MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4,426 of 5,796
So what happened with the Ether C Flow? It seems to me that they somehow became the dud of the stable. I even heard that Tyll likes the Aeons so much they will knock the Ether C off the Wall of Fame. I read two other reviews that had similar opinions that the Aeons are better than the C Flow. I think it's great that the Aeons are rated so well, but a bit bothered that my C Flows, which cost much more, seem to be inferior.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,427 of 5,796
So what happened with the Ether C Flow? It seems to me that they somehow became the dud of the stable. I even heard that Tyll likes the Aeons so much they will knock the Ether C off the Wall of Fame. I read two other reviews that had similar opinions that the Aeons are better than the C Flow. I think it's great that the Aeons are rated so well, but a bit bothered that my C Flows, which cost much more, seem to be inferior.

The C-Flow did seem to get less praise then the Ether-C I agree, but I don't think the Aeon is in the same ballpark as either Flow option. I would equate the SQ of the Aeon to the other top-performing planar in that price range, the HE560. I also feel that the aeon is less comfortable than the Ether line.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #4,429 of 5,796

'Better' is subjective and has no weight until 'better' is defined. Are we talking about tonal balance, distortion, resolution, driveability, system synergy, comfort, value.... on and on and on.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #4,430 of 5,796
Tyll just doesn't like most closed headphones. Look at his Z1R review lol...

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #4,431 of 5,796

'Better' is subjective and has no weight until 'better' is defined. Are we talking about tonal balance, distortion, resolution, driveability, system synergy, comfort, value.... on and on and on.

Ok, just saw Tyll's AEON video and read the review. So he loves the tonality, comfort, good resolution and value is quite good. Indeed, the ETHER Flow C is gonna be knocked off his wall of fame. That still doesn't suddenly make the Flow C terrible if you like the tonality, but if looking for a less bright closed back headphone the AEON may just be the ticket.

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4,432 of 5,796
I think Tyll felt that when price/performance was considered the value of ÆON was so much greater that it just made sense to simplify this way. Our Flow headphones remain our flagships.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #4,433 of 5,796
I think Tyll felt that when price/performance was considered the value of ÆON was so much greater that it just made sense to simplify this way. Our Flow headphones remain our flagships.

Sorry Dan, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. As I tried to emphasize, it's Tyll's wall of fame and he prefers the tonality and value of the AEON. I don't think that takes anything away from the Flow C. I'd hate to see this thread turn in to a train wreck like some others based on Tyll's helpful review.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #4,434 of 5,796
Oh, no worries, I didn't take it negatively, I just thought it'd be a good idea to clarify our position on the products.

My view is that we build the best headphone we can and price based on cost, in this we're kind of aligned with Schiit. I think for us it's just a better business model. It keeps us on our toes and makes it harder for people to undercut us. It's a bit like Yggdrassil and Gungnir Multibit...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #4,435 of 5,796
I bought a used Ether C off a fellow Head-Fi'er a few weeks ago, and I'm curious if the upgrade to the C Flow would be worth it.

Also will the Essential upgrade be eligible for the C? The website says that an open Ether can be converted to an open or closed Flow but didn't say anything about the Ether C. Also I'm waiting for the previous owner to send me a copy of the proof of purchase since it's required, but if he couldn't procure it (lost or something) then I hope it will still be eligible.

Hopefully someone can chime in with answers! Thanks.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #4,436 of 5,796
?1. Yes ?2. The conversion goes both ways ?3. No proof of purchase is required. I upgraded an ETHER to FLOW status and I was the second owner. Whether it is worth is entirely subjective. I updated mine hoping it would equal or surpass my LCD-X. For me it wasn't worth it and I shipped it off to its new owner 2 weeks ago.

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,438 of 5,796
Alright, I might save some money by getting the Essential upgrade pretty soon. And I guess the wait time is around 2-3 weeks?

Yes

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #4,440 of 5,796
Discussing with Dan having my C Flow converted to the open Flow as it needs work on the hinges which are too tight. Thinking if I send it in I might as well see how it sounds open. I like the ide of. Bit more mid bass.

However, I'm in the UK and worried about taxes. Anyone in the U.K., how did you handle import duty when sending your Ethers back for a Flow upgrade. I presume there's a simple and legal means to avoid paying duty on what is effectively a warranty repair and upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back