MSN article: Why Skullcandy Is SO Hot
Apr 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any business that makes as much profit as skullcandy is hot in my book.

And I love the irony in this ad...

281wh8w.jpg

lolololol

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jplaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the people that think Skullcandies have "amazing" sound quality are just suffering from the placebo effect.

or they have just never heard "amazing". The general public don't require high end headphones because they don't know what they are missing out on
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come to think of it, she does kind of resemble something of an aging **** star...

EDIT: What, since when has the word **** been classified as vulgar? seems the forum automatically censored the word with stars.

EDIT 2: there it goes again, even if I use a zero... ok here, "PR0N"... let's see if it takes now.

EDIT 3: yep, Pr0n works...

"my psusy is so hot."

^_^ teehee

you loves da pr0nz!
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin.T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe it's my cynical nature that leads me to believe that most people would prefer loud to dynamic if subjected to a direct comparison. But I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who truly do. Look at how remasters today are being eaten up and how people will describe the original release as having an "old, weak sound".

The industry might have started the loudness fad, but it only became a "war" after the consumers have responded positively to it, which is why we're in this situation today.

PS.: chinesekiwi, check your feedback thread!
smile.gif

Again its consumer ignorance though. If people are told its better they'll assume it is and hear improvements that dont really exist then write in their reviews about how great said improvements are.

Plus its an old and proven tactic. The louder music is the better it sounds because you will hear more. Its that simple. That does not condone what is being done though. As i said, if you want louder you just turn the volume up.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin.T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they designed products based on the needs of a market.

IMO, This is an example of a company indulging the market's mediocre/superficial wants for a profit... you won't see them explaining the nature of sound and breaking it down like senn does, by explaining exactely how their headphones work and what makes a good headphone.

Rather, they want their target audience to remain gullible and unaware, as long as they keep making money. And this generally applies to all markets, hence why advertising is so effective... sad really. If people were more descerning, they wouldn't be so easily duped by a bunch of fancy colors and attention grabing language, and as such, companies would know better than to spend their money on marketing, and instead spend it on making a better overall product.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #66 of 68
I think that a lot of people are missing the point. Most of the Skullcandy market doesn't care much about sound quality. The company it not "tricking" people into buying a product because of its aesthetics. People buy Skullcandy headphones because of the way they look. Personally, I think that they look stupid, but obviously many people do not. I don't see what is so upsetting about this with this. Should we get mad when someone buys trendy clothes? After all, they could get higher performance clothes at an outdoor sports store.

I have never tried Skullcandy headphones, but I would imagine that they sound significantly better than ipod ear buds or most other headphones in the $20 range that Skullcandy users would probably buy instead. I don't think that companies like Skullcandy are really taking away a significant part of the market from Hi-fi companies like Sennheiser, AKG, Grado etc, so I don't see what there is to get upset about.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by d2k5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that a lot of people are missing the point. Most of the Skullcandy market doesn't care much about sound quality. The company it not "tricking" people into buying a product because of its aesthetics. People buy Skullcandy headphones because of the way they look. Personally, I think that they look stupid, but obviously many people do not. I don't see what is so upsetting about this with this. Should we get mad when someone buys trendy clothes? After all, they could get higher performance clothes at an outdoor sports store.

I have never tried Skullcandy headphones, but I would imagine that they sound significantly better than ipod ear buds or most other headphones in the $20 range that Skullcandy users would probably buy instead. I don't think that companies like Skullcandy are really taking away a significant part of the market from Hi-fi companies like Sennheiser, AKG, Grado etc, so I don't see what there is to get upset about.

IIRC someone was talking about how the stock ibuds sounded better than the skullcandies, something like that. I'm sure the guy who posted that will be here sooner or later.

But this man has a point, people don't care how headphones sound anymore, they just want them to look good. I have a friend that says she doesn't want to listen to my headphones because she might become like me. (Someone who finds it reasonable to spend a ton of cash on headphones and critique them on their sound quality, etc.)

Maybe if koss started marketing the KSC 75.....

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #68 of 68
Just to establish my own disposition on this issue; my previous statements are merely observations. I am far from mad, but am actually quite amused by this example of consumer seduction through exaggerated marketing. MSN is really helping hawk some junk, not only to consumers, but also to investors.

I'd have to disagree though, in that the skullcandy market does actually care about sound quality, but they just don't know any better since they have no experience and do not know how to assess the value of what they are getting... sort of like young first time car buyers who have never been told what to watch out for on the car lot, etc.

But such is the nature of capitalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back