Mozart piano concertos
Oct 1, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #62 of 66
Looks like another set to add to the list.

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #63 of 66
I have decided to go to the ultimate extreme......

Yes I ordered the Glenn Gould/Sony Mozart sonata set, want to hear how Glenn de-constructs these works.

What is the old saying "it's so bad it's good" many Mozart fans despise these and see them as mockery of Mozart,
or is it Gould just doing it "my way" and making the adventurous listener rethink these works........

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #64 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to go to the ultimate extreme......

Yes I ordered the Glenn Gould/Sony Mozart sonata set, want to hear how Glenn de-constructs these works.

What is the old saying "it's so bad it's good" many Mozart fans despise these and see them as mockery of Mozart,
or is it Gould just doing it "my way" and making the adventurous listener rethink these works........

I have listened to complete 4CD Gould/Sony sonata set........it is crazy stuff and I am very glad to own it although it could never be your only set

51XCu01dVNL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

The Brautigam/BIS is the reference sonata complete set, but Glenn is up to all kinds of tricks with his take on Mozart. The early sonatas have extreme tempos in the outer movements, off the charts fast. Later sonatas have less extreme deviations from standard practice, but have thier Gould moments also. Style seems very eccentric and whimsical flight of fantasy, with middle movements slower and darker than standard. Some may think Gould is mocking Mozart, I just think Glenn is being Glenn and doing it his way, I find it refreshing but can see where others think it is all a joke.........

So if you want an extremely unique personal take on Mozart sonatas with modern piano Gould is your man
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #66 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Tyson & Bunny and perhaps others.........

Brautigam/BIS Haydn complete solo piano works on forte piano:

41Ej4uzvCsL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Release date is 9/30/08, 15 CD set for $65.99 amazon..........sellers may have it for under $50 which is quite a deal compared to used price of individual Cds from this set!

This would be complete overkill for me, but hard to turn down a bargain of this quality
very_evil_smiley.gif

Took a long time but finally went through this 15cd set.........I know you should never say never, but I can't imagine this set ever being surpassed regardless of keyboard used.

I do have one caveat, the early works on first 3-4 Cds are a bit lackluster and I thought this purchase was a mistake and I would never listen to it again, but things quickly pick up on subsequent Cds and the works come alive with a wealth of imagination and melody. As with the Mozart set sound quality is excellent, a great discovery for me! If you like Mozart sonatas do not deny yourself the great satisfaction you will find in these little known gems, Brautigam has delivered the goods (again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back