Mozart Requiem Suggestions?
Mar 13, 2005 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

BRBJackson

Headphoneus Supremus
My mom called the other day, looking for recommendations of Mozart Requiem CD's. Can the learned classical buffs here point us in the right direction? I've got an old Hogwood recording of the AAM/Westminster Cathedral Boy's Choir on L'oiseau-Lyre, but there surely is better... right?

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 77
We had a thread about that I came across recently.. You might like to check this link. The Mozart Requiem has been largely fortunate in its treatment on record. You have quite a selection, plus decisions about original instruments, original performing practice, sonics vs. interpretation.

I like Giulini for a traditional approach, Gardner for a "period" treatment, and Shaw for bombast.

Have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Mar 13, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 77
Don't know why I couldn't find that post when I searched
confused.gif

Thanks Bill!
cheers.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 77
I must give top recommnedation to Herreweghe/Harmonia Mundi in a crowded field of excellent contenders, check some samples:
Herreweghe

Herreweghe achieves an other worldly etherial quality at times, with tremendous power as required and beautiful spacious Harmonia Mundi sound. Orchestra is HIP and plays in the style and size Mozart would have used.

Mar 13, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 77
I would second Herreweghe. Herreweghe's insistance on the articulation of the text makes marvel here. The recording is done with period instruments, on a rather fast tempo, but without exageration. It avoids the trap of a slow overly lyrical requiem or of a crazy outburst, creating at the contrary a sober emotion.

Technically speaking, there's no real weakness. I've heard better solists but the choirs are just perfect.

The recording is outstanding, even more so on speakers
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 77
This Requiem, which features Tafelmusik, is also considered one of the best:
B00004S38S.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Another one that might be worth looking into is recording in SACD and DVD-A format from Sir Charles MacKerras and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and Chorus. I haven't heard very much about this one (except about the format).

Mar 13, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 77
Darkangel, I see that the Harnoncourt SACD of the Requiem is also available from yourmusic for only $5.99 (or 4.99 for you)! they have the wrong cover art linked to it, but it's probably worth a look-see.

Here it is at Towerrecords

B00022UO9I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 77
Herreweghe all the way. Best balance of recording quality, emotional performance and technical accuracy.

Mar 15, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I must give top recommnedation to Herreweghe/Harmonia Mundi in a crowded field of excellent contenders, check some samples:
Herreweghe

Herreweghe achieves an other worldly etherial quality at times, with tremendous power as required and beautiful spacious Harmonia Mundi sound. Orchestra is HIP and plays in the style and size Mozart would have used.

You just cost me more money.
rolleyes.gif

BW

Mar 15, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 77
Mar 15, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 77
As usual, some great suggestions from the amazing Head-Fi crew... I'll pass this on to my mom verbatim... and probably pick up a couple for myself
600smile.gif

Thanks again!

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 77
I too enjoy the Giulini, and it's a budget CD to boot. Well worth looking at.

Scott

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 77
Interesting factoid on the Harnoncourt, it has images of the actual score on it, just pop it in your PC.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back