Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Jan 12, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #168 of 404
Looking for an amp to pair with Voce, BHSE or Z10e? Any comments would be appreciated.
I was listening to the Voce day before yesterday with the Z10e and the sound was excellent. I let the Z10e warm up for at least 1/2 hour. Such wonderful depth and width, with separation. Very, very enjoyable.And they you also have the excellent section for driving all the other headphones. Can use the HE-6 original, and it drives them with ease.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #169 of 404
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #170 of 404
I was very excited to take delivery of an LTA Z10e a few months back and it is time I said a bit about it. As a builder of lots of amplifiers it is rare for me to buy a commercially built one but the Z10e is unique. Dan first mentioned the LTA Z10e to me and it happened to coincide with my wanting to reduce the amount of heat producing equipment in my listening den. If I only had the Voce ES, my build of KG’s Blue Hawaii with all the trimmings would be all I need. On good recordings particularly it can produce spectacularly realistic music. However I also have dynamic phones and speakers to drive. The den is quite a small room and last summer we had a run of hot weather in England (!). With the KT150 SET and the Blue Hawaii on it was better to be outside.

I was looking for a smaller, cooler amplifier that could do all these jobs. The LTA Z10e could and after helpful discussions with Mark Schneider of LTA I was in possession of my own by late September.

The short verdict is that the Z10e has been a great success at achieving the objectives. It is small, cool running and a delight to use. It drives the Voce very well indeed and is equally successful with the dynamic headphones. The great joy is that the music through the speakers is a revelation.

The music is bright and clean, with lovely extended high frequencies, wide frequency range and beautiful tonality. Bass is articulate with very good control over the speakers. The background noise is non-existent.

I find it very convenient too that the single box running warm but not producing a lot of heat can do all these jobs, switching from speakers to phones by a flick of the switch.

I’d say the LTA Z10e is a truly excellent product in terms of its very clever electronic design, its performance and value for money, considering it is a three in one amplifier of lovely sound quality.

I have also posted more here;
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hav...be-audio-z10e-amplifier.905705/#post-15414228

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #171 of 404
Ok Dan I just bought a matched quad Siemens (Mullard) EL34 - Quad(s) of XF2(OO) NOS Tubes for Sale. Hard on the wallet, but hopefully well worth it. I wanted to add I have gone the route you had in the show. Laptop > Audirvana > M-Scaler > TT2 > Voce w/ stock tubes. I have to say I miss the holographic sound my LCD 3 planers give me with the M-Scaler and TT2 and Cardas cables. Maybe the new tubes will help.

Lastly given my long time experience with speaker setups, I miss when we talk more about "air" and "sparkle". I'm wondering if "sparkle" even exist in headphone rigs? Who knows maybe it's something I am missing.

Hm, not sure how much more holographic you can get than your rig, but YMMV as you know... Ear/headphone interactions are complex at best which is part of why its very hard to get people to agree on how something sounds. I hope the tubes get you what you're looking for, I found them to be a solid upgrade that voiced just as I liked it, quite different from the stock.

One thing to consider is upgrading the source from "laptop." I used to think my MacBook was a good solution, until I heard a proper server as the front end. I now use a custom Mojo Audio unit with linear power supplies and a Femto clock on the USB output, using RAM resident Linux. The SQ is instantly and obviously better than my Mac ever was, which was a total surprise, since this goes against everything they taught us about digital in engineering. Oh yeah, and Roon as the server software. Noticeably smoother, more dynamic, and warmer tone than the mac running Roon. A cheap DIY server solution is an Intel NUC with an external linear power supply running the ROON ROCK system. And ROON's flexibility and ease of use is unbeatable...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #172 of 404

What a beauty! How does it sound?

I was very excited to take delivery of an LTA Z10e a few months back and it is time I said a bit about it. As a builder of lots of amplifiers it is rare for me to buy a commercially built one but the Z10e is unique. Dan first mentioned the LTA Z10e to me and it happened to coincide with my wanting to reduce the amount of heat producing equipment in my listening den. If I only had the Voce ES, my build of KG’s Blue Hawaii with all the trimmings would be all I need. On good recordings particularly it can produce spectacularly realistic music. However I also have dynamic phones and speakers to drive. The den is quite a small room and last summer we had a run of hot weather in England (!). With the KT150 SET and the Blue Hawaii on it was better to be outside.

I was looking for a smaller, cooler amplifier that could do all these jobs. The LTA Z10e could and after helpful discussions with Mark Schneider of LTA I was in possession of my own by late September.

The short verdict is that the Z10e has been a great success at achieving the objectives. It is small, cool running and a delight to use. It drives the Voce very well indeed and is equally successful with the dynamic headphones. The great joy is that the music through the speakers is a revelation.

The music is bright and clean, with lovely extended high frequencies, wide frequency range and beautiful tonality. Bass is articulate with very good control over the speakers. The background noise is non-existent.

I find it very convenient too that the single box running warm but not producing a lot of heat can do all these jobs, switching from speakers to phones by a flick of the switch.

I’d say the LTA Z10e is a truly excellent product in terms of its very clever electronic design, its performance and value for money, considering it is a three in one amplifier of lovely sound quality.

I have also posted more here;
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hav...be-audio-z10e-amplifier.905705/#post-15414228

Glad you're liking it, I really think they killed it with this. I usually don't like "all in one" approaches but they proved the exception...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #173 of 404
What a beauty! How does it sound?
Solaris is a very interesting amp. It sounds like my Shido stereo amp: warm without being muddy, super lively with dynamics to rival any amp, and a completely silent background. I love the fact that it is universal, capable of driving electrostatics, dynamic headphones, and loudspeakers. Plus it's beautiful. It makes my Ether C sound wonderful - better than my Woo WA22 and far more flexible. I bought it over the BHSE because of this universality (able to drive anything) and actually because i thought it sounded better, although I have not compared side by side with the same headphones.

I intend to order Voce soon, just need the bank account to recover from the holidays. :)

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #174 of 404
Solaris is a very interesting amp. It sounds like my Shido stereo amp: warm without being muddy, super lively with dynamics to rival any amp, and a completely silent background. I love the fact that it is universal, capable of driving electrostatics, dynamic headphones, and loudspeakers. Plus it's beautiful. It makes my Ether C sound wonderful - better than my Woo WA22 and far more flexible. I bought it over the BHSE because of this universality (able to drive anything) and actually because i thought it sounded better, although I have not compared side by side with the same headphones.

I intend to order Voce soon, just need the bank account to recover from the holidays. :)

Cool, neat to know of another solution that's "universal." The Z10e sure killed it and so it's neat to see choices in the same price range, too. I have a Woo 5 v2, I really love that amp with the 300Bs, insane soundstage and clarity.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #175 of 404
My Voce just arrived, and MAN are they sweet with the Solaris amp. Beautiful, right out of the box. Nice work.

Mine arrived without the walnut case supplied with the originals and I must say I am glad about that. I would not have been able to use it, and the molded leather MrSpeakers Ether-style case will be much more useful if I ever transport these. I am listinging to Van Morrison and digging it. :)

IMG_1057.jpg

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #176 of 404
Alas, we won't be shipping the wood case any more. It was just too fragile and we had too many problems...

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #178 of 404
By the way, anyone who says Voce lacks bass response has their head screwed on backwards.

Has anyone said they lack bass? Yipes! All I can say is "it takes all kinds..." Maybe that was on a bad energizer?

These are dead flat to about 5Hz. If you want boosted booming bass they won't deliver, but if you want accurate bass that reaches deeper into the subsonic they're quite remarkable. I actually enjoy them for electronica, which is saying something.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #180 of 404
In the "for what it's worth" category, I find I am enjoying Voce the most with the white filters. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back