MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Nov 3, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #1,111 of 4,813
Input welcomed please. My Ether C order is on the way, but want to upgrade my portable rig.  I've both the Sony ZX2 and AK120 II.  Currently I've got the ZX2 rigged with ALO MK3-B balanced to Headphone.  I'm considering getting either the Sony PHA-3 or Cord Mojo and wondering which will give better bass slam/impact to the Ether-C?  

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,112 of 4,813
Are the Ether C's pretty roomy for those of us with larger ears?  It's hard to tell with the limited pictures out there how much depth there is.  I'm currently using Beyer T5P's and find those to be fairly comfortable.    

And speaking of the T5P, how do the Ether C's compare to those who have heard both?  

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #1,113 of 4,813
Are the Ether C's pretty roomy for those of us with larger ears?  It's hard to tell with the limited pictures out there how much depth there is.  I'm currently using Beyer T5P's and find those to be fairly comfortable.    

And speaking of the T5P, how do the Ether C's compare to those who have heard both?  

They're comfy, probably a hair less than the T5p, which is lighter and has less clamping force, but very comfortable nevertheless. I have slightly larger ears and no trouble with the inner dimensions of the pads in the Ether C. Not yet done a comparison between my T5p and Ether C, I think the Ether C will have the better of that match-up on my superficial impressions so far.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,114 of 4,813
Awesome, thank you for the info.  From just your brief impression how do you find the bass on the Ether C compared to the T5P?  I find the T5P bass to be ample on most stuff, but wouldn't mind a little more.  I do like the sub bass on the T5P, it's the mid bass it's lacking sometimes. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #1,115 of 4,813
Awesome, thank you for the info.  From just your brief impression how do you find the bass on the Ether C compared to the T5P?  I find the T5P bass to be ample on most stuff, but wouldn't mind a little more.  I do like the sub bass on the T5P, it's the mid bass it's lacking sometimes. 

I would say, off the top of my head, that the C has the T5p comfortably beat for the bass (as a reference point I like the quality of the bass in the T5p, it just doesn't have enough - when I listen only to the T5p and acclimate to its signature I don't feel put out by the bass particularly, but then I switch to my HE6 and it's one of those rare instances when it's actually true to say that the difference is night and day). Please take that with a significant grain of salt though, lots of biases and other challenges operating here (new toy, expectation bias with planar bass Vs other driver types, no back to back comparison, moderately severe eustachian tube dysfunction messing with my hearing right now). I will have more to say on this comparison, probably going to invite a few friends over to gather a few more data points once I'm over this damn cold.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,116 of 4,813
Great looking audio swag for the office, hope it always puts a smile on your mug.:)

Hi My friend reddog ,
Yesterday had sent my HETER C , waiting for shipment in order handling it eagerly . Actually I have the YULONG D 200 DSD DAC amp with output power 1W . I am not sure if it will drive enough properly to receive perfect quality of sound . Would you please tell me which hybrid amp and DAC I must buy from Audio Schiit. I want to buy the best gear amp and DAC from Schiit Company , You can email your answer also to my email address " myyavas48@gmail.com " . Very many thanks dear friend Reddog . Have your fun with your amazing HETRER C HEADPHONES - Schiit DAC amp and with all other splendid headphones and gears . Hope to hear from you friend guy Reddog, :thumbsup::grinning::blush:
Submariner2
Mustafa Yeten Yavas
Retired Captain Turkish Navy
Istanbul Turkey

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,117 of 4,813
Great looking audio swag for the office, hope it always puts a smile on your mug.:)

High Dear Friend Reddog , Very many thanks for your precious and detailed email to me regarding Audio Schiit Ragnarock DAC and Ygdrasil Amp . I will purchase them from Audio Schiit . That's very kind of you answering me prompt . Hope to hear from you further more dear experienced audiophile friend Reddog . Wish you the best. Soncerely .
Your friend Submariner2

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,118 of 4,813
Well, after my initial enthusiasm I must admit to some new skepticism about the ETHER-C's audio performance. I've been going back-and-forth with the LCD-XC at the office and while my opinion of the ETHER-C's superior clarity and transparency remains, there are two problems I'm seeing: a noticeable hollowness/congestion/lack of impact in the midrange (lack of an "eardrum tickle"), and a narrow soundstage. The latter is also the case with the open ETHER (and something I can live and even adjust with the Isone plugin), but definitely not the former -- the open ETHER tickles your eardrums with the best of them. I'm hoping this is just growing pains during break-in, but given that most of what I listen to is rock and related genres, a big midrange is not optional.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,119 of 4,813
  Well, after my initial enthusiasm I must admit to some new skepticism about the ETHER-C's audio performance. I've been going back-and-forth with the LCD-XC at the office and while my opinion of the ETHER-C's superior clarity and transparency remains, there are two problems I'm seeing: a noticeable hollowness/congestion/lack of impact in the midrange (lack of an "eardrum tickle"), and a narrow soundstage. The latter is also the case with the open ETHER (and something I can live and even adjust with the Isone plugin), but definitely not the former -- the open ETHER tickles your eardrums with the best of them. I'm hoping this is just growing pains during break-in, but given that most of what I listen to is rock and related genres, midrange must be a strength. Hopefully it improves...?

It's good to hear some more balanced feedback.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,120 of 4,813
  Well, after my initial enthusiasm I must admit to some new skepticism about the ETHER-C's audio performance. I've been going back-and-forth with the LCD-XC at the office and while my opinion of the ETHER-C's superior clarity and transparency remains, there are two problems I'm seeing: a noticeable hollowness/congestion/lack of impact in the midrange (lack of an "eardrum tickle"), and a narrow soundstage. The latter is also the case with the open ETHER (and something I can live and even adjust with the Isone plugin), but definitely not the former -- the open ETHER tickles your eardrums with the best of them. I'm hoping this is just growing pains during break-in, but given that most of what I listen to is rock and related genres, a big midrange is not optional.

I do hope your experience changes as time passes. I too listen to rock and related genres. To me, as long as they give me a slightly better impact in the midrange compared to my old AKT5p, I'll be a happy rock fan. I'm now especially worried since I'm almost always portable.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #1,121 of 4,813
I must say I'm surprised at several people saying that the Ether C sounds thin and congested.  During my brief listening to it at the Nashville meet, it sounded full and with a good soundstage / openness.   It was being run from a Liquid Gold, so maybe tubes work well with it?  Hoping that inconsistent units / unit variations aren't the cause of such varying impressions of the sound signature.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,122 of 4,813

If you do decide not to keep them pm me as I need a closed headphone and would be happy to buy them from you for a couple hundred below retail. :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,123 of 4,813
Just took notice of shipping today! Unfortunately it showed Saturday arrival this morning and is now showing Tuesday, oh well, I might actually just wrap them up and call them a Christmas present anyways.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,125 of 4,813

Are you using them with your WA5-LE? Assuming you are, if you are connecting the to the low impedance output then try the high impedance output. I found that even that normally planar magnetic headphones have low impedance they sound better out of the high impedance output on my WA5-LE. My guess is that it provides them more current which they like. I also change my power tubes from EML 300B Mesh to AVVT AV32B which are equivalent to the EML 300B-XLS. These tubes give you a little more output power.

I listened to the Ether-C on Dan's WA-5 and they sounded fantastic to the point that I place my order on the spot. I ma receiving mine this weekend so I can try them with my WA5-LE and report back.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back