MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,876 of 2,843
  Regarding current mode amplifiers, I was not a believer when I originally tried the Bakoon with the hd800. Then when I plugged the Ether into the CMA800 and was instantly impressed. Although the detail is there, the presentation is smooth, powerful and punchy. You can add a second cma800 to setup a true dual monoblock configuration. The reviews say that it makes the most difference with orthodynamics to go balanced. So all that I need is one more cma800. 
wink.gif

I look forward to hearing that at RMAF!  Not that I need more gear right now.  I'm sick, I need help...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,878 of 2,843
Has anyone heard the Ethers on the Liquid Carbon and the Hugo? Are they comprable? 

I've been waiting for the LC, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I would prefer a mobile set-up. Even when listening at home, it's rarely at my desk. I'll bring my portable stack to the couch or the kitchen table to listen. So, I'm thinking about getting a used Hugo instead, especially because that would mean I don't have to worry about a decent DAC for the LC. 

How is the Hugo sound compared to the LC (realizing that the LC sound will depend partially on DAC used)? 

Thanks a lot. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #1,879 of 2,843
Folks,

I have been using ETHER for the past 9 days, and I would like to just share what I feel about it and my opinion. Nothing is more important than your own listening. Just to set the stage, my setup is Gungnir Multibit -> Burson Soloist -> ETHER (with Zoetic cable). I took nearly 3 days to get settles down with ETHER signature. The re-learning stage took a bit longer, as I use only LCD2 r2 via Odac and Soloist for the past near 3 years. Intense listening starts on the 4th day onwards.

One week prior to ETHER, my setup is Gungnir Multibit -> Burson Soloist -> LCD2 r2 (with stock cable). Sidetrack abit, the improvement in dac upgrade is apparent in my opinion. Highly detailed, revealing, easy to hear tiny details in the music, smooth mids, bass is textured. I was taken aback quite a bit when I hear my LCD2 r2 soundstage expanded.

For music, I generally like vocal centric type of music ranging from singer songwriters, jazz, pop, soft rock, folk, and alternative. I like instrumental stuff as well as electronic ambient. To list just some of them: Damien Rice, Michael Buble, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Chelsea Wolfe, Agnes Obel, Angus & Julia Stone, Adele, Laura Marling, Celine Dion, Norah Jones, Rebecca Pidgeon, Karen Souza, Lana Del Rey, Daughter, Youn Sun Nah, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, Katie Melua, Distance, Light & Sky, Olivia Ong, London Grammar, Florence + The Machine, Loreena McKennitt, Emi Fujita, Susan Wong, Madeleine Peyroux, Pink Floyd, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, Joe Hisaishi, Kitaro, Michael Hedges, Kenny G, Yosi Horikawa, Thomas Lemmer, Jacky Cheung, Beyond, Tsai Chin, Priscilla Chan, Lily Chan, and many more.

The first noticeable thing on ETHER that hooks me is the soundstage. Spacious. I find jazz is so much more enjoyable and relaxing. The presence of instruments in Miles Davis ‘So What’, Cannonball Adderley ‘Dancing in the Dark’ was easily sensed in depth. The sounds do not overlap, I get a much better sense of sound connection and flow of music. The clarity of sound from the instruments is clear and precise. In Michael Hedges ‘Aerial Boundaries’ and ‘Ritual Dance’, the sound from the strumming of guitar is clean and clear. The suspend of chords is easier to appreciate. If there is a rattle-like sound, you will hear it.

Michael Jackson ‘Billie Jean’ and ‘Remember the Time’, and Chelsea Wolfe ‘Carrion Flowers’ hit hard when it needs to, go low when it needs to. The bass of ETHER is not a big man compared to LCD2 r2, but is present with impact. The high of ETHER is impressive. I think it is extended too. Adele ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ never gets fatigue.

Vocal through ETHER is sweet solid. I definitely feel a much more solid sounding vocal. The pronunciation in Celine Dion ‘Because You Loved Me’ is possibly the most clearly sound compared to what I heard from my old setup. The vocal of Damien Rice ‘The Blower’s Daughter’ goes low and soft when it needs to, and yet remains clear. Agnes Obel’s Philharmonics, and Aventine album clocked my highest track repeat rate. So much so that I order her Vinyl record even though I do not own any vinyl system. Mesmerizing. I’ve been to live concert of Emi Fujita ‘Lullaby of Camomile’ and several times of Jacky Cheung concert. When I listen to their songs through ETHER, memories of them came back. When I listen to live concert through ETHER, I am listening live. What more can I ask for.

To sum up my take on MrSpeakers ETHER, I think ETHER is simply taking whatever comes in and present it exactly how the song is being recorded. The entire flow of music seems much better balanced, no unnecessary added stuff. A well all-around transparent headphone. I find music through ETHER expands in scales and layers, more coherent, clear, engaging, and musical. I suspect Gungnir Multibit dac plays a big part in the end-result of my ETHER output. Most importantly, I find my listening experience through ETHER much more enjoyable than before.

Regards to comparison between ETHER and LCD2 r2, after intense listening to ETHER, I personally feel that both headphone cannot be compared directly to each other. Not because of its price point, but rather both displayed very different signature. I think the question should be rephrased to what are the differences between them. When I switched back to LCD2 r2, for the same song, the sounding end-result difference is huge. Immediately, the familiar dark signature of LCD2 r2 comes back. The soundstage becomes narrower, music appears to sound a little congested and less precise. Interestingly, when I listen to Chelsea Wolfe ‘Carrion Flowers’, I somewhat prefer LCD2 r2 to ETHER. The record of Chelsea Wolfe’s Abyss is a dark record music. Somehow I find the presentation LCD2 r2 more fun to listen to.

To close off, folks who are looking for a well all-around headphone, you might want to consider MrSpeakers ETHER. My opinions are not important compared to your own listening. I took quite a few days to get used to ETHER signature. For the range of music that I listen to, I find ETHER more balanced and all-around to listen to. Nothing is perfect. But in my opinion, I don’t think ETHER is underwhelming by its bass. In terms of overall presentation, I really enjoy listening through ETHER. And it really is comfortable to wear. The next stop, a balanced Mjolnir 2 and Liquid Carbon with ETHER.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,881 of 2,843
Has anyone heard the Ethers on the Liquid Carbon and the Hugo? Are they comprable? 

I've been waiting for the LC, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I would prefer a mobile set-up. Even when listening at home, it's rarely at my desk. I'll bring my portable stack to the couch or the kitchen table to listen. So, I'm thinking about getting a used Hugo instead, especially because that would mean I don't have to worry about a decent DAC for the LC. 

How is the Hugo sound compared to the LC (realizing that the LC sound will depend partially on DAC used)? 

Thanks a lot. 

I'm in the same boat as you, I'd love a Gumby DAC to partner my LC and hopefully soon to have ETHER-C, but I don't have anywhere to put one, as crazy as it sounds I just don't have the room, I don't own a desk and the living room has been overtaken by my 2 year old daughter, to get the best out these DACs I read that they need to be powered on all the time to keep them running at an optimal temperature and unfortunately this is just not feasible for me. The only place I could put one would be on the floor underneath my TV cabinet which is the other side of the room from my sofa (this is where I plan to do most of my listening)
This would involve either really long cables to plug into the LC (so I can adjust the volume) or a long headphone cable (no volume control)

So I'm thinking along the same lines as you, I think I'll personally go with the 2Qute instead as I wouldn't need the amp in the Hugo (although it's portability may be useful) from what I read / understand the 2Qute is slightly better than the Hugo when used as a DAC especially it's USB input.

I must admit I am torn, my heart says that I should get a Gumby or wait for the Bitfrost MB, my head / sensible side says a 2Qute as it's much more portable friendly / feasible.

Choices, choices.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,883 of 2,843
  Well done. Thank you for taking the time to make that post
beerchug.gif

No problem, thanks. 
beerchug.gif

@leafs very nice write up sir! Your efforts are appreciated. So will you be keeping both headphones as you seem to find them to complement one another?

Thanks Matt. Yes, I will keep both headphones, at least for now. ETHER is the headphone I reach out now. Especially for most of my vocal, jazz, instrumental, and live record music, ETHER shines. I find it easy to connect to the music and that's very important for me. LCD2 r2 has its place when I want a little more intimate presence, juicy bass and thick mids. For certain acoustic records, I find LCD2 r2 shines without compromising any detail.

I am actually looking forward to find out for myself whether if LCD2 r2 will improve when use balanced. Perhaps after that, I may be in a better position to ask myself whether do I need to keep both. But yes, I find both headphones to complement one another.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,884 of 2,843

Folks,

I have been using ETHER for the past 9 days, and I would like to just share what I feel about it and my opinion. Nothing is more important than your own listening. Just to set the stage, my setup is Gungnir Multibit -> Burson Soloist -> ETHER (with Zoetic cable). I took nearly 3 days to get settles down with ETHER signature. The re-learning stage took a bit longer, as I use only LCD2 r2 via Odac and Soloist for the past near 3 years. Intense listening starts on the 4th day onwards.

One week prior to ETHER, my setup is Gungnir Multibit -> Burson Soloist -> LCD2 r2 (with stock cable). Sidetrack abit, the improvement in dac upgrade is apparent in my opinion. Highly detailed, revealing, easy to hear tiny details in the music, smooth mids, bass is textured. I was taken aback quite a bit when I hear my LCD2 r2 soundstage expanded.

For music, I generally like vocal centric type of music ranging from singer songwriters, jazz, pop, soft rock, folk, and alternative. I like instrumental stuff as well as electronic ambient. To list just some of them: Damien Rice, Michael Buble, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Chelsea Wolfe, Agnes Obel, Angus & Julia Stone, Adele, Laura Marling, Celine Dion, Norah Jones, Rebecca Pidgeon, Karen Souza, Lana Del Rey, Daughter, Youn Sun Nah, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, Katie Melua, Distance, Light & Sky, Olivia Ong, London Grammar, Florence + The Machine, Loreena McKennitt, Emi Fujita, Susan Wong, Madeleine Peyroux, Pink Floyd, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, Joe Hisaishi, Kitaro, Michael Hedges, Kenny G, Yosi Horikawa, Thomas Lemmer, Jacky Cheung, Beyond, Tsai Chin, Priscilla Chan, Lily Chan, and many more.

The first noticeable thing on ETHER that hooks me is the soundstage. Spacious. I find jazz is so much more enjoyable and relaxing. The presence of instruments in Miles Davis ‘So What’, Cannonball Adderley ‘Dancing in the Dark’ was easily sensed in depth. The sounds do not overlap, I get a much better sense of sound connection and flow of music. The clarity of sound from the instruments is clear and precise. In Michael Hedges ‘Aerial Boundaries’ and ‘Ritual Dance’, the sound from the strumming of guitar is clean and clear. The suspend of chords is easier to appreciate. If there is a rattle-like sound, you will hear it.

Michael Jackson ‘Billie Jean’ and ‘Remember the Time’, and Chelsea Wolfe ‘Carrion Flowers’ hit hard when it needs to, go low when it needs to. The bass of ETHER is not a big man compared to LCD2 r2, but is present with impact. The high of ETHER is impressive. I think it is extended too. Adele ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ never gets fatigue.

Vocal through ETHER is sweet solid. I definitely feel a much more solid sounding vocal. The pronunciation in Celine Dion ‘Because You Loved Me’ is possibly the most clearly sound compared to what I heard from my old setup. The vocal of Damien Rice ‘The Blower’s Daughter’ goes low and soft when it needs to, and yet remains clear. Agnes Obel’s Philharmonics, and Aventine album clocked my highest track repeat rate. So much so that I order her Vinyl record even though I do not own any vinyl system. Mesmerizing. I’ve been to live concert of Emi Fujita ‘Lullaby of Camomile’ and several times of Jacky Cheung concert. When I listen to their songs through ETHER, memories of them came back. When I listen to live concert through ETHER, I am listening live. What more can I ask for.

To sum up my take on MrSpeakers ETHER, I think ETHER is simply taking whatever comes in and present it exactly how the song is being recorded. The entire flow of music seems much better balanced, no unnecessary added stuff. A well all-around transparent headphone. I find music through ETHER expands in scales and layers, more coherent, clear, engaging, and musical. I suspect Gungnir Multibit dac plays a big part in the end-result of my ETHER output. Most importantly, I find my listening experience through ETHER much more enjoyable than before.

Regards to comparison between ETHER and LCD2 r2, after intense listening to ETHER, I personally feel that both headphone cannot be compared directly to each other. Not because of its price point, but rather both displayed very different signature. I think the question should be rephrased to what are the differences between them. When I switched back to LCD2 r2, for the same song, the sounding end-result difference is huge. Immediately, the familiar dark signature of LCD2 r2 comes back. The soundstage becomes narrower, music appears to sound a little congested and less precise. Interestingly, when I listen to Chelsea Wolfe ‘Carrion Flowers’, I somewhat prefer LCD2 r2 to ETHER. The record of Chelsea Wolfe’s Abyss is a dark record music. Somehow I find the presentation LCD2 r2 more fun to listen to.

To close off, folks who are looking for a well all-around headphone, you might want to consider MrSpeakers ETHER. My opinions are not important compared to your own listening. I took quite a few days to get used to ETHER signature. For the range of music that I listen to, I find ETHER more balanced and all-around to listen to. Nothing is perfect. But in my opinion, I don’t think ETHER is underwhelming by its bass. In terms of overall presentation, I really enjoy listening through ETHER. And it really is comfortable to wear. The next stop, a balanced Mjolnir 2 and Liquid Carbon with ETHER.

I found exactly the same thing (apart from the bass bit).  I've had @smial1966's Ether here for a couple of weeks and it took that long for me to decide I actually preferred it to my HE-560s, of which I'm quite the fanboy. Whilst I still feel the HE-560 has slightly deeper bass extension, slightly more open midrange and a (slightly) wider soundstage, the Ether excels with it's natural sounding, balanced signature. Treble is smoother and without sibilance (something that I do hear with the HE-560s sometimes), but still nicely detailed and, for want of a better word, delicate.  I've always found the HE-560 to be perfectly comfortable for all-day use, but the Ether is off the charts comfortable and lightweight...and unlike most headphones out there, I don't think I look like a total dork wearing them (not that that's a priority for home use headphones). I also appreciate how much easier the Ether is to drive than the HE-560, which I think definitely opens up some amplification options that the Hifiman cans just wouldn't play nicely with.

As a value proposition, I still feel the HE-560 is a mid/high end "bargain". In the UK it's nearly half the price of the Ether, which to my ears makes the latter a tough sell.  On the other hand, imho the Ether C is a much better value when you consider the closed back alternatives. This is the wrong thread for my detailed thoughts on the Ether C, but to my ears it's a more enjoyable listen than both Ether and HE-560, and has the bonus of being closed back (if you need that).  So, whilst I can't see an Ether in my future, the Ether C is definitely going to be my next closed headphone.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,885 of 2,843
  I found exactly the same thing (apart from the bass bit).  I've had @smial1966's Ether here for a couple of weeks and it took that long for me to decide I actually preferred it to my HE-560s, of which I'm quite the fanboy. Whilst I still feel the HE-560 has slightly deeper bass extension, slightly more open midrange and a (slightly) wider soundstage, the Ether excels with it's natural sounding, balanced signature. Treble is smoother and without sibilance (something that I do hear with the HE-560s sometimes), but still nicely detailed and, for want of a better word, delicate.  I've always found the HE-560 to be perfectly comfortable for all-day use, but the Ether is off the charts comfortable and lightweight...and unlike most headphones out there, I don't think I look like a total dork wearing them (not that that's a priority for home use headphones). I also appreciate how much easier the Ether is to drive than the HE-560, which I think definitely opens up some amplification options that the Hifiman cans just wouldn't play nicely with.

As a value proposition, I still feel the HE-560 is a mid/high end "bargain". In the UK it's nearly half the price of the Ether, which to my ears makes the latter a tough sell.  On the other hand, imho the Ether C is a much better value when you consider the closed back alternatives. This is the wrong thread for my detailed thoughts on the Ether C, but to my ears it's a more enjoyable listen than both Ether and HE-560, and has the bonus of being closed back (if you need that).  So, whilst I can't see an Ether in my future, the Ether C is definitely going to be my next closed headphone.

I really agree with your thoughts. The HE-560's price point and performance makes it quite an amazing value. The differences between the HE-560 and Ether are more preference-orientated imo, and I do feel like the HE-560 has certain subtle technical strengths over the Ether. The HE-560 also does have one area in its treble tuning that can be a dealbreaker for certain user preferences. The HE-560 is a very strong value-option which makes the diminishing returns or different preferences changes of jumping to different flagships hard to justify from a dollar perspective without demo to see whether the change in sound signature matches your tastes. Open flagship market is quite competitive with many great options for a wide variety of tastes. Really just depends on exact sonic traits you are looking for to see which headphone matches you the best.

Compared against other flagships, the Ether price point is relatively reasonable though perhaps a touch high. Would be much more competitive if priced a bit under the $1.5 mark as many of the venerable world-class flagships can be obtained at below that price point nowadays. The Ether's strength (imo) is really its sound signature tuning and overall balance rather than any specific technical trait. The nice thing about the Ether's tuning is that it is probably among the easiest general recommendation without a demo as there is nothing too glaring that I would see people finding fault with. Very pleasant headphone to listen to and overall solid performance. Probably a very safe option for most people's tastes and needs.

The Ether closed is relatively more competitive as the flagship closed market is lacking in terms of well-balanced, less-colored options. I think that from that perspective, the Ether closed is a stronger offering at that price point due to the relatively less amount of competition for high-end closed headphones. Both the LCD-XC and TH-900 have quite significant coloration and some design flaws (weight w/ the XC and non-detachable cables with the TH-900) that makes it difficult to justify purchasing that their premium price point. I would personally love to hear the Ether-Closed in the future!

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,888 of 2,843
  I have been newly etherized (just minutes ago) and it is comfortably light and balanced sonically.  The Ether will be heavy on my rotation.

How did you get your ether?

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,890 of 2,843
Has anyone compared these to the HE-1000? imrpessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back