Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Jun 7, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #121 of 404
I've been listening to the Voce and actively comparing them with my 009 and Utopia for 2 days now, here are some of my random thoughts.

Previously I've tried the Voce on different shows a few times, mostly with BHSE on the same table with BHSE/009 combo, and honestly I didn't like them too much. BHSE to me has always been a strong and muscular sounding amp, and Voce itself is kind of a less "e-stat" sounding e-stat, so the combo almost completely removed the ethereal and "image and sound floating in the air instead of hitting you in the face" type of presentation I expected for an e-stat, and they rather sound like a planar, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Now I have them hooked up with my KGSSHV Carbon, it's a really pleasant surprised that they sound very different from what I remembered, and I liked them a lot. For reference, my setup at home is PC->YGGY A2->GSX MK2 for Utopia and PC->YGGY A2-> GSX MK2->Carbon for Voce/009. I used GSX as a preamp for Carbon so I don't have to switch the source the Yggy send to. I've been used the default setting of Voce(no filters, using original pads instead of ether pads).

For a brief impression, I think Voce and the Utopia are at very similar level of technicality, and the 009 is at a higher level (not by too much, but still quite evident). I've read some reviews/impressions that stated they had problems with the resolution and clarity of the Voce, especially comparing to the other estats at similar price (009/ ShangriLa Jr etc), and I haven't found myself craving for clarity at all. I've A/Bed it with Utopia for quite a while and I think they are pretty close on resolution and speed, which is plenty enough for me. The Utopias might sounds a tad richer, but the difference really is small enough for me to not care, comparing to the other differences they have. I've also read that the Voce could be a little dark on the treble, I personally felt the treble is on similar brightness comparing to Utopias on it's default setting.

As for the comparison of the 3, I think they are all fantastic headphones and I'll be more than happy if I had to stick with any one of them. The 009 has the greatest clarity for sure, transparency and details are unbelievable, and has the most estats ethereal presentation I've heard, it's the most surreal headphone experience to me. The Utopias has the strongest dynamics of the bunch, when listening to albums like "Since I left you", it has the strongest punch while the other two leans on the polite side. The Voce comparing to the other 2, are more mid-centric and I felt delivered the most emotions through vocals. It also had the biggest soundstage and a little more sub-bass rumble than the other 2. (Could be due to Carbon's amazing bass performance)

In general, I'm very satisfied with the Voce and it totally exceeded my expectation. From some of the reviews I imagined it to be a flat (translated to boring and un-emotional) and relatively low resolved pair but it's far from that. In fact, I'd say I might be among the relatively rare kind that actually prefer the Voce to 009 for my music taste(mostly pop, some indie, psychedelic etc). (Many people when comparing the two sound ambiguous, stating the 009 being technically stronger but actual preference might be subject to personal taste.)

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #122 of 404
I've been listening to the Voce and actively comparing them with my 009 and Utopia for 2 days now, here are some of my random thoughts.

Previously I've tried the Voce on different shows a few times, mostly with BHSE on the same table with BHSE/009 combo, and honestly I didn't like them too much. BHSE to me has always been a strong and muscular sounding amp, and Voce itself is kind of a less "e-stat" sounding e-stat, so the combo almost completely removed the ethereal and "image and sound floating in the air instead of hitting you in the face" type of presentation I expected for an e-stat, and they rather sound like a planar, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Now I have them hooked up with my KGSSHV Carbon, it's a really pleasant surprised that they sound very different from what I remembered, and I liked them a lot. For reference, my setup at home is PC->YGGY A2->GSX MK2 for Utopia and PC->YGGY A2-> GSX MK2->Carbon for Voce/009. I used GSX as a preamp for Carbon so I don't have to switch the source the Yggy send to. I've been used the default setting of Voce(no filters, using original pads instead of ether pads).

For a brief impression, I think Voce and the Utopia are at very similar level of technicality, and the 009 is at a higher level (not by too much, but still quite evident). I've read some reviews/impressions that stated they had problems with the resolution and clarity of the Voce, especially comparing to the other estats at similar price (009/ ShangriLa Jr etc), and I haven't found myself craving for clarity at all. I've A/Bed it with Utopia for quite a while and I think they are pretty close on resolution and speed, which is plenty enough for me. The Utopias might sounds a tad richer, but the difference really is small enough for me to not care, comparing to the other differences they have. I've also read that the Voce could be a little dark on the treble, I personally felt the treble is on similar brightness comparing to Utopias on it's default setting.

As for the comparison of the 3, I think they are all fantastic headphones and I'll be more than happy if I had to stick with any one of them. The 009 has the greatest clarity for sure, transparency and details are unbelievable, and has the most estats ethereal presentation I've heard, it's the most surreal headphone experience to me. The Utopias has the strongest dynamics of the bunch, when listening to albums like "Since I left you", it has the strongest punch while the other two leans on the polite side. The Voce comparing to the other 2, are more mid-centric and I felt delivered the most emotions through vocals. It also had the biggest soundstage and a little more sub-bass rumble than the other 2. (Could be due to Carbon's amazing bass performance)

In general, I'm very satisfied with the Voce and it totally exceeded my expectation. From some of the reviews I imagined it to be a flat (translated to boring and un-emotional) and relatively low resolved pair but it's far from that. In fact, I'd say I might be among the relatively rare kind that actually prefer the Voce to 009 for my music taste(mostly pop, some indie, psychedelic etc). (Many people when comparing the two sound ambiguous, stating the 009 being technically stronger but actual preference might be subject to personal taste.)
What artist for the "Since I left you"? I found 5 or 6 different artists....:floatsmile:

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #124 of 404
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #125 of 404
I have been listening with the Voce and the new to come out, Linear Tube Audio, Z10e (brand new and current model). The Z10e uses EL84 tubes in the power section with 12AU7 and 12AT7 or the excellent 7062.

The sound of the Voce, with well recorded music, for me, get to the heart of what sound can be. I listen to a lot of live music. Hearing timbre that truly represents the sound, making it identifiable as to source, isn't always easy and is often glossed over. Either things are hyper presented, as Dan notes in his HiFi definition, or the individual sounds that make up the whole, are not discernible and grounded in reality. That is one reason, among many others, I enjoy the natural sounds from the sources, as a gauge, rather than listening to a lot of recorded music and making up my mind from that. My wife plays flute, I used to play sax and violin and currently play harmonica so the enjoyment of the "sound', is what I am always after.

The Voce, I am finding, is able to reach this pinnacle. The layering, imaging, when it is there, air that carries the notes, timbre, and breath of life are there. I have to say that the finalized Z10e goes a long ways in giving the Voce what they need and both are world class. One thing that does stick out, as I normally prefer live performances that are well recorded, for their acoustical properties, is the combination here, is able to make studio recording so much more enjoyable. There is a drive and momentum to the beat that gets you there, both on well recorded live and studio recording, rather than "wishing" you were there.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #126 of 404
I've liked everything from MrSpeakers since the Mad Dog and Voce is next on my wish list. Unless there is a Voce 2 planned for next year?

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #127 of 404
A really great and very detaield review from 6Moons here; https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/headamp/

6moons always takes the reader on an arcane junket full of obscure references in their reviews, this piece is no different. I lean towards the Voce description given which agreed with my all too short demo for what I'd like to live with - but, I'd really like to hear those Raal's (since I own or have owned speakers with ribbons since 1980) on a Pass (owned a bunch of those too).

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #128 of 404
6moons always takes the reader on an arcane junket full of obscure references in their reviews, this piece is no different. I lean towards the Voce description given which agreed with my all too short demo for what I'd like to live with - but, I'd really like to hear those Raal's (since I own or have owned speakers with ribbons since 1980) on a Pass (owned a bunch of those too).

Personally I find his reviews fun, I like the fact I sometimes have to think it through but when I do his analogies are often worth the effort to parse...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #129 of 404
Personally I find his reviews fun, I like the fact I sometimes have to think it through but when I do his analogies are often worth the effort to parse...

I never meant to imply I didn't enjoy the writing, just tried to characterize it for those that hadn't experienced it yet. It's very good stuff.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #130 of 404
I noticed recently that Audio Advisor is now selling the Voce at list. They are also selling the Woo GES, and have them on the same page with separate prices and a combo price. I have read some grumbling over the years that claim the GES is a long term danger for the headphones used on it.

Does Mr.Speaker endorse the use of the Voce with the GES? I hope so, because I can't afford some of the luxury amps in this space.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #131 of 404
I went to CanJam London and listened to the VOCE. It was really loud in there but could hear at least it had more bass that I anticipated. Will need to figure out how to get a quality audition since I have neither a dealer or an energizer. I'm told WEE won't work out of Chord TT2.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #132 of 404
I noticed recently that Audio Advisor is now selling the Voce at list. They are also selling the Woo GES, and have them on the same page with separate prices and a combo price. I have read some grumbling over the years that claim the GES is a long term danger for the headphones used on it.

Does Mr.Speaker endorse the use of the Voce with the GES? I hope so, because I can't afford some of the luxury amps in this space.

We haven't got one in house and have never done a technical evaluation. That said, I don't know how an electrostatic amp can endanger headphones. The only danger to a stat is that you overdrive it and cause arcing that could over time degrade the charge carrier. Any of the more powerful amps that swing higher voltages, like the BHSE, can do that. When you hear arcing its obvious, so turn it down. :)

I went to CanJam London and listened to the VOCE. It was really loud in there but could hear at least it had more bass that I anticipated. Will need to figure out how to get a quality audition since I have neither a dealer or an energizer. I'm told WEE won't work out of Chord TT2.

No idea but the TT2 is supposed to be powerful enough to drive loudspeakers so I'm not clear why that would be the case?

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #133 of 404
Thanks, I thought it was strange myself, but this rumor has been around. I once walked in on someone that hooked a Quad ESL 57 to a Krell KSA-100 and cranked it.... that was awful.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #134 of 404
@mrspeakers I am sorry to ask on a forum but I have to. I am about to make the Voce investment but need to know if there is a Ver. 2 planned any time soon?

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #135 of 404
@mrspeakers I am sorry to ask on a forum but I have to. I am about to make the Voce investment but need to know if there is a Ver. 2 planned any time soon?

Hi! We don't answer questions about product futures. There are two reasons; first is announcing something you don't have that replaces what you do have is the best way to go out of business I know. Second, even if nothing is pending, answering that question means that if we don't answer for another product, the answer is likely yes. So to be consistent in our approach to the market, we never discuss future products unless it's a new category that doesn't affect current products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back