de-cored olives got some use as well.

Quote:

As for comfort, I have had bad experiences with over the ear designs, as the cable jumps out of my ear very easily. With the memory wire this is not an issue, so no problem, but other issue I have with this kind of phones is poor fit (so, poor isolation) and lack of comfort. My ear canals have a weird shape and I may not get the fit I want with the M6 :?

That's something you can only find out by trying them. With the memory wire removed I find the fit very straightforward - they almost insert themselves. With the memory wire intact it takes some tinkering. Obviously your mileage may vary. The memory wire holds up fine over time; I don't think putting it in your pocked would be a problem.

The problem is that the M11 is not necessarily and upgrade over the M9 in terms of SQ, more of a side-grade. It's a different sort of sound. I wasn't too thrilled with sacrificing the wide soundstage and treble sparkle of the M9/M6 for the near-perfect form factor of the M11, but if you feel that the benefits outweigh the cons than you might like the M11 much more than I. At the very least they'll be a good contrast to your M9s whereas the M6 will just take the M9 sound one step further.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #160 of 473
Thanks a lot, ljokerl
smily_headphones1.gif

I will probably be ordering both models given the time and money, but I have to choose one to be the first! My wife is so surprised with the SQ of the M2 over her Marshmallow and the amazing sound of the M9 that she is willing to test more models. This means that she is not against buying another pair for testing (before, I'm sure she would have killed me in some nasty manner if she discovered I bought yet-another-pair-of-damn-earphones
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
).

Given that right now my priority is isolation and comfort over SQ, and that I'm now curious about the sound signature of the phones, I think I'll order the M11 first.

Thanks a lot for your advice, ljokerl, it has been very useful, really, as always
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #161 of 473
Great, hope you get the new packaging so we can all take a look
tongue.gif
. Also seems that the M11 is currently a bit cheaper than the M6 so it works out.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #162 of 473
I had the new packaging for the new-version M9, I don't know if it is similar to the new packaging of M11. Anyway, I'm going to wait until February to order them, so probably I will be getting the new package.

In any case I can post photos of the packaging when it arrives.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #163 of 473
ljokerl, are you planning on eventually posting your thoughts on the ck10? Or would that just be unfair to all the other high end IEMs?
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #164 of 473
I doubt there is much difference in isolation since both the M6 and the M11 use the same tips. I owned the M11, it was nice And quiet with the triple flange, but I'm thinking of getting an M6 now.

Quote:

ljokerl, I have a question after reading your comparison, about the Meelec M11. Maybe I should post it in a separate thread or even as a private message, but I feel it fits here.

Well, I'm considering about ordering a pair of Meelec M11 or M6. I know you prefer the M6 in terms of SQ, and given the advices you've given in the past I must trust you in that matter. Nonetheless, apart from SQ I want to consider another factors that are VERY important to me, as sometimes I have to spend many hours wearing the phones: isolation and comfort.

Last but not least, the memory wire may be a problem when carrying the phones, as they need a bigger case, and sometimes I'm in a hurry and I have to put the phones in my pockets, which is a no-no with memory wires...

Given these factors, would you still recommend me the M6 over the M11 or I should better get the M11 and sacrifice a bit of SQ for comfort and isolation?

I think that both phones are an upgrade over the M9, so neither will disappoint me, but...

Darn, I forgot: THANKS A LOT! I'm very unpolite at times...

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #165 of 473
Quote:

I had the new packaging for the new-version M9, I don't know if it is similar to the new packaging of M11.

The M11 packaging is the same as the new M9 packaging (plastic see-through). Looks better than the old, though I kinda wish they had used cardboard instead to be a little more environmentally friendly.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back