MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 12, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,911 of 4,813
Kind of a funny question, but has anyone driven the Either-C using the Fiio X7 alone? Also how does it sound the K5? I do realize the AM1 isn't the best module for driving orthos but just curious if it does at least an okay job of it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,912 of 4,813
  Kind of a funny question, but has anyone driven the Either-C using the Fiio X7 alone? Also how does it sound the K5? I do realize the AM1 isn't the best module for driving orthos but just curious if it does at least an okay job of it.

x7 was somewhat of a letdown for me. I compared it head to head with the qp1r and it was no contest. The qp1r was an exceptional pairing with both Ethers. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #2,913 of 4,813
Still letting my pair burn in... but so far I have loved them.  For me, the comfort is the defining aspect for me.  Sound is wonderful, but I have the XCs so I'm (luckily) used to really good sound.  It's the absolute comfort that I can't get over.  I can wear them all day w/o thinking about it.

I currently have the LCD Vegan/micro suede pads on it.  They don't quite fit, and I'd love to have a pair that really fit perfectly.  Maybe they could even have a leather interior if people thought that made a difference.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,914 of 4,813
My one other comment is that I would love it if there were a little more articulation and the pads could come completely together.  (Maybe there are other issues that prevent this.)  On my XCs and T70s, when I take my headphones off, the pads seal with each other and there is little to no sound leakage.  With the Cs, I have to stop the music.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #2,915 of 4,813
The X7 I'm using with them is the Creative X7 which the Ether C sounds damned special with, even at its price. IIRC, Dan had a deal with Creative to bundle the Ether C with the Creative X7, and as far as I'm concerned, the combo is warranted. it's not a TOTL dac/amp, but man does the Ether C still sound damn special off it

Best headphone I've ever heard. No contest.

I wish I still had my Audio-GD stuff to test the Ether C with, like the NFB5, SA-31, and Compass 2. Ah well.

Hell, wish I still had the Vali. I'm sure the Ether C would've sounded grand even off that little thing. The Lyr may have been a kick in the mid bass for those that feel the Ether C could use some.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #2,916 of 4,813
The X7 I'm using with them is the Creative X7 which the Ether C sounds damned special with, even at its price. IIRC, Dan had a deal with Creative to bundle the Ether C with the Creative X7, and as far as I'm concerned, the combo is warranted. it's not a TOTL dac/amp, but man does the Ether C still sound damn special off it

Best headphone I've ever heard. No contest.

I wish I still had my Audio-GD stuff to test the Ether C with, like the NFB5, SA-31, and Compass 2. Ah well.

Hell, wish I still had the Vali. I'm sure the Ether C would've sounded grand even off that little thing. The Lyr may have been a kick in the mid bass for those that feel the Ether C could use some.

Are you using stock op amps with the Creative X7?

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #2,917 of 4,813
Yes, I haven't felt a need to change them out. Nor do I have any desire to. Unless I have two X7s side by side to compare, I don't trust audio memory on such small, incremental changes. This is a big reason why I'm not a tube amp swapping fan in general. People tend to prefer whatever their latest and great purchase is. Justification/expectation bias and all that.

Same with cables, etc. I don't trust impressions that don't compare side by side with the same product with that slightly different piece of gear. (i.e. X7 with stock op amps vs X7 with custom op amp tested side by side within seconds of one another).

Not saying that the benefits aren't there. Just saying, I have no desire to swap, and I take impressions like that with a grain of salt.

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,918 of 4,813
  Still letting my pair burn in... but so far I have loved them.  For me, the comfort is the defining aspect for me.  Sound is wonderful, but I have the XCs so I'm (luckily) used to really good sound.  It's the absolute comfort that I can't get over.  I can wear them all day w/o thinking about it.

I currently have the LCD Vegan/micro suede pads on it.  They don't quite fit, and I'd love to have a pair that really fit perfectly.  Maybe they could even have a leather interior if people thought that made a difference.

I'm using velour pads from my Pioneer HRM7s which fit the Ether C perfectly. 2 pair come with the headphone, don't know if Pioneer sells the pads separately:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HRM-7-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00TCV9I10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457949852&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+hrm7

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,919 of 4,813
  x7 was somewhat of a letdown for me. I compared it head to head with the qp1r and it was no contest. The qp1r was an exceptional pairing with both Ethers. 

Thanks Matt

I'm contemplating about returning to Headphones. I've had my fun with IEMs, but I miss that planar sound...

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,920 of 4,813

I'm using velour pads from my Pioneer HRM7s which fit the Ether C perfectly. 2 pair come with the headphone, don't know if Pioneer sells the pads separately:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HRM-7-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00TCV9I10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457949852&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+hrm7

Yes, they do sell them

http://shopus.pioneerdj.com/p/hc-ep0301-replacement-velour-ear-pads-for-hrm-7

Part number HC-EP0301
Available May 2016 

Interesting that the leather ones (HC-EP0302) are $4 cheaper!

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,921 of 4,813
Yes, I haven't felt a need to change them out. Nor do I have any desire to. Unless I have two X7s side by side to compare, I don't trust audio memory on such small, incremental changes. This is a big reason why I'm not a tube amp swapping fan in general. People tend to prefer whatever their latest and great purchase is. Justification/expectation bias and all that.

Same with cables, etc. I don't trust impressions that don't compare side by side with the same product with that slightly different piece of gear. (i.e. X7 with stock op amps vs X7 with custom op amp tested side by side within seconds of one another).

Not saying that the benefits aren't there. Just saying, I have no desire to swap, and I take impressions like that with a grain of salt.

Smart man.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #2,922 of 4,813
I like EDM, but Ether Cs are, to be honest, simply too good to waste them for EDM, they are capable of so much more.

Take, for instance, less-than-ideal Live Recordings of Jazz were other systems falter (McLaughlin: Mother Tongues, Live The New Universe Music Festival, 2010)

- reproducing notes of piano in a dynamic manner without sounding too glassy (common problem even with TOTL gear),
- Imaging of various instruments, you will be able to locate these instruments on stage at lower as well as loud levels; without loosing your hearing to any High-Frequency Tunings. (by using the modding capabilities of the Ether)
- Nice thumbing Mid-bass when it is played in the drum kit and only then & Awesome wodden-sounding reproduction of Congas
- Keeping coherence (anti-muddyness) of every instrument of the band (e-guitar, conga, drumkit, e-bass, keys) & even at fast speeds and louder or lower levels

Ether Cs are well worth the money compared to the competition - especially - when confronted with complex acoustic recordings. They surpass peers in neutrality, control and layering of sound. Very happy with my purchase.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,923 of 4,813
  I like EDM, but Ether Cs are, to be honest, simply too good to waste them for EDM, they are capable of so much more.

Take, for instance, less-than-ideal Live Recordings of Jazz were other systems falter (McLaughlin: Mother Tongues, Live The New Universe Music Festival, 2010)

- reproducing notes of piano in a dynamic manner without sounding too glassy (common problem even with TOTL gear),
- Imaging of various instruments, you will be able to locate these instruments on stage at lower as well as loud levels; without loosing your hearing to any High-Frequency Tunings. (by using the modding capabilities of the Ether)
- Nice thumbing Mid-bass when it is played in the drum kit and only then & Awesome wodden-sounding reproduction of Congas
- Keeping coherence (anti-muddyness) of every instrument of the band (e-guitar, conga, drumkit, e-bass, keys) & even at fast speeds and louder or lower levels

Ether Cs are well worth the money compared to the competition - especially - when confronted with complex acoustic recordings. They surpass peers in neutrality, control and layering of sound. Very happy with my purchase.

Dan turned me on to Steve Bug not wasted there. I agree with you on everything else.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #2,924 of 4,813
Don't understand the notion of a headphone being 'wasted' on a music genre. If it's the preferred genre of someone, why would a great headphone be wasted on it? I like the Ether C for absolutely all kinds of genres. IF EDM were my only genre, the Ether C would still be completely viable for it.

That's like saying the Ether C is wasted if you don't listen to music. I happen to use headphones the vast majority of the time for everything OTHER than music. Video games, movies, TV shows, youtube, podcasts, etc. Music is one of the things I hardly do unless I'm reviewing, or spending a lot of time browsing the internet (which I don't tend to do while I'm at home.)

Everyone has different reasons to use their headphones. Just because their music palette may not be as vast as yours, doesn't make their purchase of the Ether C any less viable.

Also, people seem to think EDM is just that dronish, typical mainstream stuff. EDM has so many sub genres, it's ridiculous. If you listened to stuff like Chillstep, you'd think a bit more highly than just considering it all techno, house, dubstep.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,925 of 4,813
Don't understand the notion of a headphone being 'wasted' on a music genre. If it's the preferred genre of someone, why would a great headphone be wasted on it? I like the Ether C for absolutely all kinds of genres. IF EDM were my only genre, the Ether C would still be completely viable for it.

That's like saying the Ether C is wasted if you don't listen to music. I happen to use headphones the vast majority of the time for everything OTHER than music. Video games, movies, TV shows, youtube, podcasts, etc. Music is one of the things I hardly do unless I'm reviewing, or spending a lot of time browsing the internet (which I don't tend to do while I'm at home.)

Everyone has different reasons to use their headphones. Just because their music palette may not be as vast as yours, doesn't make their purchase of the Ether C any less viable.

Also, people seem to think EDM is just that dronish, typical mainstream stuff. EDM has so many sub genres, it's ridiculous. If you listened to stuff like Chillstep, you'd think a bit more highly than just considering it all techno, house, dubstep.

I believe it was his way of saying the C's can do anything and very well. That is me putting words in his mouth but they came out of mine as well if not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back