MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,216 of 2,843

Ether is more comfortable, no question. If I remember correctly, don't own the x2 anymore, the inner diameter of the pads was a bit larger. While the Ether inner pad diameter is plenty spacious, if you have dumbo sized ears I could see you preferring the x2. Bottom line, comfort is stellar with Ether. 

Fantastic MattTCG, I think there will be an Ether in my future.

About ear fatigue, I mean it in the sense of how some people's ears get worn down by the sound of bright headphones. If I found the HD800 treble fatiguing after a long session, do you think I'll have a similar problem with the Ether? 

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,217 of 2,843
lol sorry. I took your meaning a different way. I have tinnitus that is usually triggered by fatiguing/bright treble. The neutrality and low distortion of the Ether are music to my ears :)  I can listen for hours with no fatigue. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,218 of 2,843

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,219 of 2,843
Almost certain that I will be ordering Ether. Still deciding between stock cable or DUM cable.

I have been using LCD2 r2 and Burson Soloist extensively for over 2 years. Currently in the process of getting WyWires Red headphone cable + adapter for LCD2 r2 to have a choice of pairing either with Soloist or the incoming Liquid Carbon. If my main WyWires cable is 4-pin XLR terminated, then I will have Ether stock cable terminated with 4-pin XLR for consistency. I then could use the WyWires Red adaptor on Ether cable. I suppose the sound quality is unknown until I try out.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,226 of 2,843
Are there any available adapters to use aftermarket cables for other phones for use with Mr. Speakers?
Some already mentioned in the last two posts, plus others recommended on MrSpeakers own site:
https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/mrspeakers-cable/

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,227 of 2,843
  Are there any available adapters to use aftermarket cables for other phones for use with Mr. Speakers?

I can also highly recommend cCasper TFG. He has done a few things very well for me including making adapters that accepted my Norne Audio cable terminated with SMC connectors so that it could attach with 1/4" that I used with a set of Sony Z7s. The work was well done, very quick and I thought a fair price.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,229 of 2,843
Nice, which cable is this? DUM?
  Yes, that appears to be the DUM cable. 

Yup, it's an early prototype of the DUM cable, but not the final.  I had a chance to check out an updated DUM cable at T.H.E. Show in Newport, and it had a much softer and more supple sheathing, that was also less microphonic, which I think will be a major bonus.

Is there such an ailment as Warren-envy?  Only suitable way to describe my feeling at this very moment... :wink:

Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't be Warrenvious!

Lol, I'm just volunteering to be the resident CarbonETHER guinea pig, in service to my fellow Head-Fiers.  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back