MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Mar 14, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #436 of 744
Hello,
Does anybody know what is the size of the hex key of the little screws that keep in place the headphones connector? The left one on my pair does not touch perfectly the cup body, and can move a little. I was told by the email service of Dan Clark audio that I could try to fix it acting on the two little hex screw, but I'm scared about the exact size, since I don't know if they are Imperial or metric. Actually, if it cannot became worse, to me it is not such a big deal. Here a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XXt3ZTlsmoAfF11wgMK0j2nE9Xgf7-i-/view?usp=sharing
@mrspeakers

connector.png
headphones connector (2).jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #440 of 744
@vale25 Not sure. I just pulled out my hex set. 1.27mm was too small, 1.5 mm was too big if that helps at all. I mean just go buy a set of metric and imperial a set is REALLY cheap. Always good to have around the house
Thank you. I solved with a 0.05 imperial hex key, so I don't understand how is it possibile that 1.27 mm does not fit. I tried 1.3 mm and it fits but not in a perfect way (some friction). Any way, now everything should be fine and I'm enjoying these superbe headphones.

Cheers,
Valerio

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #443 of 744
bro, I just got these headphones, and they sound lovely! silky warm with with the two notch felt pads - not sure why people complain about the bass, its there and it only shows up when the recording engineers intended it to show up. I am driving them with my my m11 pro, the sound stage is great, and so is the imaging...however sibilance is present, maybe its the recording, but this is audio coming from tidal (MQA). the build quality is top notch, however I did have issue with the cable provided, the left driver was not working at all - so I reassembled the XLR connector as I noticed that it wasn't getting inserted fully but after my reassembly both drivers work, and my head is happy! I might go back to stock pads if the bass becomes too much with the two notch felt pads. So far I like them!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #445 of 744
Should I consider Ether CX or even Mr Speakers in general having own the LCD3F?

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #446 of 744
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #447 of 744
I am considering these and the Aeon Flow 2. I am looking for a wider / deeper sound stage than I experience with my current cans (OPPO PM3, Sennheiser/Drop HD6xx). I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of width/depth for a bit better bass (I am not a bass head). I like revealing cans. I am sensitive to sibilance, so I don't like headphones / speakers that are too bright. The two headphones are about the same price.

These are mainly for my office, and since I work from home, sound leakage is not an issue. I intend to drive them directly from my BlueSound Node2i, though I would not mind adding an inexpensive headphone amp like the Schiit Magni 3 i use in my main system.

What say you?

BTW: The CX's are now available on Amazon: Sold and shipped by Amazon, so they come with Amazon's return policy.

Also, I don't know what happened to my profile, I had a custom avatar, previous, posts, update stats, etc. They just all disappeared. I have updated equipment / Avatar. Hopefully it will stick around. :D

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #448 of 744
I am considering these and the Aeon Flow 2. I am looking for a wider / deeper sound stage than I experience with my current cans (OPPO PM3, Sennheiser/Drop HD6xx). I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of width/depth for a bit better bass (I am not a bass head). I like revealing cans. I am sensitive to sibilance, so I don't like headphones / speakers that are too bright. The two headphones are about the same price.

These are mainly for my office, and since I work from home, sound leakage is not an issue. I intend to drive them directly from my BlueSound Node2i, though I would not mind adding an inexpensive headphone amp like the Schiit Magni 3 i use in my main system.

What say you?

These do not have better soundstaging width or depth than the HD6XX. Bass quality is better but quantity is less. And you'll want something with power to drive these; the Node might be OK but they sound better with more power.

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #449 of 744
These do not have better soundstaging width or depth than the HD6XX. Bass quality is better but quantity is less. And you'll want something with power to drive these; the Node might be OK but they sound better with more power.
Interesting that you say that about the sound stage. I find it to be basically non-existent on the HD6XXs. I experience a little wider stage with my PM3s (closed back)

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #450 of 744

hello, I will leave my thoughts as well. I own the HD6xx, and the HD650. The sound stage of the CX is much larger than the HD6xx and the HD 650 by quite a bit. The bass also goes much deeper on the CX compared to the HD 6xx/650, and it is not exaggerated. I am using the 2 notch felt pads and prefer the CX more for music over 6xx/650. imaging is also better than the 650/6xx. the CX do like power and I have been driving them with the IFI imicro black, and pretty happy with it. I tried gaming with the CX and was too happy as everything sounded too large/ kinda far away so I use the 6xx /650 for gaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back