MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Dec 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #527 of 937
I hope you have stock at CamJam NY. I plan to buy one, assuming it sounds as good as the prototype I heard.

Hope we don't disappoint! No promise at the show though, it's tight.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 20, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #528 of 937
5 years ago, who would have guessed that the most exciting electrostatic announcement of 2017 would come from mrspeakers? This is in a year when the t8000 was announced!

What a journey and congratulations on the achievement. I will be watching this one closely.

Any final news to share in terms of efficiency? As we need to be shopping for third party amplifiers, it would be good to know the power requirements. Is this more like 009 or 007 in terms of efficiency?

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #529 of 937
A non-STAX electrostatic headphone should pique the interest of many. Not keen to drop 3k USD on anything like this right now, but I will be monitoring listeners' impressions and experiences very attentively in the coming months.

To my knowledge the higher-end STAX offerings typically feature sub-2um diaphragm thickness, so I'm particularly curious as to what sonic consequences the thicker driver will have. Very interesting stuff.

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #530 of 937
The HE-1 is also 2.4 micron. We found below this thickness was less stable and didn’t seem to improve the Sonics, at l ast in our design. We tested 1.5 and 0.8. The diaphragm is lighter than the air it moves as is... :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #531 of 937
A non-STAX electrostatic headphone should pique the interest of many. Not keen to drop 3k USD on anything like this right now, but I will be monitoring listeners' impressions and experiences very attentively in the coming months.

To my knowledge the higher-end STAX offerings typically feature sub-2um diaphragm thickness, so I'm particularly curious as to what sonic consequences the thicker driver will have. Very interesting stuff.
Really excited for when we get in our VOCE demo to hear side to side with our SR-009 :smile_phones:

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #532 of 937
The HE-1 is also 2.4 micron. We found below this thickness was less stable and didn’t seem to improve the Sonics, at l ast in our design. We tested 1.5 and 0.8. The diaphragm is lighter than the air it moves as is... :)

If possible, can you tell us what materials and coatings you use for the diaphragm?

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #533 of 937
Can't wait to hear these! I would highly suggest at some point offering them with the style of case you normally provide. I know for me and suspect for others that would be far more useful. I assume this is why other companies stopped shipping with display boxes.

Is mrspeakers going to offer the stock cable in multiple lengths?

Also the description of the dust cover indicates its not a complete barrier?

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #534 of 937
@mrspeakers -- Quick question about amp: It won't work with the amp of my Shure KSE1500 Electrostatic System, right? I know you chose a different plug, but I remember you saying that you would make adapters available, for people who already own electrostatic system.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #535 of 937
@mrspeakers -- Quick question about amp: It won't work with the amp of my Shure KSE1500 Electrostatic System, right? I know you chose a different plug, but I remember you saying that you would make adapters available, for people who already own electrostatic system.
The KSE1500 is unique, as the headphone and amp will only work with each other. The VOCE will not be compatible with the KSE1500 amp.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #536 of 937
I think the "Adapter" he (Dan) was talking about is from when he was going to make a custom (meaning non-stax) connector. He was going to make an adapter so we could still use our existing amps. At least this is what I remember from the earlier discussions.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #539 of 937
Dang, just when I was content with my gear, the announcement is finally made.

Having had the unfortunate pleasure of visiting Japan and spending some time with some 007's and 9's, I crave that sound that only an e-stat can provide.

I'm already a fan of Dan's tuning, and if these are anything close to a Stax 007, the only hope I now have to my pocket book is in regards to the amp affordability vs sound paradigm.

Hopefully I can push the e-stat itch off for awhile more.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #540 of 937
In response to the earlier question the coating is chemical, based on a time tested formulation. We’ve stress tested it with continuous 1000v swings, it’s robust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back