MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 6, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,916 of 4,813
  I'm planning to buy used from a guy who still have the 1.0 version, I think he doesn't have the tuning pad.
or maybe he threw it away? idk

If he bought them super early maybe he didnt get the tuning pads. And didnt ask after. Ask him about it.

on mrspeakers.com
click STORE (between Mad Dog & Press)
the 1.1 upgrade is listed beside the ether pads & above the headphone case

This is not the 1.1 foam. this are the tuning pads, the 2 black 1 white pads.

May 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,918 of 4,813
  A few random things I've noticed about these as I use them more:
1. It's really cool to be able to hear the size of rooms in certain recordings. Was playing some Kurt Elling today and the jazz guitar in my left ear was very clearly bouncing off the wall to my right. The speed, clarity and detail, and staging make this possible.
2. My ears and head do start to get hot and to ache after enough hours of listening at work. It's a mix of air pressure and head clamp. My oversized sconce exacerbate this. I might get some velour pads to try, see if that helps the air pressure part. Anyone know ones that fit?
3. The staging, how it so cleanly places instruments to my left and right, is amazing. However I often used to work with one ear off so that I could hear stuff in the office. If I do that now I miss half the song :p

Quoted from a couple pages back - #2 applies to me, too.  Wondering how many more are affected by the pressure?  I had LCD-XC's before with the Vegan pads (my first closed set of headphones), and I guess I didn't realize that the pads may have affected the seal that much.  My ears seem pretty sensitive to the pressure... Any recommendations besides going back to a velour pad?  I've only had the Ether-C's for a few weeks, and immediately loved the sound coming from the XC, but the ear pain is making it hard to keep enjoying for long durations at work....

May 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,919 of 4,813
I am interested in the Ether C, but I have a large number of my FLAC files burned from Pop and Rock CDs from the 1980s. What I need is a closed headphone that is good across most genres (country, pop, rock, bluegrass, dance for me), but is forgiving regarding not so good recordings (I suspect much of my 1980s music has poor mastering).

The LCD-2/3 seems like they are good fits, but I need a closed headphone and the LCD-XC is not the first one I want to try due to its weight.

May 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,920 of 4,813
  I am interested in the Ether C, but I have a large number of my FLAC files burned from Pop and Rock CDs from the 1980s. What I need is a closed headphone that is good across most genres (country, pop, rock, bluegrass, dance for me), but is forgiving regarding not so good recordings (I suspect much of my 1980s music has poor mastering).

The LCD-2/3 seems like they are good fits, but I need a closed headphone and the LCD-XC is not the first one I want to try due to its weight.

I'm in a similar boat. I think the (fully burned in) ether C will make you very happy. It's very forgiving, but still very detailed and can rock as well as it can do classical. 

May 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #3,921 of 4,813

I'm in a similar boat. I think the (fully burned in) ether C will make you very happy. It's very forgiving, but still very detailed and can rock as well as it can do classical. 

Hi man, hv you tried metal on this?

I'm gathering opinions about metal on ether c, some people including me feels that it is a bit thin without the tuning pad

May 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #3,922 of 4,813

Hi man, hv you tried metal on this?

I'm gathering opinions about metal on ether c, some people including me feels that it is a bit thin without the tuning pad

Sorry, not my style, but metal has been discussed quite a bit on this thread.

May 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,923 of 4,813
I would say the ETHER C is not really forgiving of poorly master/engineered/produced material. It has very fast drivers that will portray the music as it is. No real grain or distortions to hide under.

May 7, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,924 of 4,813
Has anyone tried or own these with chord mojo and geek pulse xfi, I want to keep one closed back for office and home hence need to know if chord mojo can drive these well, also any expereinceses with xfi for synergy etc. thanks

May 7, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #3,925 of 4,813
Has anyone tried or own these with chord mojo and geek pulse xfi, I want to keep one closed back for office and home hence need to know if chord mojo can drive these well, also any expereinceses with xfi for synergy etc. thanks

ETHER C/Mojo combo is one of my favourites. I don't own any LH gear, never will, lol!

May 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #3,926 of 4,813

I have the Infinity and it drives C fairly well. But then again I mainly just use the DAC and use my LC as my amp. I did try it......for a couple of songs then quickly revert back to LC. Not that its bad but the LC is just that damn good.

May 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3,927 of 4,813
I would say the ETHER C is not really forgiving of poorly master/engineered/produced material. It has very fast drivers that will portray the music as it is. No real grain or distortions to hide under.

Thanks. I will look elsewhere then.

May 7, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,928 of 4,813
Thanks. I will look elsewhere then.

Suggest you go back two pages or so.  The headphone is tunable, and for metal that's bright there's a very simple way to bring this in line.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #3,929 of 4,813
Suggest you go back two pages or so.  The headphone is tunable, and for metal that's bright there's a very simple way to bring this in line.

Not a metal fan. I listen to pop from the 1980s, county - male and female, bluegrass, rock - AC/DC, Heart, Huey Lewis, etc. I listen to modern music such as Adel, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

The issue is I need it to be forgivable as 1980s pop is not the best mastered albums. Too analytical and 1/3 of my music would not sound very good in my opinion.

May 8, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #3,930 of 4,813
Can anyone recommend a good entry-level DAC/Amp pairing for the Ether C? I'd only use it on my office desk.

I've looked into a Schiit stack and O2/ODAC combo but I've also read that it may not be the best idea, since the Ether C is already quite neutral/a little bright, and the highs may become a bit harsh as a result. I only have a ~$250 budget (can go a little higher if needed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back