MS1i's + 3GS and an amp or not worth it?
Apr 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CEE TEE

Member of the Trade: NITSCH
After HOURS of reading through Head-Fi, I bought Alessandro MS-1i’s and I LOVE them. In fact, they have blown me away so much for the money that I sound like a Scientologist when I talk about them. (I paid for them on a Sunday and they came that Wednesday, BTW. Thanks Alessandro for not making me wait a long time.)
Now I’ve spent many more hours looking at portable set-ups of Head-Fiers and I am not sure if I should just enjoy the new cans or if I could have another incredible purchase by picking up an amp. Sounds like Grados don’t really need amps though and there is not much difference…
I am using an iPhone 3gs. From my reading, it appears that many on Head-Fi believe that the 3gs has a good DAC built in that is better than any of the regular ipods. I would love to get a huge ipod to put much more music on, but then I would have to also get an amp with a DAC or a separate DAC, right?
So, I am thinking that I will just use the iPhone 16GB and keep cycling different music through it.
My main question is if I would really benefit from spending up to about $160 on a Headphone amp (maybe Corda Headsix?) or if it isn’t worth the hassle of carrying around and the price. I saw some on another thread recommending the iBasso T3 also...
Should just be happy with what I have? Thanks everyone at Head-Fi!
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 18
You're not telling us you use the Alessandro's outside from the house are you? That would be insane
tongue.gif
Very stupid IMO. You would need to turn up your music loud to hear over other people and vehicles outside and they would hear your music too. Anyway, IMO, no, a portable amp is not worth it. Anything with tubes would be worth it for a Grado IMO. It affects the sound quality a lot, where as I can't tell much, if any difference between my Zero DAC/AMP and a Burson HA-160 with Grado's. Just more detail is what I got out of the Burson
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 18
Hello, Stang. Thank you for some feedback. I listen at home before I sleep and I do bring to work also, my office is pretty quiet and my phones don't bother anybody. I have asked others if they hear them at all and they don't. We all have our own cubicles. The size of them have the biggest impact if anything. I am kind of hooked since the first $110 I spent pays such dividends that I was considering buying either starting on the PAV2 route to Headsix or iBasso T3 or an LOD and a big iPod + DAC/amp.

Once I realized what I was missing it has made me wonder what else I am missing. I don't have any friends that have already gone through this to show me the way or tell me I should just stop where I'm at. So, thanks for any input!

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 18
Personally, I prefer tube amplifiers (MY Qinpu A3 for sale got me into tubes), but there are very little portable amplifiers that are hybrids or tube. I would recommend something like a tube amp with a long 3.5mm interconnect so you can have the iPod as close to you as you want. I didn't use a DAC for a while with my Qinpu A3 and it sounded fine, no complaints at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you want to go the portable route or the desktop route?

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 18
Wow, I am actually just testing out a Radio Shack 3-Channel Headphone Volume Booster that a new guy at work lent me because he said that it would improve Bass response. He was right and this thing was supposedly $20. I ordered a FiiO E5 as an experiment today and now I know I want to start down the amp road. But I do want portable because I will use at home and work. I'll research your Qinpu but I am now starting to think LOD + big iPod + DAC/amp. If portable wasn't issue I would look tube.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 18
Stang, you have some really nice equipment. I am trying to ease in at the same time that I don't want to buy a lot of cheaper intermediate stuff that I won't even want later. It is just hard because I don't even know what is possible and would love to stay below the range where I am too scared to carry around my great rig because it cost too much.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 18
The Fiio E5 is really just going to add distortion and more bass. Your ears may not be able to pick the difference right now, but once you listen to a better rig, you will ask yourself how did I listen to that junk
biggrin.gif
Tubes are great with Grado's, but yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I can see you in the future owning a Work rig and a Home rig and a portable rig
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 18
bigsmile_face.gif
Thanks, Stang. Yeah, maybe I'll just use the junky FiiO with earbuds when I work out. I am now considering a really nice amp/DAC combo. Maybe an iBasso. This is how people start saying "Damn you Head-Fi" while smiling...

I'll keep reading and will sketch out some scenarios of portable rigs and see how many people already have similar and what they think of them. If I still don't have confidence that I am choosing something that seems like it will work I will post my top three possibilities and see who votes for what. I appreciate your actually replying to me and will look up Qinpu and keep tubes in mind for the future. Thanks again...

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 18
No problem
biggrin.gif
A good DAC/AMP combo would be the iBasso D4. A good portable amp is the iBasso T3. It all depends if you want a better DAC or not. IMO, the iPhone's DAC should be plenty good for the MS1i. We aren't talking AKG K701 here
tongue.gif
BTW, you are going to want a COPPER LOD that is compatible with iPhone 3GS
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Dear Stang, I want to take your advice and get the D4 Mamba.

1. Where can I find it though?
2. Should I get the iBasso CB07 LOD for $36?
3. Do you know if I have to be in airplane mode with my iPhone 3gs if I use the LOD?
4. What kind of rubber band can I use to keep phone and D4 or iPod and D4 together?

THANK you for your support. I think this will just make me happy and later I can get the iPod and maybe some IEMs for noisy environments.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 18
Apr 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks, Stang. I looked at the FS and anytime a D4 comes up, it sells right away. Also, people post that they WTB one. So I'll just wait and buy it from iBasso when available.

Cool, I saw the link for the LOD. Read that the Switchcraft is the way to go so that seems good.

I'm glad I don't have to be in airplane mode, that's great news. Wow, this unit seems perfect for me!

Would consider probably in the $120-$150 range for IEMs, wouldn't want anything that would hurt TOO badly if something happened to them.

Again, thanks for being a voice out there...

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 18
You could always get the RE0s. Almost everyone seems to like them and prefer them over the UE TripleFi 10 Pro
biggrin.gif
They are only $79: Head-Direct.com | YUIN

No problem, I am glad I can help
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back