Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #196 of 404
FYI, I just finished using Voce to listen to the new RTJ4 album at ear-damage SPL and anyone who thinks these electrostats won't do low bass while still delivering everything else in perfect balance simply has not listened to them. :) /soapbox

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #198 of 404
Where's the best... And cheapest place to pick up a paid of voce? Any any dealers offering a headfi discount? Just picked up a t2 recently.. pocketbook isn't fully recovered hah.

They are 15% off right now on our store or through our resellers.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 15, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #199 of 404
Voce incoming. Too much stuff in my electrostat setup now
007mk1, 009, kaldas rr1, eslabs es1a, mjolnir kgsshv, headinclouds kgsshv carbon, kerry t2. No idea why i need so much stuff around hah.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #200 of 404
[/QUOTE]
Voce incoming. Too much stuff in my electrostat setup now
007mk1, 009, kaldas rr1, eslabs es1a, mjolnir kgsshv, headinclouds kgsshv carbon, kerry t2. No idea why i need so much stuff around hah.

Must have quite the equipment rack in the house!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #201 of 404
20200611_165959~01.jpg

Not the most ideal setup. Mostly in boxes looking forward to the voce!

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #202 of 404
Not the greatest experience, I bought a open box like new set from a reseller.. Sold as final sale, a bit less then new price.
Headphones have a audible crackle on both sides at different times. and in very close intervals. whether or not music is playing

They shipped headphones inside the display case with 0 protective wrapping. all the bubble wrap that they should have put on.. was under and outside of the display case..
waiting to hear back now.. If not for these issues, i think we have a winner.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #203 of 404
From the BHSE and the Dave DAC. Don't underestimate the DAC here. The Dave is fabulous. Impression both after 20 or 40 seconds and hours, numerous sessions.
The larger driver comes off as, sounds natural. The 009 and 009S are quite a bit (as in dramatically) more detailed. I didn't think Voce and 009 would differ quite that much. I much prefer the 009s diaphragm and tension especially, but I like the 009 electrode itself without the etching around each hole most. The 009 has the most tone of the three.

It's honestly tough to compete with the r&d at Stax, referring to what had better be a great next headphone..

Many and smaller holes would be better at the electrode itself for a more even drive/transmission field. .35mm or .4mm a piece. Dan should chemically mill the electrodes. The ratio of diaphragm to stator distance:to hole size should become greater than 1 in a full size headphone.

I do admire MrSpeakers efforts and like the build quality. I think they are a bit expensive for what the sound (detail - especially) is like and probably liked the Utopia better. [The audeze lcd 4 and he1000 and HD800 were close behind the Utopia as well]
The larger driver is a neat/refreshing feature in and of (by) itself.
I think a much better headphone can/could easily be done though. I also think people should at least have both a 009 and Voce to make any judgement.

At first I liked the Voce more (on initial listen the larger driver impresses), but after time listening it was clear it is not pulling weight in the detail-department compared to the 009S especially.
At first I thought 009s was simply slightly bass light compared to 009, moreover though with more listening time, as in 10 or 20 minutes i was convinced the 009s pulls/produces more fundamental detail than the 009.

It is tough to say which is more accurate between 009s/009 of the two without a live performer or instruments for reference.
The tension on the 009s, 009 diaphragm is interesting if trivial where their 1st and 2nd order resonances are.

I'm going to hazard a guess when there is eventually a Voce successor it might be an improvement in the adhesively attached stator plate, with many, much smaller holes for better transmission coupling between the diaphragm (transducing material) and electrode around each hole. Electrostatic forces are weak with the square of the distance.

I'm going to say again that I think people (Reviewers) should at least have BOTH a 009 and Voce to make any judgement. And should listen back and forth for 15 or 20 minutes before they write too/very much.

The very irritating thing about the 007 and 009 is that they are all about detail. That's not where the prize can be found - balance is the answer: dynamics? soundstage? depth? timbre? tone? volume handling? I find the Voce closer to real concerts in fine venues such as BSO, Carnegie, Great Festival Hall in Salzburg, and Mechanics Hall to name a few. People raised on electronically produced music almost always think that there should be an artificial shimmer and raised volume in the treble and find the Voce lacking - I find the 007 and 009 to be artificially colored in the area, and lacking body in the bass.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #204 of 404
The very irritating thing about the 007 and 009 is that they are all about detail. That's not where the prize can be found - balance is the answer: dynamics? soundstage? depth? timbre? tone? volume handling? I find the Voce closer to real concerts in fine venues such as BSO, Carnegie, Great Festival Hall in Salzburg, and Mechanics Hall to name a few. People raised on electronically produced music almost always think that there should be an artificial shimmer and raised volume in the treble and find the Voce lacking - I find the 007 and 009 to be artificially colored in the area, and lacking body in the bass.

Yeah, I undesrstand why people appreciate the sense of detail in some stats but it comes at the cost of tonal accuracy, at least as I hear it, which just never sounded lifelike to me, so we tried to strike a different balance...

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #205 of 404
You did great Dan. The best way I describe the sound with bhse, tt2 and mscaler with great tubes is body, grace and elegance. Did I mention the bass? Sorry for lack of audiophile terms, but this is my end game and I mean it this time.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #206 of 404
By any chance has anyone run the Voce with a Stax amp? I'm interested in the 353X, 007*, 006* models, and any others like King Sound in the sub $1k area used - pro or con. In order to get the Voce I'm going to have to scaffold the amp for 12-18 months before I can afford one of the big guys.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #207 of 404
You did great Dan. The best way I describe the sound with bhse, tt2 and mscaler with great tubes is body, grace and elegance. Did I mention the bass? Sorry for lack of audiophile terms, but this is my end game and I mean it this time.

My TT2 and mscalar arrive today, actually, really looking forward to hooking it up tonight!

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #208 of 404
I notice some dealers out of stock, low stock, and low prices on the Voce. I don't want to start a bogus rumor, does anyone have insight? Thanks.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #209 of 404
Very few of our dealers who carry VOCE carry more than 1 unit of stock... There are a few. There's no insight to be had from this. The product is in production and will be part of our lineup for quite a while.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #210 of 404

bagwell359’s comment touches on the original basis for appraising quality audio reproduction; live acoustic music. Electronically created music is a newer art-form and lovers of that might value different aspects of sound reproduction. It seems widely accepted on head-fi that different headphones give better results on different types of music. Personally, I love rock and blues, orchestral, piano, jazz, big band, opera etc. and have been to a good many live events. The reproduction of these has to sound convincing. For me the Voce on a good system yields very convincing sounds. The power, weight and sparkle are well balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back