MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000
Aug 3, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #16 of 50
Cool I'll have to try this player out!

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #17 of 50
it's in a state of flux at the moment, if you read the read me file and use mqncontrol win8 from the archive directory and the mqnplay.exe memcpy final from the mqn directory.

Let me know if there are any issues.

Have just had someone with a high end system (ws 2012 multi linear supplies etc) say that it is better than jplay standalone, that was using a previous version so not as good as mqnplay.exe memcpy final

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 50
I ran one of your earlier versions with windows server std with Gui, now i thought that was pretty good particularly with speed and resolution
i have two issues maybe you can help me out with

1: it seems to only play some of my wav files, so i have to search through my files to find something it will play (mostly issues with hires)
2: i cant seem to get this to play with core server which i think will give it a great sonic lift (as difference between win 8 and WS with Gui is    quite big) i think its a waspi thing. What OS are you using BTW?

these two things are spoiling my appetite for testing mQN player

i think your work is commendable, i think this player has potential

but if were to be restricted to wav files (i know why youve done this)
we need to be able to play them all,
and we need to play on core server to be at the races

nige

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #19 of 50
Hi Nige,

Thanks for your feedback, I think it has moved on quite a bit since the version you tried, haven't posted the latest version, but have been passing them to someone I think you know and he appreciates the improvements, have been optimising memcpy which has made a big difference, can't believe I am comparing the sonic differences between assembly instructions. There is a wasapi_test program in the testing folder on the rapidshare site which you can download to see which are valid formats for your device, MQn plays 24 bit hirez in 32 bit packed containers so that may be the issue.

Core doesn't have WASAPI capability, until that is cracked it won't be possible.

am using ws2012 gui

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #20 of 50
I think a bit of work on the operating system side of things should be next on the agenda
cutting down a few processes and get it working on core

So it will play hires as long as its a 32 bit container is that right?

ill try the latest on ws gui
and report back

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #21 of 50
if audiophil can't get it working on core , then I don't fancy my chances.

Have split the affinities since the version you tried, so that mqnplay.exe is on core 1 and everything else is on core 0, that's made quite a difference - you need to download the latest mqncontrol.exe

I'd like to leave optimising services etc to the individual, there is plenty of advice and scripts available on how to do it

I have made MQn versions that play 16 in 32 bit and 24 in 24 bit, but they are not maintained at the moment. Was one of the issues with your hirez due to it being 16/96 ? MQn only plays 16 bit up to 48KHz as it was expected hirez would be 24 bit.

MQn really started out as an experiment to see what the effect of stripping all the unnecessary code and functionality would have on the SQ and I have just continued to develop it as I find new things that affect the sound, the latest being writing my own memcpy routine in assembler to use the 16 x 128 bit registers and prefetch functionality of SSE2. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 50
that link doesnt work for me

on the other hand whatever version im after trying is much much better than jplay in single mode, core server and scripted
i didnt get trying it against streaming jplay but i recon its in trouble
for clarity, resolution, dynamics and acuracy
another thing is i tried several hires tracks none of them would play for me
would it be dac drivers

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 50
what dac are you using ?

this is the only memory player I know of that doesn't sound hard and digital or change characteristics when using large amounts of memory say 6GB

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:
try this one or the link in the first post, navigate to the mqn directory

http://my.rapidshare.com/sbgk/11541

sounds like your dac must be 24 in 24, what did wasapi test say, are your hirez files 24 bit ?

ive a john kenny ciunas dac, im away from home at the minute but most of the hires is 24 96 but ive bits of everything
its just a pity because most of my system testing was done using hi res tracks and i knew what i was looking for improvement wise

wasapi test wouldnt run command prompt flashed up and went same as when i try to play hires 

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 50
ok, I'll see if I can find any info on the dac.

to use wasapi test you need to open a console window, cd to the directory wasapi test is in and run wasapi test from there, it prints out the info to the console window.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #28 of 50
Subscribed. Sounds interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back