MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #2,701 of 4,813
Yeah I liked my old E12 but it won't compete with a desktop amp. It's also probably not the best fit for the Ethers, it is a bit lean sounding so it pairs better with bass heavy headphones like Audeze LCD-2 which is what I used it with

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,704 of 4,813

Thank you for the response. Very helpful. May I please ask how you would compare to a good desktop rig vs the E12/C5? Is the scaling miles off in terms of performance?

Suggest you get a Chord Mojo.  It's been reported that it gives up virtually nothing against high quality desktop rigs. The dac portion is outstanding and it's been compared with high priced full sized dacs, and the amp portion has as much power as any portable available.  I use the Mojo with my Ether C and it's a terrific combination.  Much much better than my AK240. Check out the Mojo Impressions thread.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,705 of 4,813
  Suggest you get a Chord Mojo.  It's been reported that it gives up virtually nothing against high quality desktop rigs. The dac portion is outstanding and it's been compared with high priced full sized dacs, and the amp portion has as much power as any portable available.  I use the Mojo with my Ether C and it's a terrific combination.  Much much better than my AK240. Check out the Mojo Impressions thread.

I love the mojo

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #2,706 of 4,813
I love the mojo

x2

ETHER C sounds great from the Mojo. I also find that after upgrading to the 1.1 foam I am listening at a lower dB volume, yet the sound is more dynamic as if I was listening at a higher volume. Win.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,708 of 4,813
x2

ETHER C sounds great from the Mojo. I also find that after upgrading to the 1.1 foam I am listening at a lower dB volume, yet the sound is more dynamic as if I was listening at a higher volume. Win.

I've noticed that too. Do you think part of it is maybe because the 1.1 foam isn't attenuating as much as the 2nd white felt? It seems like the sensitivity could be a couple dB higher with 1.1

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,709 of 4,813
I've noticed that too. Do you think part of it is maybe because the 1.1 foam isn't attenuating as much as the 2nd white felt? It seems like the sensitivity could be a couple dB higher with 1.1

Oh for sure. It's the only logical explanation. The sensitivity wouldn't change though.

All that would change is the perceived frequency balance, and yet the bass feels so much more present lately as well. I'm definitely thinking unicorn tears.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #2,710 of 4,813
I am loving my ether c.
They ended up costing me more than expected as I live in New Zealand and got stung with an extra 15% tax (gst) for importation.
Still well worth it though and I have consequently sold my lcd xc.
The isolation is superb which I need as at this time of year there is a constant drone of wildlife noise ( cicadas mostly ) which is incredibly pervasive when listening to music on a headphone with anything but excellent isolation.
I am using the idsd and have just added the ican micro se.
These work wonderfully together. With the 1.1 foam and no pads I have great control as I get full details and I can instantly add bass when needed with the three bass options on the Ican se.
Sometimes I use no boost, sometimes and most commonly just add one dot on the bass. With the icans bass boost set to max, these headphones become true bass monsters with powerful rumbling, musical and controlled bass but still with wonderful detail and musicality. I love the fact that I can just reach over and change the bass level with the flick of a switch depending on the song.
This can of course all be achieved with the tuning pads.
I am very happy with these supremely comfortable and amazing sounding headphones

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #2,711 of 4,813
I am loving my ether c.
They ended up costing me more than expected as I live in New Zealand and got stung with an extra 15% tax (gst) for importation.
Still well worth it though and I have consequently sold my lcd xc.
The isolation is superb which I need as at this time of year there is a constant drone of wildlife noise ( cicadas mostly ) which is incredibly pervasive when listening to music on a headphone with anything but excellent isolation.
I am using the idsd and have just added the ican micro se.
These work wonderfully together. With the 1.1 foam and no pads I have great control as I get full details and I can instantly add bass when needed with the three bass options on the Ican se.
Sometimes I use no boost, sometimes and most commonly just add one dot on the bass. With the icans bass boost set to max, these headphones become true bass monsters with powerful rumbling, musical and controlled bass but still with wonderful detail and musicality. I love the fact that I can just reach over and change the bass level with the flick of a switch depending on the song.
This can of course all be achieved with the tuning pads.
I am very happy with these supremely comfortable and amazing sounding headphones

Great to see a fellow kiwi enjoying the c. I still have to order the 1.1 upgrade.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,712 of 4,813
x2

x3

This is my personal setup, love my Mojo / Ether-C combo, looking forward to getting my hands on the 1.1 upgrade foam in the near future.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,714 of 4,813
So I've had my Ether C for about a week now, and just wanted to share a few impressions...

The backstory is that I've had a Liquid Carbon + LCD-X as my work setup, which has been fantastic save for the fact that open cans in my workspace hasn't been a great fit (Coworkers disrupting my music and vise-versa, so I have to listen at pretty low level. This makes the ambient noise issue even worse and the LCD-X just BEGS to be cranked up. Listening to the X at low levels is like driving a GTO in a 25mph zone...)

I've already tried the LCD-XC and wasn't keen on the extra weight and 3-5k peekyness. All of this led me to order the Ether C, which I had correctly been told is a completely different animal than the LCD-X... Here is my comparison between the two:

LCD-X Bass: Thunderous. Needs no introduction. The X low end gives such a tremendous weight to music, at the expense of being a bit overbearing at times. 
Ether C Bass: All about that sub bass. The Ether C comes across rather lean in the mid bass region compared to the X; though what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in control, and can take EQ like a champ to rival the X's bass presence, all while keeping things a bit tighter.

LCD-X Mids: Lush, euphonic lower mids and recessed upper mids give the X easily the most pleasant and inoffensive midrange I have ever heard. It does wonders to instrumentation of any kind, at the expense of vocals (particularly male) coming across a bit recessed.
Ether C Mids: Unapologetically more mid-forward. Vocals are pushed right up to the font, electric guitars cut through and drums crack. This combined with (imo) better imaging chops than the X makes for a very involving and exciting performance (without the harsh peakyness of the XC).

LCD-X Treble: The X has a nice "sparkly" treble that adds a shimmer to recordings, without coming across sibilant. There is a bit of an emphasis on the 10k region which helps bring out the little details (string plucks, light cymbal taps) very nicely.
Ether-C Treble: The Ether C's treble strikes me as being more elevated and linear than the X, and seems to give a more complete picture without emphasizing or reducing any particular band. Again this adds to the Ether C's more involving (and I would say) analytical sound.
I've always avoided brighter headphones like the plague since any peaks at this level make me wince and ruins the experience. The Ether C is the without a doubt the brightest headphone that I've ever enjoyed, since it is able to execute this area smoothly.

LCD-X Soundstage: The LCD-X has a very spacious, concert hall-esqe soundstage (Specifically the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam if anyone else has messed around with IR reverb) tons of depth and width. It's a very laid-back and relaxing experience.
Ether C Soundstage: Clearly we are comparing open and closed cans here, so the Ether C cannot match the X in terms of soundstage width, but in depth and imaging the Ether C wins. Whereas the X paints a complete picture of how all the instruments are working together, the Ether C pulls you up onto the stage and lets you observe and listen to each one. Really cool.
Long story short, these are both excellent headphones which are quite different from one another. My dilemma is that I can only afford to keep one 
confused_face.gif

Every time I put the Ether C on my head I am struck by its crystal clear, exciting presentation and razor sharp imaging; and while I do miss some of the mid-bass of the X a bit of EQ can remedy that. Then I put the LCD-X on my head and it's like I've entered a concert hall and all the instruments have grown by ten feet, and I can feel the lush lower midrange beckoning me back into Audeze's dark lair...

Subjectively, it's impossible to choose: they're both too good. Objectively, I need a closed can; and while the X delivers euphony by the boatload I also depend on my headphones for audio correction/mixing, and the Ether C I think is more trustworthy in this regard, lacking the (admittedly tasty) areas of emphasis and reduction in the LCD-X.

I've been avoiding this decision in my mind, but it's probably time I begin saying goodbye to my LCD-X. It's been a dear friend, but all good things must come to an end. When I feel like crying, I will put on the Ether C, and be taken back into the music 
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,715 of 4,813
  I've been listening to my friends Ether C for about 4 weeks. I'm still not sure what to think of it, beautifully built headphone - one of the best I've seen. The tuning for me is not very accurate, it seems like that typical tuning to try extract details for the sake of a more natural FR - Nothing wrong with the headphones, they do well with that tuning but I need that low bass, natural curve and a bit more elegance as opposed to dry, slightly brittle even on my Gumby + Tube hybrid amps.

Extra points for the ear cups, love em.

I just got mine yesterday. Out of the box, the sound quality has a long way to go before it beats my HE-400S or the Oppo PM-3. I realize the break in period is long so I will remain patient. 

Besides sound quality there are few things that I believe need improvement and /or correction:

The Bad
1. For $1,500 I would have expected a much better unboxing experience. The packaging materials as compared to the Audeze EL-8 are grossly inferior which is about 1/2 the price. The instructions look like they were produced in a small home office and the frequency response graph was impossible to read.
2. I can't believe a 1/4 adapter was not included.
3. Cables are overpriced. I did not get the DUM cable. If this cable was "voice" with headphone it should be included free.
4. 10% restocking fee. If a company has good profit margins and quality products, this fee would not be necessary.
5. Shipping charges--At least US ground should be free.

The good:
1. Beautiful cans and very well made. I have worked in the R&D and Manufacturing organizations of large electronics and medical device companies. I can't find fault with the construction or design.
2. I really like the cable design and the quick connect feature--well done!
3. Very comfortable to wear and the leather ear pads are sweet.
4. Tuning pads--after break-in I would be very interested how these affect sound quality.
5. Easy to drive--Works great with my Iphone 6s Plus and even better with the Oppo HA-2.

The Question
I believe the Oppo PM-3 and the HiFiMan HE-400s are at the pinnacle of the price/performance cleft. The question is will the performance of the Ether justify the price difference of $1,100-$1,200? In 150 hours or so, I will have to answer that question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back