MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 16, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #3,001 of 4,813
Didn't you get the printout of the graph and a brief description of what the tuning kit is for? Also, if you look on the box it will say 1.0 or 1.1, just posting for other users before they remove their earpads to find out.

mmm....I did. But what was imprinted in my mind was the pad upgrade procedure  for the Ether (Open). I thought it was the same procedure for the Ether C. In any case, I've tried the different pad combo (no pad, one white, one black or two blacks) and the one that is closest to my preference is the single black pad inserted into the earpad "window." I'm very impressed with the Ether C. Only downside: since I live in a tropical country (and summer is just around), my ears sweats a lot more than usual  lol! Currently testing my Ether C with my AK 240 + Vorzuge Pure II plus. Really loving it......same with the V 1.1 Ether Open.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #3,002 of 4,813
Typical EDM impressions from non-EDM listeners. You're categorizing essentially just a few genres of EDM.

That's a blanket statement, that holds no ground in the grand scheme of things, considering how vast and varied EDM is. But ok, I'll leave you to your notions.

There are plenty of sub-genre producers that make music with a lot of heart and soul into it, with the technical expertise.

And you're correct, it does sound snobbish.

But what do you know, I only listen to this 'bombastic and fat' EDM, and not symphonic metal, jazz, celtic, downtempo, and a host of other genres. Right.

Your suggestions are unwarranted, as I have 'tried' headphones with all manner of things..

Gotta love audio snobs that think they know everything about music because they have a notion that their taste in music is better than anyone else's.

A headphone is a headphone, regardless of price or intention of use. If people love the clarity and depth the Ether C brings out for their bombastic and fat EDM, they're just as warranted in getting it as anyone else who listens to snobby, wine tasting Victorian-era music. Just my two cents.

Never understood this mentality that things made for a purpose (like audio) are only meant for one demographic.

No, I especially wrote that I listen to EDM, that is not just Dance, but more complex arrangements on Soundcloud or Bandcamp. But yet I have to come across electronica where you have the plug of string decaying into a black background like it is completely normal in acoustic music. I am saying that the dynamic range in 16 bit electronica is mostly more narrow than with classical or acoustic recordings where 24bit headroom can make a difference. I especially said that I listen to Black Music, I am also spinning on two 1210s, a TTX and a Rane 56 and my YouTube mixes of Pete Rock or DnB speak for themselves. What I said is that you can enjoy Electronica and Black Music with a good 1770 Pro from Beyerdynamic for 500-600 bucks, but you will not be able to enjoy acoustic or classical records or bad and suboptimal records with such headphone. I know, because I have them here.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #3,003 of 4,813
mmm....I did. But what was imprinted in my mind was the pad upgrade procedure  for the Ether (Open). I thought it was the same procedure for the Ether C. In any case, I've tried the different pad combo (no pad, one white, one black or two blacks) and the one that is closest to my preference is the single black pad inserted into the earpad "window." I'm very impressed with the Ether C. Only downside: since I live in a tropical country (and summer is just around), my ears sweats a lot more than usual  lol! Currently testing my Ether C with my AK 240 + Vorzuge Pure II plus. Really loving it......same with the V 1.1 Ether Open.

I know you've got a lot of great gear so it's nice to read your thoughts on the ETHER C. I can see how they feel warm in a warm climate. It's been raining here for about 200 days straight (exaggeration) and I'm starting to look like Gollum.

I also default to one black pad. Trying out the white again tonight though.

:beerchug:

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,004 of 4,813
Didn't you get the printout of the graph and a brief description of what the tuning kit is for? Also, if you look on the box it will say 1.0 or 1.1, just posting for other users before they remove their earpads to find out.

Is this fr graph legit? That bass is completely linear!

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,005 of 4,813
Cool new ether, but I want to hear about this new headband

Sounds awesome! I absolutely want to hear more about this new improved headband too... Doesn't look too different from the existing one on Ether and Ether C though... Shown below for those of you who cannot be bothered to scrub through the vid. (UPDATE: I just heard Jude's vid again - I think he says, "uses a modified and proven headband assembly" i.e. old headband but modded for the Ether Electrostatic?)

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,006 of 4,813

For classical music this bass information is not wanted or mission critical. Usually classical fans want to hear the crispness of the treble notes on acoustic instruments, and Ether C will give that to them better than 99% of the headphones out there. 

I sort of disagree. I love the cello and having good bass really brings it out. That said, I also sort of agree. For powerful, thumping bass I reach for my TH600. For just about anything else, my T1 or Ether C. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,007 of 4,813
Last month I loaned a friend my Ether C to record his bass in the studio. Imagine my shock when he called me a few hours later and complained about my Ether Cs "clicking". So I angrily go to his studio and I'm ready to clock him for breaking my headphones. He let me listen on his HD25s 1st and no clicking. No clicking on the Adam monitors either. Put on the Ether Cs and sure enough, clicking. 

Then I noticed something. 

The "clicking" was actually the sound of the guitar pick hitting the strings. 

Could *barely* hear it on the monitors if you concentrated and couldn't hear it at all on the HD 25s. 

I still took my headphones back though. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,008 of 4,813

I sort of disagree. I love the cello and having good bass really brings it out. That said, I also sort of agree. For powerful, thumping bass I reach for my TH600. For just about anything else, my T1 or Ether C. 

Yeah, I have TH600 and prefer it to the TH900, which is a bit too extreme for me. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,010 of 4,813
  I currently use Ether C with a portable DAP.  All this talk about liquid crimson got me hyped about shelling out the cash for an amp.  What would be a good DAC quality wise for crimson?

A few of us use the Audio-GD DAC-19, which a multibit/R2R DAC similar to something like the GMB or Yggy.  To me it's a great value for the price.  I also think its slightly warmer sound signature complements the Ether C very well.  Other folks are using the aforementioned Schiit Gungnir Multibit or Yggdrassil, which are great DACs in their own right.  I believe Dan uses his with an Auralic Vega.  I'm sure something like the Chord 2Qute would suit it well too.

Whatever you use, know that the Crimson and Ether C are very resolving so you want a DAC that isn't going to bottleneck your other gear.  

Oh and keep in mind that the Crimson is single ended.  Not only does that mean you can look into more gear with confidence, but you should also know that some (including myself) have reported that the GMB sounds worse from its SE ports than its balanced ports (as it's designed to be run in balanced mode).  When doing your research, be sure to check into how the DAC does SE.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #3,011 of 4,813

Whatever you use, know that the Crimson and Ether C are very resolving so you want a DAC that isn't going to bottleneck your other gear.  

Yes that was part of the reason I was asking.  Thanks for the tips :)

I am curious if it's possible to also use floorstanding speakers or stereo monitors with the same dac/amp setup or would it mean 5-6 grand out the door just for the headphones only.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3,012 of 4,813
There are soon many options for what you want, and this is probably not the right thread to discuss that. I highly recommend you post your requirements in the Help forum/thread.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #3,014 of 4,813
Yeah probably.  Back on track, all of the new shipments have been with 1.1 pads right?

Yes, and it isn't new pads. It's a foam replacement for one white 'felt' (it isn't really felt) at the driver, under the pad.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #3,015 of 4,813

Yeah probably.  Back on track, all of the new shipments have been with 1.1 pads right?

Yes, and it isn't new pads. It's a foam replacement for one white 'felt' (it isn't really felt) at the driver, under the pad.

Since we are being pedantic, MrSpeakers does refer to the "white felt pad." While they do not explicitly refer to the foam as a pad, since they refer to a white felt pad, it's not a stretch to think of the foam as the "gray foam pad" 

I know, I know, we don't want to confuse the foam upgrade pads and the white felt under pad and the white felt tuning pad and the black tuning pad and the ear pad.

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back