MP3 Where to start?
Jun 9, 2002 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
I'm a bit of an mp3 virgin to be honest and would like some advice.

I've pretty much got the hang of downloading songs (clips or otherwise) and would like to be able to convert songs from cd to mp3.

What's the easiest (free) software to use? How easy is it to do?

Reason I want to do this is because certain games on the pc now have the ability to stream your songs from the mp3 file in the games directory, so if you don't like the games music then just put your own in, GTA III does this at the mo and am sure other games will follow.

Cheers for any help in advance...

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 18
www.r3mix.net--great mp3 ripping guide for newbies.
cool.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 9, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 18
http://www.musicmatch.com/home/
Musicmatch jukebox is a good program that is easy to use. The free version is limited, but still very useful. I like the way Musicmatch manages all your mp3 files.

I also agree that r3mix is a very helpful site. I learned a lot there when I was starting out. In fact after I found that site I had to re-encode all my mp3's because I had done such a bad job on them.

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 18
So now you use Musicmatch after learning so much?
confused.gif
confused.gif

:shakes head:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 9, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
www.r3mix.net--great mp3 ripping guide for newbies.
cool.gif

Just don't bother with the rest of the site, which is full of some of the most inane and idiotic statements about audio I've seen in a long while, especially on his "myths" page -- oh, the irony in a page that is supposed to dispel "myths" being so full of inaccurate crap
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
So now you use Musicmatch after learning so much?
confused.gif
confused.gif

:shakes head:

Actually I have been also using it for ripping into mp3 lately. The newer versions do a decent job using vbr 86%, and it's quick and easy. The reason behind this is that the only time I listen to mp3's is at work or in the car. Both noisey places where the quality of sound is lost in the noise of the surroundings. I never make audio cd's from mp3 anymore. I don't listen to music off the 'puter very often, sound blaster live being the reason for that.
[size=small]So I got lazy!![/size]

Jun 10, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 18
If you're asking for help on ripping your own stuff from CD to mp3 then yeah, follow the r3mix stuff and explicitly make sure you get Exact Audio Copy.

I use EAC to rip files to .ape format myself since I'm not space restricted and go to rather extreme lengths to get the best quality I can out of it. (.ape is a lossless format called Monkey's Audio) I realize you need it in mp3 format and EAC will do that too and the info should all be on that r3mix page.

Jun 10, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

Actually I have been also using it for ripping into mp3 lately. The newer versions do a decent job using vbr 86%, and it's quick and easy. The reason behind this is that the only time I listen to mp3's is at work or in the car. Both noisey places where the quality of sound is lost in the noise of the surroundings. I never make audio cd's from mp3 anymore. I don't listen to music off the 'puter very often, sound blaster live being the reason for that.
[size=small]So I got lazy!![/size]

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can set EAC up so it goes directly to LAME.

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Just don't bother with the rest of the site, which is full of some of the most inane and idiotic statements about audio I've seen in a long while, especially on his "myths" page -- oh, the irony in a page that is supposed to dispel "myths" being so full of inaccurate crap
evil_smiley.gif

But it is fun reading when you know what is true and what is not
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 18
for MP3-ing, I use EAC to rip and a prog called Wav-To-MP3-Encoder
biggrin.gif
it's freeware I found on Tucows and it is the easiest I could find. just one click and you're off. titles can be DLed from CDDB.

if you just want to put some music for games (do that too) on your HD, thats all you need I think. no need to read manuals or guides or anything. I bet granma could do it...well, that stretching it
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Lame is hardly easy but it's the best out there...

Install the command line version and run...

lame --alt-preset fast extreme -b32 --lowpass 20500 sourcefile.wav destfile.mp3

and let it do it's thing. I would even bet that you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from the CD.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 18
after 10000 mp3 + recorded
axact audio copy + lame = quality
there are faster programs but they cut corners I suppose.

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can set EAC up so it goes directly to LAME.

I just recently got a newer version of EAC and I see that it does this. I also have razor LAME and WINLAME. I am not sure which one is better. I was haveing a problem with razor LAME making files that had to be renamed before they could be used. I was always getting "File can not be found" errors when I would try to open them, even when double clicking the file.
Quote:

Originally posted by AtEaseI recommend you stay away from the r3mix setting, it's really not that good. The newer alt-presets will give you substanially better quality.

Maybe this is why I found Musicmatch and LAME to sound equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back