MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,921 of 2,843
Last week I ordered a ups for my computer, and I decided to plug in my audio equipment in it as well. I don't know what really changed, but I can't believe how big of an improvement I'm noticing, it's actually blowing my mind. Anyways I'm loving the Ether right now.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,922 of 2,843
  Last week I ordered a ups for my computer, and I decided to plug in my audio equipment in it as well. I don't know what really changed, but I can't believe how big of an improvement I'm noticing, it's actually blowing my mind. Anyways I'm loving the Ether right now.

That is surprising as there should if anything be a sound degradation (smoothing effect is typically reported). My understanding is that you would have to have an extremely poor connection to the utility ​grid to have dirty power that is audible. This is another contentious issue so hopefully I didn't start another sound science debate here!

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #1,923 of 2,843

That is surprising as there should if anything be a sound degradation (smoothing effect is typically reported). My understanding is that you would have to have an extremely poor connection to the utility ​grid to have dirty power that is audible. This is another contentious issue so hopefully I didn't start another sound science debate here!

I don't see science on the title of this thread. It does say impressions though. 
cool.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,924 of 2,843

I did move stuff around, and was using a power strip that's probably over 30 years old, whatever it was, I'm glad it happened.
Maybe I'll plug it directly into the wall later and see if it was the power strip seeing as it should be a sound degradation.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,925 of 2,843

Very bad idea, most UPSes have absolutely explicit warnings in the manual that they are not to be used with audio equipment because the AC waveform they output is not appropriate in some way...

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,926 of 2,843

Very bad idea, most UPSes have absolutely explicit warnings in the manual that they are not to be used with audio equipment because the AC waveform they output is not appropriate in some way...

Hmm, read the manual front to back, I wouldn't of even tried if I had known that. I'll have to just have it pluged into the wall when i get home.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133 

There is the link to it if it helps anyone.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,927 of 2,843
Anyone who wants to clean up their power can use a very simple and fairly affordable soluton: isolation transformers. A Triplite isolation transformer will reduce hum and lower the noise floor.  If your system is already REALLY quiet there may be little benefit.  I use these all the time as our office is in an industrial zone, but I have found that it can quiet my DAC at home as well.  ETHER is fairly efficient, and when you have noise or ground issues (hum) it can be a very solid fix.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,928 of 2,843
The ETHER is a magical headphone especially out of the Yggdrasil and the Ragnarock. I was in a very negative mood and one hour of Dave Brubeck has helped put me in much better mood. I no longer want to go destroy the rehab center, that beat up my mom. I shall let the law take care of everything and I shall remain calm by using the magic of the ETHER and the HE1K..

The very best to you and your mom. I am glad to hear that she is feeling better: the "man in black" can do that.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,930 of 2,843
i will second the motion that the ether with the yiggy/rag combo is magical

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,931 of 2,843
i will second the motion that the ether with the yiggy/rag combo is magical

+3 I also find the ETHER magical, with the Yggdrasil/ Ragnarock. :)

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,932 of 2,843
I've been using the Questyle cma800r for a few months and recently added Gumby with my Ether. It's been an impressive and enjoyable experience for sure. Today I finally pulled the trigger on the mjolnir 2 and ordered a nice set of tubes. 

Will the mjo2 dethrone the cma800r? Not sure. It may be that's it's a nice tube complement to my solid state amp. Only time will tell. Should find out next week. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,933 of 2,843
Just kicking back to some 5:00 tunes and happy to be done for the week. Listening some Coexist by The XX. Damn this bass is bumpin'!! 

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,935 of 2,843
A really nice ETHER review was just posted by a UK audio publication here.

It is a great review, well written, lots of information and some good pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back