Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #91 of 473
I was fully prepared to be denied replacement tri-flanges seeing as my aunt bought me the M6's and she had all the order numbers and whatnot.

I just emailed them with my address with my totally unconnected e-mail account and they are sending me the replacements UPS first class.

Solid customer service.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #92 of 473
Three more added to the budget category: The perennial marshmallows, Q:Electronics earbuds, and DealExtreme orange IEMs. Going to go listen to something good now
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aysion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just emailed them with my address with my totally unconnected e-mail account and they are sending me the replacements UPS first class.

Solid customer service.

Congrats on getting that handled. I've found Meelec's support to be some of the most easy-going and helpful in the business
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #93 of 473
yeah..they definitely have some great CS :]

just outta curiosity but you have the S4i? cuz the s4's i have did not come with a clip and have an L plug.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #94 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just outta curiosity but you have the S4i? cuz the s4's i have did not come with a clip and have an L plug.

Yep, it's the S4i. I also have a velvet pouch instead of the nice case that comes with the S4 ><.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #95 of 473
Added the JVC HA-FXC50 and the AudioSource IEBAS. Also appended a chart summarizing all of the scores to the first post. Hopefully it's intelligible
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #96 of 473
Just noticed the update with the FXC50. Thanks again |joker|!

I must say that I have enjoyed the JVCs quite a bit. The difference in sound quality between the FXC50 and the Marshmallows is just ridiculous even considering the (small) price difference. I like how they give an impressive amount of isolation for a dynamically driven IEM as well. The build quality, particularly the thin cables from the Y-split to the housings, does scare me, however.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #98 of 473
Thanks a lot for the great job joker, the chart is an awesome addition, really useful and convenient. I wish clieos would do the same kind of chart to conveniently give an overview of all of his reviews.... i think i'll try to suggest him to do that. I believe(?) Dfkt has to be credited as the first to have done such a thing (on abi), any IEM noob (such as me) will find those really immensely helpful to help them make wise purchase decisions without going crazy jumping back and forth from review to review to compare the reviewer's ratings on different criterias for different IEMs.

One thing puzzles me though : on SOUND, you rate RE0 (9.5) much higher than pr1pro (8), but after having read your reviews and related posts it seems to me that you now prefer the pr1pro over the re0... i guess this means that u recognise the re0 have better sound quality (which i think you wrote about), but that more subjectively you rank the pr1pro over the re0 according to your current sound preferences.... which leads me to think that an IEM ranking based on your current personal preferences could look much different from the ranking using the above ratings on SQ....

Do you think you could give another additional, more subjective 'sound' rating, with less regard to 'quality', that would reflect your very own personal current preference? Sorry if this looks stupid/crazy/a waste of time

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #99 of 473
Daouda, SQ is one thing and preference is another. Etymotic earphones have excellent sound quality which most everyone admits but some of those people who admit that don't like them at all. Rating 9.5 to 8 is not much of a difference. Hey that's 15% which is what I figure the SQ difference is too
wink_face.gif
!

I like the PR1 Pro better than the RE0 and think it falls short in the SQ department. More enjoyable throughout even though there is less detail, transparency and extension.

Interesting on the FXC50. I find my Kanen, which has the similar housing, quite comfortable over the ear and it has no rubber part(plastic on the Kanen). But all ears are different. I find the "arm" rests/nestles nicely along the bottom crook of my ears. I am surprised that I like the design.

Maybe the Audiosource can be modded. My Degen DE-952 were one of the worst earphones I had experienced with all bass and zero treble. One simple mod and they are uber transparent, more than the PR1 Pro and up with the Ety/RE0. From trash(almost) to treasure! Maybe a fun rainy day project to open em' up.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #100 of 473
@kjk1281: yeah, my thoughts exactly. So much better-sounding than the marshmallows and down to only $16-17 now. High risk of them being DOA but warranty service isn't hard to get.

@Saintkeat: There's a small chance that I will get my hands on one of those when trading/selling something from my current stable, but I have no plans to purchase either
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing puzzles me though : on SOUND, you rate RE0 (9.5) much higher than pr1pro (8), but after having read your reviews and related posts it seems to me that you now prefer the pr1pro over the re0... i guess this means that u recognise the re0 have better sound quality (which i think you wrote about), but that more subjectively you rank the pr1pro over the re0 according to your current sound preferences.... which leads me to think that an IEM ranking based on your current personal preferences could look much different from the ranking using the above ratings on SQ....

Do you think you could give another additional, more subjective 'sound' rating, with less regard to 'quality', that would reflect your very own personal current preference? Sorry if this looks stupid/crazy/a waste of time

Yes, I credit dfkt with planting the idea in my head way back in the day.

As for your question, jant71 explained it very, very well. I do indeed prefer the PR1 to the RE0, but I admit that technically the sound of the RE0 is superior. I always try to be as objective as possible in my reviews since preference is a very personal thing. I do try to reflect personal preferences in my comments and in my subjective value ratings (that are not in the chart for that exact reason). I will consider adding a more subjective rating but I didn't think too many people would be interested in what *I* like. In either case feel free to PM me and ask my opinion on a particular earphone as it often takes me a while to implement ideas. I've been meaning to add the chart since I started this thread, for example.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #101 of 473
Quote:

Daouda, SQ is one thing and preference is another

This is exactly where i wanted to go : it would be nice if reviewers such as clieos and joker, (and dftk on abi), who have given us extensive reviews of many different IEMs, with much details and a professional quality to them, could give a shamelessly subjective rating of the sound signature of the IEMs being reviewed along with the SQ rating they already try to provide as objectively as they humanly can. (damn that was an awkward sentence...disclaimer: im not a native english speaker)

It could prove extremely useful and relevant if one had been able to determine (based on reviews of IEMs that he already owned/used to own), that he shares with the reviewer similar tastes regarding sound signature - or not.

In the end, quoting clieos, sound quality is in the the ears of the beholder anyway : Look at the SQ rating he gave to the FA eterna, above the re0, although he seems to admit at the same time that it's less accurate, detailed, refined etc.... but more ENJOYABLE (to his ears).

I guess i'm trying to build a case for a bi-dimensional SQ rating :

-One grade for 'objective' SQ . Which would consider objective attributes such as details(resolving), clarity, soundstage, accuracy, transparency, higher and lower end extension... Im a total noob and no audiophile so fill in the blanks here. That grade should ideally be agreed by whoever with a fine audition would hear the IEMs' sound.

-Another shamelessly subjective grade, that could be called "fun factor" or "enjoyment factor" or whatever, that would indicate how engaging the reviewer think the earphones are, simply how much he enjoys listening to their sound. Obviously it would take into account ALL the sonic caracteristics that makes for the sound signature of the earphones and how nicely they combine to please his senses according to his tastes : all of the attributes cited above, but also those, far less objective, such as : warmth, brightness/darkness, "bassyness", mid or low-end - forwardness or recessedness, "lushness", Eliott Ness, Loch Ness etc...

The problem is obviously that i can see this grade varying depending not only on the listener but on the type of music (and very probably the mood...)! Well, then why not giving a different grade for different types of music?

Allright you probably think i'm crazy right now but i think this is kind of making sense, no? I've been doing research, reading reviews like a total maniac over and over again trying to help the noob that i am getting an bang-for-buck IEM combo that would fit my tastes and the very wide range of music genres i listen to, and i know that in the end i will have to wait till i extensively try the phones to determine wether or not i share similar tastes with the reviewers i took advice from. This is also why i'm looking for a combo and not an 'ideal' pair of phones :
-1st because i know that no matter the price, no single IEM pair will give me the 'perfect' sound for every genre and every mood (i tend to EQ the hell out of my phones differently depending on the phones and on the music)
-2nd because i hope this will educate me on how to approach verbal descriptions of sounds (i'm not so sure about the signification of most of the jargon used here tbh), help me discover my own sound signature preferences more accurately, how to express them and recognize them when reading an audiophile IEM review.

Allright i think i'm done with the psychotic rambling, i hope nobody is taking offense, those are just a noob's thoughts (even more so than suggestions). Please realize that i'm extremely grateful for the awesome contributions that people such as joker and clieos are giving us, i could personaly never do such a competent but also ,detailed, precise and committed job at reviewing IEMs, but i promise i will give back to the community as soon as i receive my damn phones from china, singapore and the US!

EDIT: damn that was such a long rambling that i posted after you joker and before i could see you had posted before me and kind of replying already! I'll leave it like that anyway...

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #102 of 473
cheers joker! i'm planning on a gift and it won't be till February. right now the m6 looks really good if i can get the memory wire removed cleanly. i'll probably audtion them somewhere first if i can. in terms of comfort, between the turbines and m6 which would you prefer? if it helps, think you're a girl XD

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #103 of 473
Looking forward to seeing RE252 and UE TP10 in this thread as well

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #104 of 473
@daouda: yes, I think your point is pretty clear. All I can say is that it is very much possible but quite time consuming and I think at this point more people would like to see more IEMs added to the lineup than a new rating category. I'll consider doing it when I finish writing up all of my current earphones. I hope you see my point regarding expressing my personal opinions in the value rating and the actual text of my reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cheers joker! i'm planning on a gift and it won't be till February. right now the m6 looks really good if i can get the memory wire removed cleanly. i'll probably audtion them somewhere first if i can. in terms of comfort, between the turbines and m6 which would you prefer? if it helps, think you're a girl XD

The M6, no doubt. As comfy as turbines are, with the right tips the M6 just disappear. With the memory wire removed they're also a snap to insert, even purely by touch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to seeing RE252 and UE TP10 in this thread as well

Yes, listening to them now but I'm trying to finish up with some of the stuff I've had for a while before moving to my most recent acquisitions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back