MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 3, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,761 of 4,813
Received my Ether C's today...HOLY CRAP!!!!...Anybody that's on the fence shouldn't be...That is all for now :blush:

[IMG][attach]1581780[/attach][/quote]

Get better with burn in.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,763 of 4,813
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #2,764 of 4,813
Originally Posted by wpiaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can say without a doubt that Mr. Speakers cables are overpriced. Further, I doubt  if there are any real sonic benefits between his standard version and the DUM cable, The DUM cable is mostly about packaging and perception. 

3. Cables are overpriced. I did not get the DUM cable. If this cable was "voice" with headphone it should be included free.

So you did not get the DUM cable but are able to say 'without a doubt' that it is overpriced.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #2,765 of 4,813
  We don't hard-sell the DUM cable, it's there as a choice for those open to the notion of cable sound and/or aesthetic and functional considerations.  If I didn't feel it was worth it we wouldn't offer it, but that doesn't mean everyone will agree.  It's a cable and as cables are the ultimate YMMV flashpoint and we have zero interest in debating the subject.  If you ask our opinion on the sound (beyond what we posted on the website) we'll share it, but I will never try to convince someone they must have the premium cable.   

We'll have WyWires, Nordost, Norse, Double-Helix, and probably a few other cables at SoCal CanJam, and are happy to swap them around for the curious, and we're happy to do blind tests where we swap cables for you while your eyes are shut (this may include placebos where we only pretend to change the cable, for those who are into the random thing).  Sometimes people hear a difference repeatably, sometimes results are random.  Instead of having an opinion based on prior experience, we simply suggest people keep an open mind, have some fun trying, and share their results, one way or another.  The only downside is cable differences can be subtle and the noise level at meets can mask them, so early in the day or late in the day is best, especially Sunday when fewer people are around...

A few questions then if I may:

1) I would love to ask your opinion on the DUM cable sound (compared to your standard cable) beyond what you shared on the site if that's ok with you.
2) How much copper/silver content is in DUM cable? If there is silver, is it silver plated copper?
3) Is the DUM cable solid core? What would be the arrangement?
4) What aftermarket cable most sounds like the DUM cable from the ones you have stated e.g. WyWires, Nordost, Norse and Double-Helix

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,766 of 4,813
Here's the thing..........I'm a strong believer of confirmation bias, and I've seen hilarious examples of it countless times, including to myself over and over. 

If you ask me to trust my ears and brain, I just can't do it because of so many previous failures. I have to measure it. Once it's measured and/or blind tested, THEN I'll say ok, you're right. 

That said, I have both the DUM and the regular cables and I'll swear on a stack of bibles that the DUM cables make everything sound more spacious and spread out than the regular cable-but I can't measure it, so in my book it doesn't exist. 

Sound quality of different components is of course heavily debated on Gearslutz, one of the audio engineering forums. We've tested, blind tested and debated about it and have found confirmation bias to be the culprit many times. However, the engineers that believe in the "magical" and usually unmeasurable advantages of certain gear are always the best and most accomplished audio engineers by a huge margin, while the objectivists inherently suck. They're usually right, but every time you look at their body of work, it sounds really bad. 

So when Dan says he believes DUM cables make his headphones sound better, I'm still not sure i agree with him *scientifically*, but I know that he's still on the right track for making some magical gear. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #2,767 of 4,813
I'm a big believer in blind testing. If you think there is a real difference in performance of <insert audio component here>, then blind testing is the way to confirm it.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #2,768 of 4,813
I'm this close to posting a video of every "believe" or "believer" song I can think of.  Mostly to derail the current conversation which is treading dangerously close to banned (outside of the sound science forum) discussion.

As to the fellow who's being critical... well we all have our own criteria for judging value.  There's nothing wrong with someone stating a fair list of pros and cons in his opinion.  If you disagree, that's fine too, but there's no need to resort to ad hominem attacks.  

Remember, negative feedback can help Dan make better products down the line.  An echo chamber of all positive feedback isn't super helpful -- not to MrSpeaker nor to people deciding whether to buy.  I know I personally go right for the negative reviews on Amazon and such to see what people who don't like the product are saying.  Then I use my brain to figure out if it's valid criticism or not.

Anyhoo, looking forward to hearing the 1.1 version in a couple weeks at Canjam!

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #2,769 of 4,813
  I'm this close to posting a video of every "believe" or "believer" song I can think of.  Mostly to derail the current conversation which is treading dangerously close to banned (outside of the sound science forum) discussion.

As to the fellow who's being critical... well we all have our own criteria for judging value.  There's nothing wrong with someone stating a fair list of pros and cons in his opinion.  If you disagree, that's fine too, but there's no need to resort to ad hominem attacks.  

Remember, negative feedback can help Dan make better products down the line.  An echo chamber of all positive feedback isn't super helpful -- not to MrSpeaker nor to people deciding whether to buy.  I know I personally go right for the negative reviews on Amazon and such to see what people who don't like the product are saying.  Then I use my brain to figure out if it's valid criticism or not.

Anyhoo, looking forward to hearing the 1.1 version in a couple weeks at Canjam!

Every day since I stopped burning in my Ether Cs I just marvel at the sound quality and soundstage of them. This on my entry level Schiit Lyr and Bifrost system. I have been waiting for my Yggy since Feb. 11, and they will be a couple of three weeks till it ships. Meanwhile I am glad I bought my Ethers first. Mine have the 1.1 upgrade, DUM single ended cable and one black pad per ear. Thank You Dan!!

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,774 of 4,813
The reason manufacturers invest big dollars in the presentation because it has been proven to improve sales.

True in a lot of cases, but not high end audio.......nobody is going to spend $1500+ because the packaging is nice. I would've bought my Ether C's if they came in a MacDonalds bag.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,775 of 4,813

Glad you bought the Ether C but the negativity of your comments, pervasive in this thread and your earlier threads, is surprising. Maybe you should relax a bit and enjoy the headphones -- this hobby is supposed to be about music and enjoyment. But instead you've focused on headphone return percentage (which is proprietary information), the lack of promptness of Dan's reply (and he didn't have to reply at all to your intrusive question), questioned price v. value, cited manufacturers' strategy to "jack up prices", and stated with absolute certainty that these cables are "overpriced" which you can say "without a doubt".  

You cite your background in engineering to support your position, but such background has perhaps narrowed your focus to preclude from your consideration the fact that there are other factors in pricing decisions than the cost of materials and manufacturing -- such as alternative products, competitive position and marketing strategy, for example. These are the factors that Dan has to face. You therefore are not a position to say they are "overpriced". Suggest you take a look at the pricing of other aftermarket cables, for example.

Nevertheless, welcome to the club and enjoy the Ether C (after break-in.) 

My wife's handbags are overpriced. She does not agree. From her perspective she is sold on the the brand name. Even when I explained that I was in China and know that they many of the brands are made in the same factory.  My Maui Jim sun shades are overpriced at $300--the same company makes most sun shades in the same Italian factory. They are overpriced at $300, but a good value at Costco for $75. From my perspective, knowing what I know about cable design and manufacturing, the DUM cable is overprice. You can disagree because maybe there is value for you, but I am not a member of the Mr. Speaker fan club--not yet anyway. So I have my opinion which based on deep experience and advance knowledge of the material cost of connectors and wiring assembles. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back