Mozart piano concertos
Jul 4, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #31 of 66
I also have a version with (believe or not!) Chick Correa and Bobby McFerrin with some improvisations of his own that in my opinion deserve to be listened to. The quality of the recording is also outstanding.

CDMozartSessions.jpg

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Schiff's Mozart, then try Richard Goode's recordings. They are, imo, much better! Goode has recorded a cd of sonatas which is really my top choice for modern piano and also some of the concertos which are also excellent. (Sonatas and one of the concerti recordings pictured below)
549937.jpg
superd_1242960.jpg

I love both of those CD, especially the concertos. They never fail to put me in a good mood!
Quote:

0000146703_350.jpg

Is this the set that BRO is carrying?

not sure, but judging from the list of composers, it should be. You know how it goes with BRO: they always test your patience. This time the wait is harder than usual: I also have Savall's Farnace in the same order...

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #33 of 66
Bunny
How do you compare Bilson/Archiv with Immerseel/Channel Classics for forte piano versions?

I have a couple of the individual Bilson CDs, I love the inspired orchestral work by Gardiner. Very clear and original instruments bring forth all kinds of enhancements that make music so enjoyable, it is well loved by the critics but...........the forte piano seems a bit distant/opaque and is overwhelmed in scale by the orchestra, I want to increase the volume of just the forte piano often to make it more balanced. I realize your ear has to adjust to forte piano vs modern piano sound but even so the Bilson instrument is too recessed in the soundscape.

By contrast the samples I hear of Immerseel reveals a richer more detailed forte piano that is in better balance/scale with orchestra, more harmony of effect. Is this your impression also?

A bit late to ask this question since the order is already placed
tongue.gif

Wish there was a complete Staier/Teldec set!

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 66
I thought I'd throw in a recommendation for Maurizio Pollini's new DG disc of KV. 414 and 491 (nos. 12 and 24 - I guess Pollini has a thing for integers congruent modulo 2, but bad math humor can wait for another thread). In keeping with an earlier disc, Pollini himself directs from the piano. I'm not sure if that's a universally great thing, since some conductors are very responsive to and intelligent about the soloist (e.g., Boulez' 1974 recording of KV. 537 with Curzon and the BBCSO, out on BBC Legends); in this case, however, I would say that Pollini does a reasonable job leading the Wiener Philharmoniker.

This material is, of course, part of the central repertoire for the WP (broadly speaking), and one reviewer raised the question of how much is Pollini and how much is the native style of the WP. I'm not prepared to answer that, leaving it for wiser heads, though I have my suspicions. In any event, there is a good sense of balance between soloist and tutti. The sound is pretty good, though the packaging makes it clear that these were culled from concerts. Pollini's performances are really quite nice, too: his tendencies toward balance and precision really suit the music here nicely.

Granted, it's big-band Mozart, but it's never bloated. This disc is, also, another entry in a string of reasonably intelligent major-label releases (Aimard's Bach, Hahn's Schoenberg and Sibelius, i.a.). It's probably more of a testament to the individual artists than the labels, but it's nice to do without another so-so recording of a warhorse most listeners could reproduce blindfolded.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #35 of 66
PS
thanks for the Pollini info

Bunny
I have to agree with you 100% on the praise for the Goode/Nonesuch concertos!
A big part of the success of these performances has to go the Orpheus chamber orch which is famous for thier Haydn/Mozart work and they really shine here also.
The sound quality by Nonesuch label is excellent also, don't hesitate to get these versions.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunny
How do you compare Bilson/Archiv with Immerseel/Channel Classics for forte piano versions?

I have a couple of the individual Bilson CDs, I love the inspired orchestral work by Gardiner. Very clear and original instruments bring forth all kinds of enhancements that make music so enjoyable, it is well loved by the critics but...........the forte piano seems a bit distant/opaque and is overwhelmed in scale by the orchestra, I want to increase the volume of just the forte piano often to make it more balanced. I realize your ear has to adjust to forte piano vs modern piano sound but even so the Bilson instrument is too recessed in the soundscape.

By contrast the samples I hear of Immerseel reveals a richer more detailed forte piano that is in better balance/scale with orchestra, more harmony of effect. Is this your impression also?

A bit late to ask this question since the order is already placed
tongue.gif

Wish there was a complete Staier/Teldec set!

I hate to admit this, but I haven't listened to the bilson set in months (maybe a year) or so! I'll pull out some of the cds and start comparing them to the Immerseel after the weekend when hopefully I'll have a little more time. I do recall you saying that you didn't care for the Bilson Gardiner set because the fortepiano sounded too compressed, but that was never my impression. However, the Immerseel set does have a different (to my memory) balance in the sonics. The fortepiano may be a bit more closely miked or the instruments may be different. Unlike modern Steinway Ds, all of which seem to have the same sound signature, fortepianos are all very individual varying by manufacturer as well as by individual instrument. I'll have to check that as well.

I also wish there were more Staier Mozart P/Cs as well. Staier, however, is now under contract to Harmonia Mundi, so he won't be recording again with the Concerto Köln at any time very soon, which is under contract to DG. HM did issue the Mozart "Last Concertos" album with Staier and the Freiburg Barockorchester. That includes the last piano concerto (no. 27, K595) and the clarinet concerto which is according to critics not played as well as the p/c. If I find that at a good price, or if it shows up at Yourmusic, it's a definite buy for me.

901980_G.jpg

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #37 of 66
Calaf
Good find on that Staier/Teldec collection from Berkshire, it would cost a bloody fortune to buy those CDs individually since they are in very high demand.

While there I picked up the Rene Jacobs/HM - Monteverdi Vespers BVM, I always wanted that version but used price was too high, Berkshire to the rescue again!

Waiting for big supply of HIP Mozart Concertos/Sonatas to arrive by Immerseel, Staier, Bilson and Brautigam!
(who needs any of that Bach stuff......)

41J1AJR0DQL._SL160_.jpg
21XKAMSHRVL._SL160_.jpg
512JBRX4SNL._SL160_.jpg
31EITijYmeL._SL160_.jpg
51XXD7Q5Q8L._SL160_.jpg

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #38 of 66
This site is evil. Immerseel set of PC's ordered. Amazon is evil - they linked to the Mosaiques Quartet set of late Mozart string quartets, placed an order for that too....

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This site is evil. Immerseel set of PC's ordered. Amazon is evil - they linked to the Mosaiques Quartet set of late Mozart string quartets, placed an order for that too....

I am so sorry for all of our wallets...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #40 of 66
Brautigam/BIS - Sonatas & Variations
This is just a fabulous collection and absolutely essential for Mozart collectors, I had previously been a forte piano skeptic but performances like this have changed my mind 180 degrees! Brautigam has a very rich full sounding instrument and plays with great panache and drama, the clearer fleeter voice of the forte piano is used to full advantage here and now makes the heavy modern piano versions seem to be the wrong direction........I cannot listen to them anymore.

As thrilled as I am with this great Brautigam collection I have found another equally as good and perhaps even a touch better.......
Immerseel/Sony - Mozart Vienna Years

It is not a complete sonata collection, but a 2 CD collection of various sonatas, rondos and fantasies from Mozart's later Vienna period. Like Brautigam the instrument used by Immerseel has a very rich full sound, and his flair for these works is extremely impressive, very clear detailed sound. As I said before these collections have completely changed my thinking of how Mozart pianio works should ideally be performed

Bunny, Tyson this is also an essential purchase!

21XKAMSHRVL._SL160_.jpg
512JBRX4SNL._SL160_.jpg

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #42 of 66
Just ordered Brautigam's sonatas. Thank you DA, Bunny and Tyson for your great discourse. It's a tremendous guide. My bank balance continues to plummet, but the music soars. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered Brautigam's sonatas. Thank you DA, Bunny and Tyson for your great discourse. It's a tremendous guide. My bank balance continues to plummet, but the music soars. Thanks!

Great........keep the beat going, love to hear your impressions

I am still waiting for Mr Croc in FLA to deliver Immerseel concerto set
frown.gif

In the meantime Berkshire was kind enought to deliver the 5CD Staier/Teldec set.......what a great find by Calaf!
The main draw is CDs 3,4 which contain the Mozart piano concertos. A single used Staier CD at Amazon costs more than entire set from Berkshire! Like Brautigam we have a wonder full rich toned forte piano that is properly balanced in scale with band and much more detailed sounding than Bilson in his famous Gardiner set. Staier and Concerto Koln play with such great flair and excitement, you will find great enjoyment with these works and sound quality is very good unlocking many fine details and neuances......sad part is we have only 4 concertos available for teldec, as Bunny mentioned Staier now with Harmonia Mundi label. Performances of this level will make you rethink whether your previous favorite modern piano versions are the best way to perform these works

Bilson/Gardiner/Archiv.........
Is a frustrating set, we have wonderful vital orchestral perfromance by Gardiner and English Baroque Soloists.....which should not surprise those who have heard the late Mozart symphonies by this same pair for Phillips label, but Bilson is not an ideal match here. His style is just a bit reserved compared to Gardiner's bravura so I think there is a minor style clash and the sound on the forte piano is slightly muffled and opaque compared to Staier for instance. Plus the instrument sets back too far in sound stage, is overwhelmed in scale by orchestra making a volume mismatch to go along with the style mismatch for me.

Still I will be keeping the Bilson/Gardiner set despite my qualifacations, now where is my Immerseel.......

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great........keep the beat going, love to hear your impressions

I am still waiting for Mr Croc in FLA to deliver Immerseel concerto set
frown.gif

In the meantime Berkshire was kind enought to deliver the 5CD Staier/Teldec set.......what a great find by Calaf!
The main draw is CDs 3,4 which contain the Mozart piano concertos.

Glad you got it! I am still waiting for mine ... sometimes living on the good coast is a drag
redface.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you got it! I am still waiting for mine ... sometimes living on the good coast is a drag
redface.gif

finally got it. After a first pass I have to say that the real winner in this set is the CD dedicated to Muzio Clementi. I half-expected some polite/boring stuff, and was blown away by the last two sonatas performed with brio (and occasional fire) by Staier on a very romantic sounding fortepiano (is it really a fortepiano?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back