Mozart Requiem Suggestions?
Apr 28, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #61 of 77
Well bad news for me, I got laid off, good news the people at work all chipped in for an Amazon gift cert, so I have the Harnoncourt on order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #62 of 77
Scott,

I am so sorry! That's really awful. But the Harnoncourt is also available in SACD/hybrid at yourmusic.com for only $5.99! That might soften the blow (a little?). I hope you will find a new situation really soon.

Apr 28, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #63 of 77
Regarding the enhanced CD features and Mac, the score works perfectly on my PowerBook. When the CD is read, it mounts twice, once as a music CD, and once as a data CD from which you can run the score-viewing program.

-Jay

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #64 of 77
Thanks for the replys. I will try them when I get a chance. Luckily I own a PC - no Mac. I will try to see if that works. The good news is that I got the new Mozart Requiem through the mail today.

Hooray!!
rs1smile.gif

The bad news is that I have class today and will not be off until 10 in the evening. Work and school tend to hold me back quite a bit.
frown.gif

However, if anyone is up at 11, please check back as I should have a full review posted.
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #65 of 77
MOZART REQUIEM (FRAGMENT)
PFLUGER MEMENTO MORI

WURTTEMBERGISCHER KAMMERCHOR
WURTTEMBERGISCHE PHILHARMONIE

DIETER KURZ, CONDUCTOR

LABEL: CADENZA
FORMAT: SACD/HYBRID

RATING: ******(OUT OF 10) - FINAL
(Increased the score because the SACD layer sounds A LOT BETTER.

Well, I have listened to the Mozart on this SACD twice now. I have to say that I was immediately thrown off by the order of the tracks. The fragmentary requiem is ordered chronologically in the way Mozart composed it – NOT THE ACTUAL WAY IT IS MEANT TO BE PERFORMED.

First of all here are some things to keep in mind.
-It was recorded live on March 9, 2004
-It was a performance in honor of Pfluger 5 year death anniversary (his requiem is also on the SACD)
-It is a hybrid SACD

So far I have only listened to the red book layer and all in all I think that it is a good performance. Let me stress GOOD – NOT GREAT, NOT AWESOME, NOT AMAZING, NOT MIGHTY – just good. I think that Mozart’s requiem was mainly included to add incentive to buy the SACD and to fill out the remaining time on the SACD after Pfluger’s Memento Mori.

The sound quality has not impressed me as of yet (I have yet to hear the SACD layer). Crowd noise is there, as well as those little nuances that you only get in a live performance.

Having listed to the whole thing I would mostly recommend this SACD to people who like modern classical music as Pfluger’s work is very different and very contemporary (composed in 1995). Sound quality is also better on the Pfluger performance.

For Mozart fans – well – if you want a good fragmentary requiem get this SACD. If you want a GREAT one then please get the one by Spering. You can find a link to that CD earlier in the thread. Spering’s recording even includes the fragmentary Amen fugue which this SACD sadly and disappointingly left out.
frown.gif

Now – if you truly want to hear the full majesty and might of Mozart’s Requiem in D minor then please get the Mackerras SACD hybrid which was also mentioned earlier in the thread or at the very least, get the Harnoncourt SACD.

Tomorrow I will have time to do a more in dept review of this Kurz SACD v. the Spering CD.

Till next time fellow head-fi-ers.

Apr 29, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #66 of 77
I am so sorry that the cd turned out to be a dud! Perhaps you can sell it at amazon or maybe you will retain it as a curiousity. You didn't really say much about the Pfluger, but I did get the impression that it was definitely not very Mozartean.

There is always a risk when we buy recordings, especially when they are not reviewed. I find myself with so many awful recordings I cannot even give away that it's not funny. My latest mistake is Jian Wang's Bach Cello Suites (ugly cello sound, poor interpretation and just to make it more painful, excellent recording by DG. Someone I know, upon listening to a few tracks has renamed the cellist John Wayng.) Maybe we should start of library of recordings to avoid.
smily_headphones1.gif
We should at least have a thread or some file of "recordings to avoid" that can be easily searched.

Better luck on the next cd!

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
There is always a risk when we buy recordings, especially when they are not reviewed. I find myself with so many awful recordings I cannot even give away that it's not funny.

Hey Bunny,
You can always ship them to me.
rs1smile.gif

No need to apologize though - at least I get to keep it as a novelty and for comparison. As for the Pfluger - well - it's too modern for my tastes and the recording quality is only slightly better than the Mozart. Tonight I will give it a listen using my SACD player which I have at home using speakers, my beloved RS-1's and my new Senn HD-650's. I will keep you posted if I change my opinion on it.

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #68 of 77
Just let me know if you are really interested in Jian Wang's strange rendition of Bach's Suites for Cello or the Solti, Bryn Terfel Don Giovanni which can't even find a fan at Amazon. Actually, I got rid of the Solti Don Giovanni years ago by giving it to someone who loved Bryn Terfel so much that he really didn't care that the whole recording was awful. As for the John Wayne (ick), it's not even worth the cost of the postage it is so very awful. It actually sounds as if he shot the cello before he started playing.

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears

It actually sounds as if he shot the cello before he started playing.

Now THAT is a vivd description
waytogo.gif

May 3, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #70 of 77
Harnoncourt SACD arrived today, look forward to hearing it.

May 3, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #71 of 77
Please let us know what you think.

May 3, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Harnoncourt SACD arrived today, look forward to hearing it.

Scott keep us posted on you new job hunt......classical music company stocks went down upon the news anticipating lower USA volume sales this year.
k1000smile.gif

My Harnoncourt hybrid also remains in new CD stack, unable to find time to spin it, perhaps soon.

May 3, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Scott keep us posted on you new job hunt......classical music company stocks went down upon the news anticipating lower USA volume sales this year.
k1000smile.gif

My Harnoncourt hybrid also remains in new CD stack, unable to find time to spin it, perhaps soon.

Hahah, yes, the current "new" pile will have to keep me going for a while, but that may not be a bad thing. Concentrate on what I have while I pour over my resume.

Scott

May 23, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #74 of 77
Picked up both the Herrewegh and the Harnoncourt cd's, and I have to say that I definitely prefer the Harnoncourt between the 2. It is played in the typical Harnoncourt style, with the typical Harnoncourt excellence. I'm not sure if it displaces Davis for my top choice, but it's right up there at the top. Sonics are pretty damn amazing.

May 23, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #75 of 77
Bought Harnoncourt and Mackerras (both hybrid SACD) after reading this thread. Already own a half-dozen others, but after just a few listens of these two new ones, they've moved to the top of the list. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back