MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #211 of 937

Yup I can confirm that these are extremely power hungry, and that they leak alot of sound, similarly to most Stax headphones.

I only own the SR-007 Mk2's and the SR-003's.  The 007's leak since they're open back, just like my other open backs, but the Mr. Speakers where altogether different.  Like a wide open projector.  Has that changed?  If they leak only like the Stax then they've improved A LOT since I tested them.

HS

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #212 of 937
I don't think the seal is a priority for electrostatics. I think their goal is to get the best sound they can from headphones, the assumption being that you're doing some serious, focused listening on your own, not hanging out while your spouse sleeps next to you or watches TV, or at the workplace. There are many other options for those who want more closed/sealed headphones.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #213 of 937
I only own the SR-007 Mk2's and the SR-003's.  The 007's leak since they're open back, just like my other open backs, but the Mr. Speakers where altogether different.  Like a wide open projector.  Has that changed?  If they leak only like the Stax then they've improved A LOT since I tested them.

HS

They are about as leaky as you can get. The bigger the driver and more open the design the more they leak. This is an 88mm driver.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #215 of 937
When you are releasing it tho? What is the price?

As soon as we can with high quality and reliability.  These things are not easy to make and we're being as meticulous as we can be.  Price will be <<$3,000 USD.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #216 of 937
Headphone.guru just published their impressions from the Source AV electrostatic event, and had this to say:

"The combination of the MrSpeakers ETHER E Electrostatic Headphone, the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier and the Chord DAVE FPGA DAC ($15,500) were without question my favorite sound of the event."

http://headphone.guru/electrostatic-extravaganza-source-av-design-group/

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #217 of 937
Nice! He basically said he preferred them over the Shangri-La and Orpheus! Though with only 15 minute audition time. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #219 of 937
  I don't think the seal is a priority for electrostatics. I think their goal is to get the best sound they can from headphones, the assumption being that you're doing some serious, focused listening on your own, not hanging out while your spouse sleeps next to you or watches TV, or at the workplace. There are many other options for those who want more closed/sealed headphones.

Interesting.  We all have our limitations and if it were best sound and no costs I think many would vote speakers.  

Further, there's a middle ground.  My point being there is no middle here.  I think potential buyers should have line of sight to this and if it's a non-issue then great.  But if it is, as it is for many of us, then it should go into the equation of purchase / no purchase.

Personally, I'm grateful that the company so kindly supplies them to meets so that we can experience them.

HS

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #220 of 937

Interesting.  We all have our limitations and if it were best sound and no costs I think many would vote speakers.  

Further, there's a middle ground.  My point being there is no middle here.  I think potential buyers should have line of sight to this and if it's a non-issue then great.  But if it is, as it is for many of us, then it should go into the equation of purchase / no purchase.

Personally, I'm grateful that the company so kindly supplies them to meets so that we can experience them.

HS

You're not making much sense. Sound leakage should NOT go into the equation of considering an open electrostatic. They all leak, and they wouldn't sound as good as they do if they didn't. Your middle ground would be, I suppose, semi-open headphones that use other technologies. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #221 of 937

You're not making much sense. Sound leakage should NOT go into the equation of considering an open electrostatic. They all leak, and they wouldn't sound as good as they do if they didn't. Your middle ground would be, I suppose, semi-open headphones that use other technologies. 

You're making the leap that because a headphone is open back is leaks as much as the next.  That is absolutely not the case with the headphones I have owned and own today.  Period.

Have you listened to these and been next to someone that has?

HS

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #222 of 937
I'm only talking about electrostatics. I've heard Stax and Orpheus (a local dealer had them just one day for an event), and heard them as others listened. They leak like crazy, hence my original statement that I don't believe addressing leakage was a priority in these designs. At all.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #223 of 937
You're making the leap that because a headphone is open back is leaks as much as the next.  That is absolutely not the case with the headphones I have owned and own today.  Period.

Have you listened to these and been next to someone that has?

HS
t

Good point. Ours 'stats leak like crazy. By design. Our open ETHER are way less leaky, by design. Open just means not closed but there are many ways to be open...

We are going to consider only demoing the headphone in quiet rooms, we'll do so at Axpona, for example. One of my favorite aspects of this headphone is the soundstage, something that's out of the blue to rated by the noise of large events.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #224 of 937
t

Good point. Ours 'stats leak like crazy. By design. Our open ETHER are way less leaky, by design. Open just means not closed but there are many ways to be open...

We are going to consider only demoing the headphone in quiet rooms, we'll do so at Axpona, for example. One of my favorite aspects of this headphone is the soundstage, something that's out of the blue to rated by the noise of large events.

I will also recommend that the headphone be demoed plugged into the amp solo. At canjam singapore, the prototype was plugged into the Blue Hawaii together with a Stax, and I had to listen to the former at a low volume because the Stax was playing at a much louder volume.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #225 of 937

HS

I have listened to many high end speakers in functions, certainly i think headphones offer better a sound quality, speakers only have the advantage in soundstage and they also disturb the neighbours.But i certainly hope that
The 88mm driver delivers a great soundstage because as you said Ether Electrostatic leaks sound a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back