MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #706 of 740

Lovely setup, congrats ! I couldn't help notice you are running the Volume at 106 on the Select. Is that just for the photo or your usual level? 

Thanks Simon. I have gone back and forth on that. According to the manual, unless I misread it, the unit's max output is at 106, except for DSD, where it reverts automatically to 100. I have been unable to discern any difference between the two levels in my setup.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #707 of 740
I wud hope that there is a aes 67 or aoip implementation such as ravenna that will really benefits the MSB. Better move away from the crappy usb.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #708 of 740
I wud hope that there is a aes 67 or aoip implementation such as ravenna that will really benefits the MSB. Better move away from the crappy usb.

Agreed. I have said more than once that I hate USB.  But I don't see Ravenna being the answer. I like the Ravenna implementation in the Merging NADAC, but it's still somewhat kludgy. There tech is powerful, but it doesn't "feel" that way with the NADAC. I shouldn't need to run the DAC from another PC or Mac. Complete PITA. Roon is the obvious answer for the Network Renderer.

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #709 of 740

Thanks Simon. I have gone back and forth on that. According to the manual, unless I misread it, the unit's max output is at 106, except for DSD, where it reverts automatically to 100. I have been unable to discern any difference between the two levels in my setup.

It depends on amp to amp, however with mine I find that a level beyond 92 adds a little flattening of the sound stage and compresses the dynamics, this is due to overloading the single ended inputs on the amp. Its worth experimenting with to find the optimum level. MSB recommend running the Select's volume at 92 if linked to an external pre-amp or in our case an integrated amplifier.

Re the inputs, I use AES 110ohm I find it more satisfying than USB. I also us the 75ohm BNC word clock sync with my source so the Source's clock is then slaved to the DAC's Femto clock.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #710 of 740
Starting from Diamond, the MSB volume controls are really excellent imo. Although not ideal in the first place, and depending on your amp, it may be worth experimenting maxing the volume on your integrated and use the MSB one. 

Or best yet use a balanced power amp. In my case I am using speakers most of the time, so I had one readily available. Your planars will reward you. :)

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #711 of 740

It depends on amp to amp, however with mine I find that a level beyond 92 adds a little flattening of the sound stage and compresses the dynamics, this is due to overloading the single ended inputs on the amp. Its worth experimenting with to find the optimum level. MSB recommend running the Select's volume at 92 if linked to an external pre-amp or in our case an integrated amplifier.

Re the inputs, I use AES 110ohm I find it more satisfying than USB. I also us the 75ohm BNC word clock sync with my source so the Source's clock is then slaved to the DAC's Femto clock.

Simon, I appreciate the input, so to speak. 
biggrin.gif
 The Select runs into my balanced Mjölnir Carbon CC. So there shouldn't be any issue with overloading single-ended inputs for me.

I was less than thrilled with AES on the Totaldac. I mean, it was okay, but it colored my viewpoint, and so when choosing input options on my Select, I decided to forego it. Of course, part of my problem might be the somewhat convoluted path my data takes through the d-1 server to get to the DAC. My plan all along was to rely primarily the network renderer with the Select, and I am sure I will either get there on Roon, or continue with the LANRover, which has been very satisfying so far, or return to UPnP. No need to worry about another clock in either case for me. I accepted MSB's assertions around external clocks. And again, I am a network guy, so i never went down that path.

I looked for the MSB recommendation on the 92 level, but could not find it. Can you point me? Anyway, I will definitely try that. The Mjölnir has plenty of gain, so if  92 is better, though 100 is "normal" per the manual, then it is what it is!

negura, I agree that the MSB preamp seems quite good. Ironically, it was one of the reasons I initially chose to put MSB in my "think about later" list—didn't want or need a real [though passive] preamp in my DAC. I have a very good passive preamp in my speaker system, the balanced LDR by Tortuga, but i did not believe I needed one in my headphone rig. Still, it's a bonus with the Select, I guess.So, it's just a matter of finding the right balance in the respective volume controls. I have no desire to replace the Mjölnir Carbon CC as the power for my Stax. It's a superb amp.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #712 of 740
You will find it on page 10 of the owners manual there is are reference to setting the volume to 94 if you are using an external pre-amp. I find it changes a fair bit according to the pre-amp/amp and whether it is single ended or balanced. It took me a while to realise that was the issue holding back its full potential as I was overloading the single ended inputs on my Valve Amp and for me 92 is the sweet spot. as usual YMMV.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #713 of 740
  You will find it on page 10 of the owners manual there is are reference to setting the volume to 94 if you are using an external pre-amp. I find it changes a fair bit according to the pre-amp/amp and whether it is single ended or balanced. It took me a while to realise that was the issue holding back its full potential as I was overloading the single ended inputs on my Valve Amp and for me 92 is the sweet spot. as usual YMMV.

Thanks Simon. I really appreciate it. I had re-read the manual twice, and I obviously blew right past that. 
confused_face.gif

I wonder, too, how much of this is affected by whatever our amps' sweet spots are? I have had the repeated experience that some amps just open up at different power levels. I will start with 94 right now! Time for a little Piano Music In A Church. Marvelous recording.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #714 of 740
Anyone made the jump for this?

http://www.msbtechnology.com/mqa-has-arrived/

Having the DAC V, I have to wait for now, but would appreciate impressions vs the "old" Quad rate, with normal PCM content.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #715 of 740
  Anyone made the jump for this?

http://www.msbtechnology.com/mqa-has-arrived/

Having the DAC V, I have to wait for now, but would appreciate impressions vs the "old" Quad rate, with normal PCM content.

I have requested the swap for my Select. I am philosophically not an MQA fan, but I do want to see what it sounds like on this machine.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #716 of 740
I am interested if it sounds any different with normal content, although probably hard to verify.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #717 of 740
is there any new chips being used ? e.g. xmos XU216 ?

when I used the quad USB, it was only mediocre as compared to the Singxer F-1. what a premium.

until now, I am still using F-1. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #718 of 740
  is there any new chips being used ? e.g. xmos XU216 ?

when I used the quad USB, it was only mediocre as compared to the Singxer F-1. what a premium.

until now, I am still using F-1. 

Mediocre? To each their own I guess. On what equipment did you install the QuadUSB module? I don't see any MSB DACs in your sig or profile.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #719 of 740
  I am interested if it sounds any different with normal content, although probably hard to verify.

Will be difficult, because in order to get the free upgrade, I have to swap my current QuadUSB module. Vince told me shipping "soon." I am not inclined to ask for a demo to compare the two modules, but other owners might be willing to slot both side-by-side and see how they compare.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #720 of 740
i dont know how to edit the signature already.may be to each of its own. USB cant really do GI.

check rednet thread for more detail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back