MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #166 of 2,843
Pretty much. I'm surprised this is the case, because a lot of people are saying the ether are very forward sounding. With my wa6, the balanced is pretty much perfect for me (a smidge darker than neutral), but it's a bit too forward for my tastes with my 560s. Maybe the ethers will offer a better mix. 

Also are the ethers easier to drive? The volume on my setup is fine, but I'd want a bit more headroom.

Thanks for answering.

Take this with a however many grains of salt you wish, I was impressed by the sound coming directly out of my iphone 5.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #167 of 2,843
Audeze performance from a can that's lighter than the competitors? Sign me up.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #168 of 2,843
I just hooked up my pair to the Studio Six once I got back and though "These are less intimate-sounding than I remembered" then remembered what I'd just plugged them into. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #169 of 2,843
I just hooked up my pair to the Studio Six once I got back and though "These are less intimate-sounding than I remembered" then remembered what I'd just plugged them into. 

That's not what you want to hear from a $4k amp... haha

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #170 of 2,843
The Studio Six is uncannily spacious-sounding and precise and just about makes the cans disappear. On a few amps (or rather, amp/DAC combos) I tried the Ethers sounded quite a bit more closed-in. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #172 of 2,843
Ah. I come from an IEM background so intimate and in your face is what I'm used to.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #173 of 2,843

The Studio Six is uncannily spacious-sounding and precise and just about makes the cans disappear. On a few amps (or rather, amp/DAC combos) I tried the Ethers sounded quite a bit more closed-in. 

Interesting, how did the Rag/Yggy combo fair in this regard?

Pretty similar. I think my rig might be a bit brighter and more lively though due to tube and cable selection. I put the Ethers on the Aurorasound HEADA for a bit, which is a bit warmer, though not like the WA5 that was at the show. Which amp I like depends on the music. I can live with my more lively tuning of the Studio Six or the Ragnarok because of the acoustic music I like. More modern recordings (eg: I'm listening to Late Night Tales by Bonobo at the moment) is a bit harsh, because the recording is a bit that way. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #174 of 2,843

Pretty similar. I think my rig might be a bit brighter and more lively though due to tube and cable selection. I put the Ethers on the Aurorasound HEADA for a bit, which is a bit warmer, though not like the WA5 that was at the show. Which amp I like depends on the music. I can live with my more lively tuning of the Studio Six or the Ragnarok because of the acoustic music I like. More modern recordings (eg: I'm listening to Late Night Tales by Bonobo at the moment) is a bit harsh, because the recording is a bit that way. 

Thanks Currawong! I'm running LCD3F now so not expecting any harshness on Rag/Yggy; in fact I wouldn't mind a bit more bite..., so might look into the Ether in the future as well. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #175 of 2,843
Read impressions, got myself impressed :) A great cans it should be. Nether dark not bright, somewhere between lcd2 and he560. Without harsh, but still well detailed.

Stillhart, so have you tryed ether with your nfb28? Or chance is lost :p

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #176 of 2,843

Canjam London? Last weekend in August.

Thanks for the suggestion, but a special trip to London, staying for 2 days would cost around $750 just for flight, transport, and 2 nights in average hotel.
Cheaper to just buy a headphone and sell it at a $500 loss if you don't like it. But there should be a better way...

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #177 of 2,843
Thanks for the suggestion, but a special trip to London, staying for 2 days would cost around $750 just for flight, transport, and 2 nights in average hotel.
Cheaper to just buy a headphone and sell it at a $500 loss if you don't like it. But there should be a better way...

Lamode, I will be passing through Kiev in early August, perhaps I can secure a loaner:wink:.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #178 of 2,843
Apr 3, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #180 of 2,843
Wow... so how does this sound compared to LCD-3?

$1,500 entry headphone.... interesting. The only other company that has this kind of pricing for headphones is Stax.

Weird comment. MrSpeakers makes things in different price ranges. $300, $650, and $1000. Although, if you consider all of those to be simply mods (which they are to an extent, but really, they are new headphones with just the same driver), then yes, the Ether is both their first original and all in-house entry headphones and also their top of the line in their product range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back