MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 31, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,251 of 4,813
I heard the Ether C on the London show yesterday.
They had over 500 hours on them so i think that was enough burn in.
I want to congratulate Dan for making literally the best sounding closed full size headphones out there.
Tried with Lotoo Paw Gold and Tera player.
They had the DUM cable.Still concerned a bit about guys with big ears for touching the sides of the earpards because of the shape,but other than that everything is there: amazing sound, excellent build quality, comfortable and low weight.
A winner.
Shall order mine soon.

I have large ears and the ETHER C are the most comfortable headphone I own!

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #2,252 of 4,813
Well that's a first!  Maybe let Mark take a look and see if he can troubleshoot that, if he has a minute, I have no idea what kind of circuit failure would do that so I'm curious...

Mark's troubleshooting skills were top notch.......I thought I had defective pair after Robert Watt said they didn't sound like the same Ether C he'd heard at the Singapore event because there was literally no bass. Mark listened and heard the problem then switched to the DUM cable and BAM (yes, BAM!) the bass returned. He even let me take the Ether C with the Dum cable back to Robert so i could let him hear it again and he confirmed it was the same Ether C. 

Robert is an old school expert man, I couldn't believe he remembered the Ether C's sound from a previous event like 6 months ago. Also impressive that he wanted to listen to my Ether C on his new amp, the Chord "Dave" when there were LCD 4's on it already. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #2,253 of 4,813
I heard the Ether C on the London show yesterday.
They had over 500 hours on them so i think that was enough burn in.
I want to congratulate Dan for making literally the best sounding closed full size headphones out there.
Tried with Lotoo Paw Gold and Tera player.
They had the DUM cable.Still concerned a bit about guys with big ears for touching the sides of the earpards because of the shape,but other than that everything is there: amazing sound, excellent build quality, comfortable and low weight.
A winner.
Shall order mine soon.

I have large ears and the ETHER C are the most comfortable headphone I own!

Are your ears 7 cm or more in height?

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #2,254 of 4,813
Are your ears 7 cm or more in height?

Just measured... 7.8 cm in height, from the top to bottom of the lobe. I actually tuck my ear lobe in to the ear cup on most headphones to create the best seal. Lol!

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,255 of 4,813
Didn't believe the whole wire thing until today.. Brought my Ether C to the Headroom meet in London and they were horribly light on the bass to the point where they were missing information on the low end. It was finally pointed out to me by Robert Watt from Chord Audio when I was listening to their new flagship amp Dave that it wasn't the same Ether C that he'd heard at another meet. So I went to Mr Speakers section to compare with the Ether C's on display and the rep gave me a DUM cable to hook up. BAM, there was the bass!

So the stock cable had no bass..........I couldn't believe it. Connected the DUM and all was awesome. I'm about to blow a ton on cables now, because everything I heard coming out of balanced cables sounded super sweet too.

I would literally bet my life on there being no cables which will give you better bass.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,256 of 4,813
For those of you with large ears and big budgets, may I recommend otoplasty 
http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/ear-surgery.html

Can't be more expensive than an abyss, a Dave DAC, a Blue Hawaii amp, fancy tubes, and overpriced cables :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,257 of 4,813
1) It's fine for me that C is not a bass head can... After burn in is the only bass which seems to be "settle down"? Or do you notice some other change as well?
2) What dac/amp do you use with it or what is your favourite setup?

Mine hasn't reached the noted 100 or 150 hours. They seem to have gotten a bit more cohesive, and the bass seems a bit more present. I think further burn in will be me getting used to them. Amps are Cavalli Liquid Crimson and Carbon. Dac is Audio-gd Dac-19 11th anniversary edition.

So far, I like them a bunch. There are a couple of open headphones I like a touch better for my taste including the open ether. I need closed cans, and these are the best I have heard. When you need closed cans, it doesn't matter if there are a couple of open cans that you might like better…

Exactly. And I suspect a couple db at and around 300 Hz is going to be the right eq tweak in Amarra.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,258 of 4,813
Didn't believe the whole wire thing until today.. Brought my Ether C to the Headroom meet in London and they were horribly light on the bass to the point where they were missing information on the low end. It was finally pointed out to me by Robert Watt from Chord Audio when I was listening to their new flagship amp Dave that it wasn't the same Ether C that he'd heard at another meet. So I went to Mr Speakers section to compare with the Ether C's on display and the rep gave me a DUM cable to hook up. BAM, there was the bass!

So the stock cable had no bass..........I couldn't believe it. Connected the DUM and all was awesome. I'm about to blow a ton on cables now, because everything I heard coming out of balanced cables sounded super sweet too.

After you went inthere, Mark and I experimented with one of the aftermarket cables available at the show.

The Atlas Zeno sounded great though we both had to give our ears ten minutes to adjust.
Checking their website it appear to be so new they've not set up the weblinks yet (I think they said it was about £280 for 3 metres)

I also tried the Atlas Zeno on my LCD2.2 and it sounded excellent (tonally a near match for my more expensive Toxic SW22).
Check with Mark in a few weeks as I'm sure he will keep experimenting.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,259 of 4,813
Have anyone tried using all of the tuning pads? I tried using 1x white and 2x black inside each cup and that really brought out the bass. The tonality is much better now, haven't done any in-depth comparison, but this is a step in the right direction.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,261 of 4,813
DAMN YOU ALL!!
evil_smiley.gif
!!!
evil_smiley.gif
!!!
evil_smiley.gif
!!!
evil_smiley.gif
!!!
evil_smiley.gif
!!

Mine are ordered and on the way!   

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,263 of 4,813
Have anyone tried using all of the tuning pads? I tried using 1x white and 2x black inside each cup and that really brought out the bass. The tonality is much better now, haven't done any in-depth comparison, but this is a step in the right direction.

Which is best. Black black white? White Blake black? Or Oreo, black white black?

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #2,264 of 4,813
Hi guys, just about to buy some ether cs. I'm just wondering do you think the Sony nw-zx2 could drive the ether cs well? Or is it worth it to shell out a decent £400 for an amp? I'm going sleep, been up too long looking at reviews etc XD Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back