MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 17, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #2,446 of 4,813
Dan, been with you since the Mad Dogs.  Still waiting for a small portable planar.  Are you going to let Audeze Sine beat you to it?

They definitely beat us. We weren't in that race though... hopr they do well with it and I look forward to hearing it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2,447 of 4,813
deleted

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #2,448 of 4,813
I think Audeze sine already beat us but that's not the race I'm out to win....

I dropped the LCD2 and HE-6 for your Mad Dog, that's how much my ears agree with your tuning.  With the Ether C, it's just out of this world for me. Even from a ipod and portable amp I get lost in the music.  I just wished it had a little brother.  I do a lot of things while wearing the Ether C.  Today I was on a bench outside enjoying the music and fresh air and I turned my head following a falcon's glide and the corner of the carbon cup touched the stucco wall behind me.  Now there is a pin head size hole in the clear coat. AHHH!!   Come on Dan, I think many people would like a smaller Ether.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2,449 of 4,813
I dropped the LCD2 and HE-6 for your Mad Dog, that's how much my ears agree with your tuning.  With the Ether C, it's just out of this world for me. Even from a ipod and portable amp I get lost in the music.  I just wished it had a little brother.  I do a lot of things while wearing the Ether C.  Today I was on a bench outside enjoying the music and fresh air and I turned my head following a falcon's glide and the corner of the carbon cup touched the stucco wall behind me.  Now there is a pin head size hole in the clear coat. AHHH!!   Come on Dan, I think many people would like a smaller Ether.

I know the struggle, it's hard to resist the temptation of looking after those falcons. Especially the ones with long legs - I mean wings. :-D

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #2,451 of 4,813

The change is more complex than the tuning pads, which act more predictably like tone control.  

With the foam, ETHER becomes simultaneously less bright but more revealing, while ETHER C doesn't quite get brighter, but it adds more sense of air (OK, call it brighter, but it doesn't make the phone "hot" if you follow, as the gain in the highs is above 9K).  Micro details really pop everywhere, even the bass, and yet the highs become better focused and smooth.  It's subtle yet not.  

Now that Captain Enigma has spoken, you will doubtless go to sleep thoroughly confused.  But hey, at $9.99 + shipping we're sending these out at way less than it cost to develop and produce because I wanted there to be no reason for owners of a headphone in this class to not just try it.  It's really worth trying, and while I can't promise everyone will like it, most will.  

Worst case is you disagree and burn $14-25 depending on where you live and you decide to take it out...  So far nobody who's tested it has expressed any desire to go back.  

So, if you are buying new, are the new pads automatically included or do you need to order/request them along with the Ether C?
Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #2,454 of 4,813
Ordered my 1.1 foam.

Shipping to Australia more than the cost of the foam itself, lol.

Not that these headphones need any kind of upgrade but very curious to see how it goes.

+1 ordered one too for Australia.

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,455 of 4,813

Yeah, I also haven't felt like I needed to tune out the highs.  They're just right with my gear, IMO, and I wouldn't want any smoothing....  Sound like the new pads aren't for me, then?

I actually haven't changed anything in my ETHER-C phones since receiving them, but I can see why there's a market for various tuning options as a fairly common approach to headphone systems seems to be mega-buck headphones paired with mediocre amplification and/or DAC / source components.

I'll pulled this quote from an email I sent to Dan a while back. It may help explain what the term "smootthing" means to me.

"The new material attenuated the lower treble to a modest degree.  This gave way to a smoother presentation that I am growing to appreciate the more I listen. Also, I'm finding that I'm hearing details in a different way. I'm noticing them more often. They are more present and more pleasant than before."

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2,457 of 4,813
Well I might as well give it a shot. If I don't like the 1.1 foam, then I'll donate it to head fi.

Now where are the instructions for taking the ear pads off?

mmm...the process of removing and replacing the earpads on the Ether (O) is the same the as Ether C. Just remove it as shown in the video. I just did it with my Ether just awhile ago. Getting it back on can be a little big tricky (the edge of the leather material has to wrap around the edges (over and under).

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,459 of 4,813
Well I might as well give it a shot. If I don't like the 1.1 foam, then I'll donate it to head fi.

Now where are the instructions for taking the ear pads off?

Dan posted the link a couple pages ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3jq2FUDvH6g&feature=youtu.be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back