MST Audio's Cio mb DAC with dual DAC chips
May 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

shigzeo

The Hiss King

For full MST Cio mb article with pics, etc., check here.

Just to get this out there, MST of FiQuest fame is working on a cool, tiny DAC for portable audio. My review isn't yet done, so cheer me on. This thing is tiny, and sounds good. I think it is also pretty cleverly made. OEM'd by iBasso, there is a lot of similarity in its extruded lines: faceplate, main case, and even battery component is familiar, but a good melding of MST and iBasso.

It is easy to get into, change battery, and easy to use, providing you have optical output. For computer audiophiles, this is a GREAT addition, though you'll have to have a real computer, not a cheapo HP or something. 

Because the Cio mb sports dual DAC chips, it isn't too far-fetched to imagine that MST could pull a balanced DAC out of this and ... a balanced amp? Who knows, and for the moment, who cares? Why I am excited is many reasons, but optical is just great for catching low CPU usage for music/movies from a computer, or instant plug-in ability for real audio systems.

Review will come later. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 20
Cio MB - Coax Mod

I add coax-in port for my coax mod iHP.

This DAC has 2 blank solder pad for S/PDIF input.
Easy to add coax port.

CS8416 receiver has RXP0 - 7 = 8 AES3/SPDIF Input and RXP 0, 2, 3 is available with this DAC.
( RXP 2 is occupied for optical TOSLINK)
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS8416_F3.pdf

In the following picture, right side is solder pad of RXP0 and left side is RXP3

I add coax port (not real coax,,, something like Hifiman... 
smile.gif
) using with stereo mini jack.

- Remove charge selector switch
 - short all selector switch terminals ( fixed for charge mode)
 - put stereo mini jack
 - wire above pad and GND
 - extend switch hole of face plate

It is better sound than optical
dt880smile.png

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 20
why not use real mini BNC coax from lemo 00 series?

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 20
nice
wink.gif
did you make the wooden case? oh yeah I get why, i'm using oyaide rhodium mini-> lemo 00 series at the moment until I get around to installing the lemo socket on my iriver, fits no problem, just need to work out how to fasten it properly on the inside. also need to change termination resistors to 50R in the iriver, I already have 50R input transformer on my spdif input.

plus lemos are SEXY, locking and gold over copper alloy terminals with PEEK dielectric.

rocking the OPA1641 in the pFiQ at the moment too, you guys really should try this chip. I think I still like AD797 better, but the 1641 sure is growing on me, I love Jfet input opamps and this one has lowest distortion of any opamp Ti has ever tested. they had to develope a new instrumentation amplifier to allow them to measure any at all

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp 

why not use real mini BNC coax from lemo 00 series?

Coz I recommended him to use easily way to make compatible with mini to mini interconnects.

Quote:
rocking the OPA1641 in the pFiQ at the moment too, you guys really should try this chip.

Had you tried OPA2209 yet?

Our cio MB (Dual 8740 standalone DACs) preorder will begin soon.

MB-1 (AD8616 as LPF): $245
MB-2 (OPA2211 as LPF): $255
Capacitor update for each models: $5
As...
for 1, KW 3300uF/6.3V
for 2, FW 3300uF/6.3V

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 20
Thank you very much for your kind support, ryuzoh.
I am very happy with this metal S/PDIF mod especially for cable compatibility
k701smile.gif

(and of course better sound quality)

And congratulations for your company launch and Fi.Q / MB pre-order starting!
I hope you and your colleagues will have good business and continuously put interesting amps on the market.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Will the next batch of cio MB have coax?

No, this is first batch and same as in the pics above.
MB is aiming iHP and optical-out market (as for PCDP and Macbookpros).
I'm guessing who wants metallic digital out for their portable use (this is very few choices currently) can easily archive this.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Had you tried OPA2209 yet?

Our cio MB (Dual 8740 standalone DACs) preorder will begin soon.

MB-1 (AD8616 as LPF): $245
MB-2 (OPA2211 as LPF): $255
Capacitor update for each models: $5
As...
for 1, KW 3300uF/6.3V
for 2, FW 3300uF/6.3V

no not yet, I generally stay away from dual chips, is there OPA209? ll the same you have me interested now, always keen to try something else. if I didnt have my dac I would be all over this, hell I may still grab one at these prices for something compact to use perhaps with ipad camera connection kit and spdif dongle. I think OPA1642 would make excellent dac filter upgrade, I can send you a couple if you like?

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
no not yet, I generally stay away from dual chips, is there OPA209? ll the same you have me interested now, always keen to try something else. if I didnt have my dac I would be all over this, hell I may still grab one at these prices for something compact to use perhaps with ipad camera connection kit and spdif dongle. I think OPA1642 would make excellent dac filter upgrade, I can send you a couple if you like?

OPAx209 series were announced from TI in last year once, but product page had disappeared within several months.
And it reappeared as preview this year, and dual version 2209 can be sampled.
OPA1641/1642 had been tested, and beat others in my comparison with other FET-audio graded OPAMPs as vs OPAx604 and LME49880.
But in vs OPAx134, this was very closed with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back