MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,731 of 4,813

I've been listening to my friends Ether C for about 4 weeks. I'm still not sure what to think of it, beautifully built headphone - one of the best I've seen. The tuning for me is not very accurate, it seems like that typical tuning to try extract details for the sake of a more natural FR - Nothing wrong with the headphones, they do well with that tuning but I need that low bass, natural curve and a bit more elegance as opposed to dry, slightly brittle even on my Gumby + Tube hybrid amps.

Extra points for the ear cups, love em.

I just got mine yesterday. Out of the box, the sound quality has a long way to go before it beats my HE-400S or the Oppo PM-3. I realize the break in period is long so I will remain patient. 

Besides sound quality there are few things that I believe need improvement and /or correction:

The Bad

3. Cables are overpriced. I did not get the DUM cable. If this cable was "voice" with headphone it should be included free.

The Question
I believe the Oppo PM-3 and the HiFiMan HE-400s are at the pinnacle of the price/performance cleft. The question is will the performance of the Ether justify the price difference of $1,100-$1,200? In 150 hours or so, I will have to answer that question.

With regards to the Dum cable, it is "free" if you buy the DUM cable bundle. MrSpeakers give you an option to buy a bundle with a less expensive cable. If the latter option were not available, you would get the Dum cable for "free". In other words, nothing is "free", not even the "free" data on your phone plan. You just have to decide how much "free" you want to pay for.

As for price performance, you very well be correct. No one buys summit-fi gear because of its price/performance ratio. The law of diminishing returns is the prime directive in audiophile land.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,732 of 4,813
Mar 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,733 of 4,813
Is it a common occurrence for carbon fiber to have "wrinkles"? I've noticed my pair has what appears to be a wrinkle in the weave 1cm long or so on one of the cups (the surface is still smooth). Just curious, every picture I've seen looks perfectly uniform.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #2,734 of 4,813
Is it a common occurrence for carbon fiber to have "wrinkles"? I've noticed my pair has what appears to be a wrinkle in the weave 1cm long or so on one of the cups (the surface is still smooth). Just curious, every picture I've seen looks perfectly uniform.

I don't have any wrinkles. You got a pic of what your talking about?

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,735 of 4,813
FWIW, 
  I just got mine yesterday. Out of the box, the sound quality has a long way to go before it beats my HE-400S or the Oppo PM-3. I realize the break in period is long so I will remain patient. 

Besides sound quality there are few things that I believe need improvement and /or correction:

The Bad
1. For $1,500 I would have expected a much better unboxing experience. The packaging materials as compared to the Audeze EL-8 are grossly inferior which is about 1/2 the price. The instructions look like they were produced in a small home office and the frequency response graph was impossible to read.
2. I can't believe a 1/4 adapter was not included.
3. Cables are overpriced. I did not get the DUM cable. If this cable was "voice" with headphone it should be included free.
4. 10% restocking fee. If a company has good profit margins and quality products, this fee would not be necessary.
5. Shipping charges--At least US ground should be free.

The good:
1. Beautiful cans and very well made. I have worked in the R&D and Manufacturing organizations of large electronics and medical device companies. I can't find fault with the construction or design.
2. I really like the cable design and the quick connect feature--well done!
3. Very comfortable to wear and the leather ear pads are sweet.
4. Tuning pads--after break-in I would be very interested how these affect sound quality.
5. Easy to drive--Works great with my Iphone 6s Plus and even better with the Oppo HA-2.

The Question
I believe the Oppo PM-3 and the HiFiMan HE-400s are at the pinnacle of the price/performance cleft. The question is will the performance of the Ether justify the price difference of $1,100-$1,200? In 150 hours or so, I will have to answer that question.

For what it's worth, I went through 4 pairs of EL-8's, before getting fed up with Audeze's QC issues. Left driver failed, right driver failed, sound wasn't balanced, both drivers failed, etc... All 4 went back, packaging and all. If only I could've plugged that beautiful box into my gumby...

I wish I could've saved a couple hundred bucks on my LCD-XC's as well by forgoing the Pelican/Otterbox they came in. 

Perhaps Dan should have a signature $2000 model that simply comes in a nicer box with a DUM cable! >.<

When you get a little more time on them, I'd be more interested to hear specifically the differences between the HE-400s and/or the PM-3's. Also, what does your setup consist of?

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,736 of 4,813

I have also noticed "wrinkles" in the carbon fiber on mine as well but mine seem to have quite a few of them. They are not very apparent and you would not notice them if you were just glancing at them or looking at them from a distance, but when you take a good look and the light catches it just right they are noticeable. I thought this might just be normal but I have never really studied carbon fiber up close before. Just like westermac said they look like little lines about 1cm, some are a little squiggly and they are mostly in the middle of the indentation on the cups. Its not really too annoying as they are on my head most of the time but when I take a break and sit back to admire them it does stand out.

I would upload a picture but I have just joined Head-fi so I need to post some more before I can access that but hopefully westermac can upload one

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,737 of 4,813
Originally Posted by MiloTx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps Dan should have a signature $2000 model that simply comes in a nicer box with a DUM cable! 

Please don't encourage him, last thing we need is another price gouging headphone company. Mr. Speakers is the affordable alternative.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #2,738 of 4,813

For what it's worth, I went through 4 pairs of EL-8's, before getting fed up with Audeze's QC issues. Left driver failed, right driver failed, sound wasn't balanced, both drivers failed, etc... All 4 went back, packaging and all. If only I could've plugged that beautiful box into my gumby...

I wish I could've saved a couple hundred bucks on my LCD-XC's as well by forgoing the Pelican/Otterbox they came in. 

Perhaps Dan should have a signature $2000 model that simply comes in a nicer box with a DUM cable! >.<

When you get a little more time on them, I'd be more interested to hear specifically the differences between the HE-400s and/or the PM-3's. Also, what does your setup consist of?

Was about to say.........the EL-8 is experiencing a significant amount of common defects-you left out the defect where EL-8's had screeching highs, which was the defect I had on a pair (I also had a driver fail) Audeze is replacing all the defective headphones it seems, but I think they should've had a full recall. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #2,741 of 4,813
  Wow, this thread is full of heros!  Thank you to all who have served and continue to serve!!!

You mean why are there so many mofo crouching tigers and hidden dragons on head-fi and especially in this one thread.

You have 30+ year professional DJ/audio engineers here such as inthere and Relic among many others (not to forget Dan himself) answering questions from relative noobs like myself.

Relic, when was the last time someone called you a crouching tiger?

"Crouching tiger, hidden dragon" is a Chinese idiom that describes a situation where a great deal of outstanding ability or exceptional talent is concealed in the seemingly ordinary appearance of those who possess such quality or refers directly to those who choose not to reveal their true capabilities. Examples of the idiom's common usage in modern Chinese may include: "This place is [full of] crouching tiger(s) [and] hidden dragon(s)" and "Through the years I never realized that he was [such a] crouching tiger / hidden dragon."

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,742 of 4,813
Please don't encourage him, last thing we need is another price gouging headphone company. Mr. Speakers is the affordable alternative.

I agree totally, MrSpeaker's headphones sound fantastic and are affordable. I sometimes forget about me HE1K's I just get lost in the sound signature of the Ether and ETHER C. I should write down a rotation schedule for my cans. But today, I will jam out using my ETHER'S, connected to my Yggdrasil and Ragnarock, listening to some old Pink Floyd and The Police. Hope everyone has a great day.:)

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2,743 of 4,813
I think that the Ether C needs careful pairing to sound its best. Not quite as picky as the HD800, but there can be similar issues around tonality. This is a very neutral headphone (like the HD800) - pair it with a neutral or neutral-bright amp and you can get a outcome that is unpleasant.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Ether C 1.0 with my Auralic Taurus. Bright and a little thin - not my cup of tea.

Pairing the Ether C 1.1 with my V281 is a very different experience. The V281 is a neutral-warm amp and it pairs nicely with the Ether C 1.1 (as well as the HD800S).

I agree with you Tony. I have used my Ether C with all my 3 amps (WA5-LE, MHA100 and V200. It sounds very nice with all of them.
Last week I received the Pass loaner from TTVJ and IMO the Ether sounds the best out of that amp.
The amp was ok with the HE1000, MHP1000 and HD800 but it really sounded the best with the W3000ANV and Ether C. Synergy between the amp and headphones is very important IMO.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,744 of 4,813

I would upload a picture but I have just joined Head-fi so I need to post some more before I can access that but hopefully westermac can upload one

Here's a photo (said wrinkle is at the center of the photo toward the bottom; carbon fiber is a tricky thing to photograph!):

Like you said @LukeThyWalker it's doesn't really stand out unless you take a closer look; just a curiosity.

On the plus side, if I ever need to identify my pair in a heap of Ether C's I'm all set 
beyersmile.png

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,745 of 4,813

Yes, it is common. The material is a cloth, and because we have multiple contours in the surface the fibers can stretch before heat treatment. Its not always regular. Carbon lays best in sheets or as cylinders, or when curves all go one direction.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back