MP3 Players at CES 2011
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nonsupremous

1000+ Head-Fier
Is it just me or has the MP3 market at this year's show been extremely quiet?  In fact the only MP3 that I have seen any information on yet is the new Samsung.  And it got a few initial impression beatings. 

Has anyone seen or heard of any new MP3 players to hit the market this year that's NOT a cell phone or a tablet?

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 14
That's just it -everything seems to be getting integrated together.  Why buy a camera, portable media player, cellular phone, and more when they can all be put into one unit?  

While my cell phone is more than capable (almost every Japanese phone is loaded with stuff), I prefer having dedicated equipment for my needs (camera, media player, etc.), but I think I fall in the minority here.  Companies like to go where the most money can be made.  The majority of equipment currently offered seems to be taking care of consumer needs in more than adequate fashion, so why make the investment into creating newer equipment for platforms that most consumers are losing interest in?  I wouldn't mind seeing some new media players though.  I have to admit I'm equally curious about what else is coming out in the near future... 

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm with you.  I could care less about having media on my cell phone.  My phone needs to be for business and personall calling only.  I guess it's all about convenience. 

Hopefully some companies will just come out with some updated media players this year.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 14
I think Archos, Creative, Cowon, Samsung anounced MP3 players(DAPs and Mini Tablets) on CES this year.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 14
I have tried to use my phone for music playback a few times - usually when I have forgotten my Clip+ or it has been out of battery. Every time I have used the phone some idiot got the idea that he/she should call me. That is extremely irritating. There are no phone calls that are more important than my music. And I mean it!

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
While my cell phone is more than capable (almost every Japanese phone is loaded with stuff), I prefer having dedicated equipment for my needs (camera, media player, etc.), but I think I fall in the minority here.

If only this stuff would have been available outside of Japan... i can't even use browser on my DoCoMo phone, not to mention apps...
However, as a camera it is definitely not worse than an average cheap dedicated camera; and such an integration doesn't seem to affect DSLR cameras manufacturers. I wonder what is the difference between camera and media player segments.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
DSLR: Wow, cool camera! So like, you're really into photography, huh?

MP3: Oh, it's not an ipod?

That's the difference.

Well put. 

Off topic a little bit but I have to say this while I remember: I hate how everything is ipod compatible.  It seems like every company makes an ipod dock.  I've gotten really tired of seeing them everywhere.  I know they're popular, but it's a bit overwhelming to see ipod stuff everywhere. 

I whip out my Archos media player from 2005 and people are like "wow!  that thing looks really cool!  what is it?"  It does music.  It does pictures.  It does video.  At the time I got it, I think ipods were just introducing models that had picture capabilities.  If only it did lossless and had a digital or line out...

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 14
I was listening to my iRiver iHP-120 at work hooked up to my D10 on my UE10Pro. Coworker asked me what it is, said me an old MP3 player that's why its so big unlike a Nano. So he asked me what is that thing you are listening to in your ears? Said me old big earbuds. If he only knew.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 14
You should totally scare him with the price. Just do it.

Quote:
I was listening to my iRiver iHP-120 at work hooked up to my D10 on my UE10Pro. Coworker asked me what it is, said me an old MP3 player that's why its so big unlike a Nano. So he asked me what is that thing you are listening to in your ears? Said me old big earbuds. If he only knew.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 14
I would agree, this year at the show there wasn't much info on mp3 players, nothing even new from sony.

thing is, most companies now release MP3s players at random times of the year and then if it close to IFA, then they release it there, otherwise I doubt mp3 players will debut at major shows like CES now a days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back