MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,728 of 2,843
I got in a loaner pair of these today for the 8/22 Denver CO meet (thanks again Dan!) and am listening as I type this.

My initial impression is relative shock at how much better it sounds on my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite w/ DPS versus the Garage1217 Project Polaris! It shouldn't make sense given the Gilmore Lite's lower power output compared to the Polaris, but the Ether sounds substantially clearer throughout the spectrum on the GL. This find really makes me wonder how much better the Ether would sound on the GS-X MK2, which is a close sonic relative of the GL.
wink.gif

Could anyone please let me know where in NYC I can audition Ether? Thanks!

At the next NYC-area meet maybe?
wink.gif
It's not being organized yet but the NYC meets are regularly bi-annual and the next one should be coming up in November, just keep an eye on the Meets forum.

There's also this DC-area meet coming up next weekend (no MrSpeakers or Ether, but a variety of other stuff will be there): http://www.head-fi.org/t/763389/d-c-area-meet-sunday-august-30-2015-part-of-canmania-capital-audio-fest-caf-2015

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #1,729 of 2,843
  I got in a loaner pair of these today for the 8/22 Denver CO meet (thanks again Dan!) and am listening as I type this.

My initial impression is relative shock at how much better it sounds on my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite w/ DPS versus the Garage1217 Project Polaris! It shouldn't make sense given the Gilmore Lite's lower power output compared to the Polaris, but the Ether sounds substantially clearer throughout the spectrum on the GL. This find really makes me wonder how much better the Ether would sound on the GS-X MK2, which is a close sonic relative of the GL.
wink.gif

At the next NYC-area meet maybe?
wink.gif
It's not being organized yet but the NYC meets are regularly bi-annual and the next one should be coming up in November, just keep an eye on the Meets forum.

There's also this DC-area meet coming up next weekend (no MrSpeakers or Ether, but a variety of other stuff will be there): http://www.head-fi.org/t/763389/d-c-area-meet-sunday-august-30-2015-part-of-canmania-capital-audio-fest-caf-2015

I have a project ember and it does not create good synergy with the Ether for me. I can guess why but it would just be an educated guess. Ether sounds wonderful on many of my full sized amps. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,730 of 2,843

I have a project ember and it does not create good synergy with the Ether for me. I can guess why but it would just be an educated guess. Ether sounds wonderful on many of my full sized amps. 

So, you are saying that the Ether is not as versatile, and is picky about what amp is used to create good synergy?  Have you heard other headphones that sound good with the Project Ember?  I have read good things about how good it sounds with Hifiman headphones!

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,731 of 2,843

So, you are saying that the Ether is not as versatile, and is picky about what amp is used to create good synergy?  Have you heard other headphones that sound good with the Project Ember?  I have read good things about how good it sounds with Hifiman headphones!

Well, I wouldn't say that you should go in blindly to pick an amp for Ether. This hp likes power but finesse also. The LC seems to get universal praise and for good reason. Ether responds nicely to power from my vintage receivers. The Ether/Ember combo just doesn't work for me. Ember is fantastic with my hd650 but again falls short with the hd800. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,732 of 2,843

Well, I wouldn't say that you should go in blindly to pick an amp for Ether. This hp likes power but finesse also. The LC seems to get universal praise and for good reason. Ether responds nicely to power from my vintage receivers. The Ether/Ember combo just doesn't work for me. Ember is fantastic with my hd650 but again falls short with the hd800. 

You mean if I buy a $1500 headphone, it may not sound good with the amp that I have?  I need to buy/pick an amp that works with it.  How much more money is needed for an acceptable amp?  The Project Ember has a reputation for having  some power!

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,733 of 2,843
Cant tell if you are joking. Yes, some thought needs to go into the amp choice with the Ether. It can mean the difference between a cohesive signature with impressive bass and one that's not. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,734 of 2,843
Depending on your sound signature preference you may like them with certain amp while others will not. I, for example, don't like maxed WA5 and Ragnarok Dan has cause of emphasized bass but really enjoy Liquid Crimson and LIO with several configurations

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,735 of 2,843
Depending on your sound signature preference you may like them with certain amp while others will not. I, for example, don't like maxed WA5 and Ragnarok Dan has cause of emphasized bass but really enjoy Liquid Crimson and LIO with several configurations

Good point. People have different preferences. One persons satisfying bass is not another's and so on and so forth. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,736 of 2,843
  Cant tell if you are joking. Yes, some thought needs to go into the amp choice with the Ether. It can mean the difference between a cohesive signature with impressive bass and one that's not. 

Not joking at all!  My trusty Ming Da tube amp with very good Mullard NOS Tubes, does not synergize at all with the Ether.  Who would think it wouldn't as it sounds great wilh my Alpha Dog, Hifiman's, except the HE-6.  Probably the same thing going on with your Project Ember.  My Kenzie and my Denon 4800 sound great, but I have found a magical combo with both of those by using my DHC Silver Peptide V2 8 wire cable (Pure Silver Type 4 Litz), Q Cable, DHC Comp 4 Fusion also very good, but the magical synergy of the SP cable is something with the Ether!

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,737 of 2,843

Good point. People have different preferences. One persons satisfying bass is not another's and so on and so forth. 

I think the ether is sensitive to amp, music genre, mastering quality!  They can sound really good, sometimes not so good, not really an all rounder IMO!

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,738 of 2,843

Not joking at all!  My trusty Ming Da tube amp with very good Mullard NOS Tubes, does not synergize at all with the Ether.  Who would think it wouldn't as it sounds great wilh my Alpha Dog, Hifiman's, except the HE-6.  Probably the same thing going on with your Project Ember.  My Kenzie and my Denon 4800 sound great, but I have found a magical combo with both of those by using my DHC Silver Peptide V2 8 wire cable (Pure Silver Type 4 Litz), Q Cable, DHC Comp 4 Fusion also very good, but the magical synergy of the SP cable is something with the Ether!

Okay, gotcha. Yes, the project ember has synergy with so many headphones I've tried it with that I assumed it would be great with the Ether. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,739 of 2,843

I too enjoyed the synergy between the Liquid Crimson and Liquid Carbon with the Ether.  I was looking to upgrade my phones for the impending arrival of the Liquid Carbon.  It came down to the Ether or LCD-X.  The Rag/Iggy stack I found to be overly bright and jangly not bass heavy again emphasizing that we all hear and prefer different things.  I then tried the X and Ether  on a Mjolnir/Gungnir stack as I was planning at that time to get a Gungir to pair with the LC.  The Ether on this combo was very unsettled and muddy sounding while the X was clear and strong.  I purchased the X. Now that I moved on up the audio ladder by getting an Auralic Vega(that is what Dan was using with the LC at Nasville) I am again considering the Ether and wanting to hear the EtherC as a complement to the LCD-X.

Again emphasizing the difference in our listening preference, the Woo WA5 was the finest sound I have ever heard.  I consider it to be the top candidate for my end of the line amplifier.  Maybe I am a closet tubehead and didn't know it!

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,740 of 2,843

wink.gif

The Ether is actually the best phone I have found for the GSX-2 amp. It has bloom in the mids and smooth highs and each instrument or vocal is extremely nicely developed and individualistic in its own space. It is not fatiguing and the bass is powerful.

I do have to say that the Rudistor RP010B amp holds its own here with its distinctive atmospheric sound and even deeper earthshaking bass (which is something it notably accomplishes relative to other amps with all the phones I have used with it over the years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back