Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Nov 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #76 of 473
Added this round:

Soundmagic PL21
V-Moda Vibe II
Meelectronics Ai-M2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aysion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to the JVC HA-FXC50 review, I'm most likely either getting those or Head-Direct RE2s.

The RE2s are quite bass-deficient so I would stay away from with your tastes.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #78 of 473
I just got the MEElectronics Ai-M6 since the price was not bad and you recommended them for trance. I had the money and wanted to try them out.

They sound excellent so far. Crystal clear details, punchy base and very nice highs? Maybe slightly piercing highs but it is very minor...Im sure it will go away after burning them in.

The the build quality...WOW. This thing is built like a tank.

When I got my pair, I had an issue with one of the monitors...Basically the memory wire is not place properly to the monitor which can be easily twisted 360 degrees unlike the other one which is placed properly. I am currently getting another one sent to me at the moment.

It's a great backup solution while I do not have my JH11 at the moment.

Highly recommened!

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #80 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aysion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only got one tri-flange with my AI-M6. Is that supposed to happen? o-o

No, I don't believe so
frown.gif
. Shoot meelec an email or give them a call. I personally find the tri-flanges quite useless on the M6 but I would still want them paired, perhaps for some other IEM.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #81 of 473
Cool, more updates.

I hope you're having fun with all of those earphones.
tongue.gif

I know it's not something commonly discussed with a lot of these more budget level and midrange earphones, especially anything that isn't of high ohm and/or oddly low sensitivity, but many earphones do benefit from a little extra juice. Many times this will improve dynamics slightly and add a little control to the bass response.

I bring this up in regard to the Vibe. They do benefit decently from amping. A good bit of the undesirable traits you discuss about the Vibe does largely improve with a little extra juice. They don't magically turn into great earphones, but the bottom end does snug up a bit. For as bad as the Vibe does a lot of things, it is a surprisingly fun earphone to listen to. Add a little wattage and fiddle with some EQing, and they do improve considerably.

This is actually kind of the case with a lot of budget level earphones. You can never make miracles, but you can fix a lot of faults if you've got the EQ processing on hand to do so. You can bring out the lacking midrange in the Vibe and cut the treble peak on the NE-7M and largely cut their most blaring faults.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #82 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you're having fun with all of those earphones.
tongue.gif

Oh yes. Especially the obscure budget stuff that noone cares about
wink.gif
. In the pursuit of the best possible sound we sometimes forget how much music can be enjoyed straight out of a portable player with a $20 pair of earphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's not something commonly discussed with a lot of these more budget level and midrange earphones, especially anything that isn't of high ohm and/or oddly low sensitivity, but many earphones do benefit from a little extra juice. Many times this will improve dynamics slightly and add a little control to the bass response.

I bring this up in regard to the Vibe. They do benefit decently from amping. A good bit of the undesirable traits you discuss about the Vibe does largely improve with a little extra juice. They don't magically turn into great earphones, but the bottom end does snug up a bit. For as bad as the Vibe does a lot of things, it is a surprisingly fun earphone to listen to. Add a little wattage and fiddle with some EQing, and they do improve considerably.

This is actually kind of the case with a lot of budget level earphones. You can never make miracles, but you can fix a lot of faults if you've got the EQ processing on hand to do so. You can bring out the lacking midrange in the Vibe and cut the treble peak on the NE-7M and largely cut their most blaring faults.

Thanks for the input. You're very right - unlike the S4 and Turbines I didn't run the vibe through an amp - it's an iphone headset and there is no mic-less version (of the Vibe II). Running it through an amp ruins that capability so it seemed a little counter-intuitive to juice it. I'll give it a try with the mini3 later this week. I agree that the vibe can be a lot of fun but it just didn't make much sense to me side-by-side with the MetroFi 220 and Turbines, both of which have the fun factor as well but are considerably less flawed (or, in the case of the UEs, at least cheaper and more comfy ><).

More updates coming soon. I also hope to tabulate the results and have a short wrap up/guide sometime during the holidays.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #84 of 473
Nice thread! My brother doesn't want to drop $300 on IEMs like I did on the GR8. He wants something for about $100 or less, so this should help us find him a pair. Of course we will be going to 32 Ohm to try out IEMs, but they don't sell everything.

Can you recommend one of yours for rock music in that price range? He does like my Grados alot so like the highs and mids upfront. Perhaps something with more bass than the REO though?

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #85 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by 408mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So RE0 wins over s4 and turbines? Mostly listen to trance. How would the Hippo VB weigh in here? Strictly paired with an MP3 player.

"wins" is a loaded word. Do I think the RE0s are better value? Yes. Do I prefer their sound to the S4 and Turbines? Yes. Does that mean you will like them more? No. For trance the Turbines win easily in my book. That fast, textured bass makes them very near perfect trance phones. There's currently a refurb set on B&H for $75, which makes them pretty darn good value as well.

I haven't tried the Hippos, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice thread! My brother doesn't want to drop $300 on IEMs like I did on the GR8. He wants something for about $100 or less, so this should help us find him a pair. Of course we will be going to 32 Ohm to try out IEMs, but they don't sell everything.

Can you recommend one of yours for rock music in that price range? He does like my Grados alot so like the highs and mids upfront. Perhaps something with more bass than the REO though?

Thanks. If you rule out the RE0s and hunt for more upfront mids you may want to look at the S4s despite the flaws I found with them. A lot of people don't share my attitude towards them and they certainly do have plenty of bass. S4s aside, I really like the Maximo Im-590s for metal but they are nowhere near the top of your price range. Haven't reviewed them in full yet so I'll reserve final judgment until I do, but they are really balanced phones for the money.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #86 of 473
Hmm would a Sansa clip + have enough juice to make the Turbines sing? What about the Turbines vs ATH-CKS70? Lastly, what is B&H? I might pick these up, based on your recomendation. Oh and since you live just south of me (im in the bay area) you have any cool stuff you want to sell? Just askin...Oh quick edit I found those used Turbines you were talking about. Haver till monday to make my decision im torn between the Turbines RE0s and Hippos. And then price wise THEY ARE ALL THE SAME with RE0s on sale for 75, turbines refurb for 79 and hippos about same. AAARRGGGGHHHH!!!! Which ones will keep the best seal especially if used while exercising? Maybe that will help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"wins" is a loaded word. Do I think the RE0s are better value? Yes. Do I prefer their sound to the S4 and Turbines? Yes. Does that mean you will like them more? No. For trance the Turbines win easily in my book. That fast, textured bass makes them very near perfect trance phones. There's currently a refurb set on B&H for $75, which makes them pretty darn good value as well.

I haven't tried the Hippos, sorry.

Thanks. If you rule out the RE0s and hunt for more upfront mids you may want to look at the S4s despite the flaws I found with them. A lot of people don't share my attitude towards them and they certainly do have plenty of bass. S4s aside, I really like the Maximo Im-590s for metal but they are nowhere near the top of your price range. Haven't reviewed them in full yet so I'll reserve final judgment until I do, but they are really balanced phones for the money.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #87 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by 408mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm would a Sansa clip + have enough juice to make the Turbines sing? What about the Turbines vs ATH-CKS70? Lastly, what is B&H? I might pick these up, based on your recommendation. Oh and since you live just south of me (im in the bay area) you have any cool stuff you want to sell? Just askin...

Yeah, a clip+ should play nice with the Turbines. They don't benefit from more power much more than most IEMs. My Fuze works well with them. I haven't tried the CKS70 either (lol, my experience with IEMs is looking severely limited now). B&H is bhphotovideo.com. Here are the refurb turbines. Really, $75 is a solid price for these, especially for trance - I'd give them a 9/10 in value at that price point.

Sorry, not selling the Turbines
biggrin.gif
. I only have them for an extended audition anyway. If you're interested in any of the budget-priced IEMs I've reviewed feel free to shoot me a pm. Most of them end up sitting in a desk drawer for months before I finally get around to selling them.

Edit: seal depends on the tips you use. The Turbines are physically on the heavy side but I didn't have a single issue with them falling out when worn over-the-ear. The medium single-flange tips fit me like a glove. RE0s probably don't have the bass you're looking for so you may as well rule them out.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #88 of 473
Thanks! Awesome awesome thread BTW. SO I am going to get the turbines on monday along with the sansa. I'm pretty excited seeing as Ipods with stock buds is all I have ever really heard.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #90 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the recommendations.
beerchug.gif
I think the store stocks both of those so we'll try them first. I may have already tried them in my 3 hour blitz, but can't remember exactly all the models in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back