MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Nov 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,321 of 4,813
I msg'd Dan yesterday, and he confirmed that all new Ether C orders were going out (as of last Thurs) with the felt kit in box. All future orders will continue to do so. Awesome!
Did he say anything about current owners? I'm just wondering if it's sent to all of us or if we need to request it.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,322 of 4,813
Did he say anything about current owners? I'm just wondering if it's sent to all of us or if we need to request it.

I'm also wondering if those of us who did not order the Cs directly from the Mr Speakers website. Waiting to hear back from Dan on that. I would imagine I would, but didn't know if he would necessarily have the info for that.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,323 of 4,813

Read my prior posts... :cool:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,324 of 4,813

engineered scarcity or actual scarcity (like ethers :), doesn't matter. That's the point of the cartel or the orpheus. 

The Orpheus is a damn good metaphor for the diamond-industry in the area of audio-equipment, actually :p

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,325 of 4,813

The Orpheus is a damn good metaphor for the diamond-industry in the area of audio-equipment, actually :p

There's a lot of headphones that are "diamond-like" in terms of their price to value ratio.  But value is a relative term.  If it's worth it to you, and your willing to pay the price, then so what?  And if you're posting here, your probably willing to pay the price. 

Another way of putting it, $1600 headphones are absolutely crazy to my wife, but if I want them then that's fine, what does she care.  To me little sparkly rocks that cost $1600 is crazy, but she loves them... 

In the end we're both happy.  So it works...

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,326 of 4,813

There's a lot of headphones that are "diamond-like" in terms of their price to value ratio.  But value is a relative term.  If it's worth it to you, and your willing to pay the price, then so what?  And if you're posting here, your probably willing to pay the price. 

Another way of putting it, $1600 headphones are absolutely crazy to my wife, but if I want them then that's fine, what does she care.  To me little sparkly rocks that cost $1600 is crazy, but she loves them... 

In the end we're both happy.  So it works...

But at least there's a REASON for the Ether C being so expensive.  Diamonds that cost 1600 dollars, on the other hand, would ACTUALLY be worth only about 10 to 20 dollars each, literally, if the market reflected their true level of scarcity (namely, that they AREN'T scarce).  I am not exaggerating in the slightest.  The mark-up on diamonds is absolutely gargantuan.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,327 of 4,813

But at least there's a REASON for the Ether C being so expensive.  Diamonds that cost 1600 dollars, on the other hand, would ACTUALLY be worth only about 10 to 20 dollars each, literally, if the market reflected their true level of scarcity (namely, that they AREN'T scarce).  I am not exaggerating in the slightest.  The mark-up on diamonds is absolutely gargantuan.

While off topic, very true: http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-********
Resale for diamonds is pathetic. They are a bad investment. It will take many, many years for your diamond to be worth what you paid for it in resale. If one must have diamonds, consider Costco which has much lower markups.
When I got rings, I used beautiful man made stones and put all the money into the custom settings. Still not a good investment, but at least it is one of a kind and no overpriced stones.
Now back to your regularly scheduled headphone discussion...

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,328 of 4,813
We're sending the tuning kit updates today and tomorrow to all orders shipped before Nov 12.  If you are in the US you should receive them within a week, overseas may take up to 2-3 weeks as they are going first class.  A short tutorial video, and I do mean SHORT, is also up on Youtube.  https://youtu.be/51dmEyjdVlI

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,329 of 4,813
  We're sending the tuning kit updates today and tomorrow to all orders shipped before Nov 12.  If you are in the US you should receive them within a week, overseas may take up to 2-3 weeks as they are going first class.  A short tutorial video, and I do mean SHORT, is also up on Youtube.  https://youtu.be/51dmEyjdVlI

Nice, I was expecting having to remove the pads

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,330 of 4,813
Best investment in the music business is Steinway. You get a lifetime guarantee for 100% of your original purchase price when you upgrade to a new model. Pretty safe bet since my piano is worth double what I paid for 20 years ago.

Hint Hint Mr Speakers 
L3000.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,331 of 4,813
So the tuning pads are a piece of felt?

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,332 of 4,813
  So the tuning pads are a piece of felt?

The black ones are a synthetic felt, the white is not a felt per se though it looks it (and that's enough said on that...
wink_face.gif
 ).

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,334 of 4,813
The black ones are a synthetic felt, the white is not a felt per se though it looks it (and that's enough said on that... :wink_face:  ).
Ok well it's worth a shot seeing what kind of effect it has on the sound

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,335 of 4,813

The black ones are a synthetic felt, the white is not a felt per se though it looks it (and that's enough said on that...
wink_face.gif
 ).

Let me help you with some marketing speak:

Black filters are made from the most advanced carbon nano tubes availablee that are formed by 99.999999% pure carbon ingots fired at 10,000 deg C and spun in a zero gravity vacuum.

White filters are made from the tiny fallen whiskers of a baby ermine that our source collects from abandoned ermine dens so that no animals are harmed in the process but requires trekking through 320 square miles to make one pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back