MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #106 of 740
I'm curious if anyone (Tari, Dan?) has heard both the Overdrive SE and the Analog Dac. I'm undecided between these two-and will be pulling the trigger on one or the other this winter sometime. I also think that Steve at Empirical will have an Updated Overdrive by then with the OR6 implementation-throwing another wrench into my plans. Bah.

-Daniel

I read that OR6 (cannot remember where) will be XMOS based, and a total redesign from the OR5. So the next version of Overdrive will be XMOS based also?

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #108 of 740
Never heard the SE.  I was supposed to buy one two years ago when it had a plainer chassis, but that was predicated on Steve sending me out a demo unit, which he had sold.  At the time I wasn't willing to spend that much on a DAC from a one-man shop who had to that point been making too many upgrades in too short a time.  Its a more stable build right now, but honestly the MSB does not have me looking over fences at this point.  Unless I need something cheap, I'm sticking with this company.  

Module-wise, the Analog is on par with (or better than) the Platinum IV+ (not from experience, rather from MSB) .  I'm told the Signature IV+ is a step up, obviously they'd say the Diamond is yet another.  These steps are really expensive though.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #111 of 740
Hello everyone. I ordered anlog DAC 15 august 2013.  larry said they (MSB) can not ship until 27 september 2013. He said anolog dac is "hot product" So i am so exciting 

I want to ask question you audio experts

What do you think anolog dac vs vinyl records ? I mean I know digital music does not catch up original anolog music (vinyl and turntable)

Can anolog dac change this rule ? (of course digital music record quality and hd files are very important for comparable)

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #112 of 740
  Hello everyone. I ordered anlog DAC 15 august 2013.  larry said they (MSB) can not ship until 27 september 2013. He said anolog dac is "hot product" So i am so exciting 

What do you think anolog dac vs vinyl records ? I mean I know digital music does not catch up original anolog music (vinyl and turntable)

Can anolog dac change this rule ? (of course digital music record quality and hd files are very important for comparable)

It was way above the turntables I have listened to, but didn't hear a lot of them.

However the sound of analog dac is as the name suggests. It flows effortless and natural. Even though it is very very detailed compared to what I have at home, it is not by any means analitical. It sounded more analog than some turntables I listened to.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #114 of 740

The Analog DAC will not make digital sound like vinyl.  Obviously, it also won't change the master in any way, which is often what makes vinyl sound "superior" in either case.

The good thing is, it does not suffer from digititus like much of the current crop of DACs out there (I blame the Sabre rattlers.)  So, the superior (theoretical) range of digital without some of its perceived drawbacks.

I would wager that for vinyl die-hards, nothing digital will ever compare.  But for those with an open mind, the Analog DAC is very, very good.  

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #115 of 740

The Analog DAC will not make digital sound like vinyl.  Obviously, it also won't change the master in any way, which is often what makes vinyl sound "superior" in either case.

The good thing is, it does not suffer from digititus like much of the current crop of DACs out there (I blame the Sabre rattlers.)  So, the superior (theoretical) range of digital without some of its perceived drawbacks.

I would wager that for vinyl die-hards, nothing digital will ever compare.  But for those with an open mind, the Analog DAC is very, very good.

Just order an Overdrive SE and make up my mind already. :p

-Daniel

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #116 of 740

Inorite?! I will be mine.

-Daniel

i think i will get this....like next year or in 2 yrs, by then maybe an analog dac II will exist 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back