msr7, m70x, Bose 25 for on the go?
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dexter22

500+ Head-Fier
I was looking for a headphone for my wife and she doesn't carry any heavy devices around. No stacking, no ho end dap, just an iPod nano 7th gen. Currently she has a momentum on ear 1st gen which she doesn't use due to the sound leakage. So this is my priority: comfort, isolation( no leakage too as she doesn't want to disturb others), and sound quality. She liked the looks of the msr7 brown version, but I read it's not the right one for due to the protities. Is m70x portable? Or would it look like a huge helmet?! I have a beoplay h6 and though she liked it a lot she doesn't want the same. I have chosen qc 25 to the list due to its portability factor. Does it sound good with a nano?

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Here's my thoughts based on the headphones mentioned. I've listened to the QC25, and while it's better sounding than its sibling, the QC15, I wouldn't call it say, an audiophile type headphone. It's a fantastic headphone to travel with, and its noise cancelling is pretty darn good.

I've used the ATH-MSR7 out my iPhone 6+ without issues, and it sounds great. I've just recently posted about it here and here, but I can't really tell you about sound leakage, since no one is around to aid me in that test at the moment.  

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 12
  Here's my thoughts based on the headphones mentioned. I've listened to the QC25, and while it's better sounding than its sibling, the QC15, I wouldn't call it say, an audiophile type headphone. It's a fantastic headphone to travel with, and its noise cancelling is pretty darn good.

I've used the ATH-MSR7 out my iPhone 6+ without issues, and it sounds great. I've just recently posted about it here and here, but I can't really tell you about sound leakage, since no one is around to aid me in that test at the moment.  

Like I have mentioned, it will only be sourced from an iPod nano, so I don't expect anything to be magical there. The problem is most audiophile stuff looks odd, nerdy, and non-practical(I meant most, on a budget under 250€ or dollars) I found the Beoplay to be a good blend between all these, but I dont need two of them in the home.:wink: 

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Hey, Dexter!

One thing I've tried out and is great with isolation is the Sony MDR10RNC. It isolates better than the QC15 (can't really tell for the QC25, because I've heard them ages apart from each other) and definitely sounds better.

In regards with the others, the ATH-M70X are pretty portable, since they fold and come with multiple, detachable cables, but I would still pick the MSR7 over them. The MSR7 is not a headphone that folds, it only has pads that turn so you can store them easily in their travel case, but I would still pick them due to their better sound.

I found the MSR7 very comfortable with my head and ears, but it doesn't isolate as well as the Bose (or the MDR10RNC I suggested).

Hope this helps :)

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 12
  Hey, Dexter!

One thing I've tried out and is great with isolation is the Sony MDR10RNC. It isolates better than the QC15 (can't really tell for the QC25, because I've heard them ages apart from each other) and definitely sounds better.

In regards with the others, the ATH-M70X are pretty portable, since they fold and come with multiple, detachable cables, but I would still pick the MSR7 over them. The MSR7 is not a headphone that folds, it only has pads that turn so you can store them easily in their travel case, but I would still pick them due to their better sound.

I found the MSR7 very comfortable with my head and ears, but it doesn't isolate as well as the Bose (or the MDR10RNC I suggested).

Hope this helps :)

Thank you for the suggestion..  I will try to have a demo of the Sony, and Audiotechnica is nowhere on demo in my place. So, let me see, if that works out tomorrow.

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 12
@Dexter22--

One more that is less expensive than what you are looking at that you might consider for her is the Takstar Pro 80 (also known as the Gemini HSR-1000). It is a largely neutral can that IMO is one of the best under-$100 closed hp on the market. Its price belies how good it is, Something else to consider.

On the other end of the price spectrum is the smooth, terrific Meze 99 Classics. It has sort of small ear cups, so ear size could be a factor, but it is a very good portable can. Quite beautiful, too. It could potentially work. :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 12
@Dexter22--

One more that is less expensive than what you are looking at that you might consider for her is the Takstar Pro 80 (also known as the Gemini HSR-1000). It is a largely neutral can that IMO is one of the best under-$100 closed hp on the market. Its price belies how good it is, Something else to consider.

On the other end of the price spectrum is the smooth, terrific Meze 99 Classics. It has sort of small ear cups, so ear size could be a factor, but it is a very good portable can. Quite beautiful, too. It could potentially work. :)

I looked at all of the suggestions and since she is a person with no big head i thought of taking a chance with the msr7. Aesthetics matters too. We prefer a subtle style. Not too industrial, not too flashy. To me the meze looks cool but for an outdoor only use its bit overdone. Other one i liked was sony mdr 1a, but the bass bloat and the 3.5mm connector was a problem. Hope msr7works for us. Thanks for the suggestions. By the way i loved styling of the brown msr7. :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 12
Hehe, Nice choice, the brown MSR7 is indeed quite the looker.

Let us know how she liked it. I, for one, really love that headphone, hope I'm not biased because of it :D

May 10, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 12
Sound isolation and confort wise go for qc25 for clarity m70x (these isolate really good but aren't as confortable as qc 25 because of the metal they have to isolate they are a bit heavier) and for color of sound msr7 these aren't that confortable

May 11, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 12
Given the price drop I ended up getting another B & O H6, which I found to be a better value. (Got another colour.!) MSR7 given the dimensions were same as Sony MDR 1A, we tried the MDR's and that was bit bulky for a small person we got here! So, since there weren't much options left. But I am still leaning on getting a MSR7, but may be a month away again. 

May 11, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 12
  Given the price drop I ended up getting another B & O H6, which I found to be a better value. (Got another colour.!) MSR7 given the dimensions were same as Sony MDR 1A, we tried the MDR's and that was bit bulky for a small person we got here! So, since there weren't much options left. But I am still leaning on getting a MSR7, but may be a month away again. 

I found out recently that they made a MSR7NC. Active Noise cancelling. I don't know anything about it, but I'm just hoping it's a MSR7 with an additional feature :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back