MP3 players with amp built in?
Dec 11, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 15
Technically speaking, all MP3 players have amps built in. The reason why people here use amps is because the amps in some MP3 players are not as well implemented and this may result in things like roll-offs, or simply not enough impact, etc.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 15
try sony pcm-d50

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically speaking, all MP3 players have amps built in. The reason why people here use amps is because the amps in some MP3 players are not as well implemented and this may result in things like roll-offs, or simply not enough impact, etc.

Do you know an MP3 player that has a very good amp so that you don't need a second one?

I use the Sennheiser HD555, and it sounds fine out of my soundcard on the computer.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 15
To get more power to the headphones. Amps are a compromise in DAPs since they're engineered for maximum battery life. Amps need power to generate power, so battery life would be very short if there was enough to drive most headphones we listen to here. The good news is that an iPod is powerful enough to drive IEMs or Grados (they're very efficient and don't need much power to sound good) without an external amp. When I go portable, I listen to IEMs or the Grado RS-1 straight out of an iPod. It doesn't sound as good as my big tube amps, but just fine when on the go or in a hotel room.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I pods support lossless formats like FLAC or APE?

No, but you can convert those files to WAV, and then in turn transcode them to ALAC.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 15
Ipods arent "the end".

Without an amp, id rather use a Zune, Cowan Iaudio, or Sansa Fuze, Sony.

If you use the line out through an amp, its better than without one.
I dont like the forward overly-lively sound of the ipods really.
Its too mechanical, digital , clinical, for me. I like a warmer more full and solid sound.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, it more the opposite!
wink.gif

You will have a hard time finding a MP3 player without a built in amplifier...

Quote:

Do I pods support lossless formats like FLAC or APE?

Lossless yes, but not FLAC or APE. At least not using the Apple firmware.
Apple Lossless on the other hand..

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Then why do people here use amps with MP3 players?

Guess you now refer to external amplifiers, over the built in one...
Because they want higher sound quality. Since a larger external amplifier have less compromises (space, design, components, ..) than the amplifier built into the small MP3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back