MS-2 = love vs. MS-PROs <> love
Sep 6, 2005 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
redface.gif
Why is it that everyone loves the MS-2s but I rarely hear about the MS-Pros. I have read the reviews, I am just wondering why I always see people suggesting the MS-2s but I very rarely see anyone suggesting the MS-pros. Generally you hear the RS-1s suggested as upgrade from the 325i or MS2s.

I am thinking there will be quite a few opinions on this one..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes the MS-Pros are quite elusive, i am lucky enough myself to have a pair, and I came from the MS-2.

The MS-Pro is apparently more neutral to the RS-1, the RS-1 having more(looser?) bass and more forward and extended highs. The MS-Pro's after-all are for "musicians"
smily_headphones1.gif

I would probaby prefer an RS-1 myself but none was availible to me at the time when I had the money for high end cans.

The differences between the MS-2 and the MS-Pro are small, but that small change can mean alot to the right person (Including me), your going from a drier, brighter sound to a warm, lush and perhaps darker sound, a tad more detail too (especially on string instruments), and a smidgeon more bass.

edit: oh yes i forgot to add, price/performace ratio comes into play, and if people are willing to spend more than the MS-2, the RS-1 would probably provide a livelier listen.

Sep 6, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 14
I think it's because few people can afford them. They don't get a lot of exposure as a subset of the Grado family - it seems that a lot of people prefer the colored sound of RS-1's to the more neutral Alessandros. I'd get all three Alessandros, if I had the money.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 14
i've heard both the ms-pro and ms-2 and i can honestly say that the differences between the ms-2 and ms-pro is very importnat to me, for me the ms-2 was very boring, while the ms-pro is very fast and not boring at all

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 14
Plus in the U.S., you can only get a new pair through the unsecure Alessandro website or by repeatedly calling them and hope to get lucky that someone will pick up the phone
rolleyes.gif

The RS-1s, on the other hand, are readily available from Todd or a local hi-fi dealer.

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 14
it's a vicious cycle really:

1. people are unwilling to spend so much on a blind buy headphone since there is no brick and mortar dealers around

2. so very few people own it

3. so the can gets little exposure at meets and the like and...

...1. people are unwilling to spend so much on a blind buy headphone since there is no brick and mortar dealers around

frown.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Like most people have said above, it's a pretty big expenditure without being able to hear it first. I bought my pair blind, upgrading from sr-225s.

That being said, Zanth has the MS-Pro and RS-1 right now. Hopefully he'll chime in with some differences between the two.

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Hey ken_loo,
How would you describe the differences going from the SR-225s to the MS-PROs?

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 14
I agree. I had all Grado and all Alessandro cans. My favorite was (vintage) MS-Pro. I wish I did not trade it and kept it. It's a fantastic can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
i've heard both the ms-pro and ms-2 and i can honestly say that the differences between the ms-2 and ms-pro is very importnat to me, for me the ms-2 was very boring, while the ms-pro is very fast and not boring at all

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 14
As an MS-1 and MS2i owner I just gotta add something.

I was thinking very seriously about MS-Pro prior to getting my MS2i, but one reason I didn't pursue it was my amp and source situation. I felt that the potential increase in SQ would be wasted by not having upstream components capable of supporting these cans.

Would I like a pair of MS-Pro? Darned right I would!
rs1smile.gif
But although my source and amp are sufficient for the needs of my MS2i and most likely the future classical cans that I have plans for, to have gotten MS-Pro and then even more capable classical cans at the MS-Pro level would have required an even greater increase in source components.
frown.gif

....and the deadly spiral begins!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or another way of saying it: I "suspect" that virtually everyone who likes MS2i would "probably" go ga ga over MS-Pro, but the components required to drive them to their greatest potential could be pretty pricy and a may be a major turn off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back