MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
May 17, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #5,536 of 5,796
ALSO, I read in a review online that the thin, white sticker that gets placed on the true flow baffle is supposed to be oriented a certain way, as in there is a "top" and a bottom" to it. I rotated it every which way, and could not tell for the life of me a difference. Short of taking it and measuring the distance between the screw key holes, it looked identical.

@mrspeakers could you provide some truth on this? Thanks!
I think you got the gist of it. At least that is what I did. Despite what you may have read, I do not think there is an orientation for the white sticker so you should be good either way. One reviewer (Z reviews) liked the white felt with the black foam on top as the ideal combo. Obviously this is meant for experimentation. Also, I read that that either the white sticker or white felt need time to open up according to "Dan" Mr. Speaker himself. So, don't immediately judge sound but keep evaluating over time?

May 18, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #5,537 of 5,796
Hello.. Just getting in on this thread as I just purchased the Ether Flow 1.1 off the exchange and am very excited to hear them..

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,538 of 5,796
Despite looking pretty extensively online for the following answers, I couldn't definitively find the answer to the following two thoughts.

So with the 1.1 tuning kit, is the intended upgrade procedure;

take off the ear pad
remove the stock, circular black foam dampening (this will have slight some slight sticky-ness since it was attached to the tape)
place the thin, white sticker over the true flow baffle, press down firmly to lock it in place.
DON'T put the stock circular black dampening foam back on
replace the ear pad
insert the dampening foam within the ear pad of your preference?

I suppose you COULD keep the circular stock dampening in place AND add the dampening squares if you prefer extra dampening, but I imagine this wasn't intended operating procedure for the upgrade?

ALSO, I read in a review online that the thin, white sticker that gets placed on the true flow baffle is supposed to be oriented a certain way, as in there is a "top" and a bottom" to it. I rotated it every which way, and could not tell for the life of me a difference. Short of taking it and measuring the distance between the screw key holes, it looked identical.

@mrspeakers could you provide some truth on this? Thanks!

Yes, that's the process. you could use the circular pads in lieu of the tuning inserts but there's no advantage.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 22, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #5,539 of 5,796
I am a fresh user of Ether C Flow. Have noticed how hard to drive them, and decided to buy a proper desktop set-up. Was leaning towards SU-8 and 789; but no 789 is available to purchase at the moment on Massdrop. Therefore, i decided to buy 788 (dac&amp). Do you think it can provide a good synergy to my EFC. i am open to your suggestions. Budget like 750 usd max

May 22, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #5,540 of 5,796
I am a fresh user of Ether C Flow. Have noticed how hard to drive them, and decided to buy a proper desktop set-up. Was leaning towards SU-8 and 789; but no 789 is available to purchase at the moment on Massdrop. Therefore, i decided to buy 788 (dac&amp). Do you think it can provide a good synergy to my EFC. i am open to your suggestions. Budget like 750 usd max
I think this dac:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-ES90...d=1558513293&s=gateway&sr=8-5#customerReviews
And This amp

https://www.headamp.com/order/headamp-gilmore-lite-mk2-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

Will be nice for 700 usd

Also you can see the Burson Play, more cheap and drive well the ethers, plenty of power :floatsmile:

If you want more analog tube sound you can se the monoprice liquid platinum wich is balanced and cost 750 usd only the amp...

May 22, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #5,541 of 5,796
I think this dac:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-ES90...d=1558513293&s=gateway&sr=8-5#customerReviews
And This amp

https://www.headamp.com/order/headamp-gilmore-lite-mk2-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

Will be nice for 700 usd

Also you can see the Burson Play, more cheap and drive well the ethers, plenty of power :floatsmile:

If you want more analog tube sound you can se the monoprice liquid platinum wich is balanced and cost 750 usd only the amp...

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, you are the one who makes me not to purchase DX220, as i read your previous posts. :)

I would be quite happy if the stuffs that you suggest were balanced throughout xlr. Briefly only looking for fully balanced set-up.

May 22, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #5,542 of 5,796
Thank you for your reply. To be honest, you are the one who makes me not to purchase DX220, as i read your previous posts. :)

I would be quite happy if the stuffs that you suggest were balanced throughout xlr. Briefly only looking for fully balanced set-up.
Remember, bal is not better than se. Btw dx220 fixed the problem from the dx200 xD

The liquid platinum is bal, but is 750 usd. That toppin and the headamp i think will pair really good with your ethers. Currently i drive my efo with Burson cv2+ Se

Do you have the bal cable only?
If you want a dac amp bal, you can see the new aune s6 pro too, aune have nice price performance. Aune in general have a smooth or sighly dark signature
Im not familiar with the 788, and im the only guy here in my country with mrspeakers stuff... :triportsad:
I think im the only...

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #5,543 of 5,796
The liquid platinum has bad comments from audiosciencereview. do not consider it at all, but Sabaj D5 looks like the best Performance/budget product.

Yes, i have only stock cable. That s why, i also avoid myself to purchase DX220, which a proper cable is needed afterwords. No idea at all regarding what companies provide a suitable cable to ECF, or what type of cable (copper, silver, hybrid etc) is suitable to EFC

May 22, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #5,544 of 5,796
I think that sabaj is your dac amp if you want something near to neutral with a little coloration.
But, i think the ethers need a good desktop amp and dac, the daps can’t match the desktop level, even the AK tolt toys. If you want price performance... desktop :)

You can see that aune s6 pro ( dac / amp ) if you want more smooth sound, so that is all :)

Also you can buy the aune s7 pro, wich is only a amp, just better. 599+599.
If you can try aune, look that aune, i think will be good pair up. Good price performance company

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5,545 of 5,796
Does anyone consider the Ethers an upgrade from the Aeons? I love my Aeons and have been thinking about the Ethers but I think they're too different of a sound signature to justify an upgrade. I've heard the Ethers described as bright or V shaped while the AFOs are warm which I like.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #5,546 of 5,796
Does anyone consider the Ethers an upgrade from the Aeons? I love my Aeons and have been thinking about the Ethers but I think they're too different of a sound signature to justify an upgrade. I've heard the Ethers described as bright or V shaped while the AFOs are warm which I like.

I considered the Ether C Flows a considerable upgrade to the Aeon C's. I do not own either currently as I traded them in for some other gear. The Ether C always impressed me with its extended lows, bass impact and excellent vocal reproduction. I thought the Aeons were 80% there, but just didnt have the extension of the lows and quality of the vocals. I do not think I would pick up the Aeons again, but every time I see a Ether C show up on the exchange I almost buy them again (it would be my third time).

Keith

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #5,547 of 5,796
I considered the Ether C Flows a considerable upgrade to the Aeon C's. I do not own either currently as I traded them in for some other gear. The Ether C always impressed me with its extended lows, bass impact and excellent vocal reproduction. I thought the Aeons were 80% there, but just didnt have the extension of the lows and quality of the vocals. I do not think I would pick up the Aeons again, but every time I see a Ether C show up on the exchange I almost buy them again (it would be my third time).

Keith

Thanks for your insight. I've heard the Ether C's described as warm myself. I feel like they would be a better fit for me as the only thing I find awkward on the Aeons is the teardrop cups can sometimes take some getting used to compared to the more standard round cup design.

I'm beginning to miss some of the subbass as well - I think the AFO's are way too bass light and that's probably due to their neutral sound signature. Did you notice a detail or imaging increase when going with the Ether C's? I don't care much about soundstage but I love the imaging of the Aeons.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #5,548 of 5,796
The ÆON closed sound like baby Ether C Flows to me, same family, but less bass extension, and less bass (comparison was with 1.0, not sure now). I would like to use the ÆON closed as a portable headphone, but certainly prefer the Ether C Flow otherwise.

I didn't really like the sound of the ÆON open (mids seemed recessed), but love the Ether Flow, so can't quite call that a straightforward upgrade.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,549 of 5,796
ÆON open (mids seemed recessed)

Do you have something to compare it against? I sort of know what you're talking about - coming from an Atticus, 650, or LCD2 the mids are definitely more recessed compared to those but they're still rather forward. I'd say they're more forward than something like the Auteurs which already has forward mids or even the Elear which had shouty upper mids.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #5,550 of 5,796
Do you have something to compare it against? I sort of know what you're talking about - coming from an Atticus, 650, or LCD2 the mids are definitely more recessed compared to those but they're still rather forward. I'd say they're more forward than something like the Auteurs which already has forward mids or even the Elear which had shouty upper mids.
Compared to the Ether Flow. I also like the Focal Listen and the HD660S. I've heard the HD650 twice, and just don't get why people like it. It softens the transients so much that I struggle to consider it "high fidelity".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back