Mozart piano concertos
Nov 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Schiff? I am a big fan of his, and am curious about his set with Vegh.

I have 5-6 CDs from this set, Schiff piano playing is generally similar to Perahia with a touch more drama......but the thing I like is most is orchestral parts with Sandor Vegh give it a different and better style, more HIP sounding and lively than the ECO for Perahia.....sound quaity is also a bit better/newer than Perahia.

Schiff is using a Bosendorfer piano and sometimes uses his own cadenzas

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 66
I think Jay's comments are bang on, though I'm surprised no one has seconded my Richter. Greatest pianist ever. (mind you he only recorded some of the concertos)

I haven't heard the Schiff recordings, but his Mozart sonatas on London/Decca are about as good as it gets. Phenomenal Mozart player.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 66
The only recording I have is two concertos (20 and 24 I think, or may be 22 and 24) with Britten on BBC Legends. It is one of my favorites.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Jay's comments are bang on, though I'm surprised no one has seconded my Richter. Greatest pianist ever. (mind you he only recorded some of the concertos)

I haven't heard the Schiff recordings, but his Mozart sonatas on London/Decca are about as good as it gets. Phenomenal Mozart player.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 66
There is a 2 CD set of Clifford Curzon playing the 20, 23, 24, 26, and 27 which is wonderful. I couldn't open the link provided in an earlier post, so I don't know if Curzon was mentioned there. I seem to be collecting various performances of the Mozart concertos lately, but this is my favorite.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 66
41SXARKAZML._AA240_.jpg

41RNYV929AL._AA240_.jpg

41BAM1KE5RL._AA240_.jpg

51SX7V56BYL._AA240_.jpg

21XB3G8PGSL._AA180_.jpg

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite complete set at the moment is Perahia. The ongoing cycle with Brendel and Mackerras is outstanding and has the benefit of great sound quality (not that the Perahia set is bad by any means), but it's pricey.

The Casadesus/Szell recordings are great, and all of Haskil's Mozart that I've heard has been extremely impressive.

Brendel and Marriner don't inspire me. Ashkenazy is too inconsistent. Argerich has her moments but is too over the top in these works for my taste. Avoid Uchida at all costs, no matter how cheap you find the box set. I haven't heard Annie Fischer in these concerti, but I would love to; she is one of my favorites.

There are many sets which I have not yet heard that intrigue me, such as Buchbinder, Immerseel, and Anda.

-Jay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the comments. I currently have Brendel (not complete), Uchida (not complete), Anda & Ashkenazy.

BTW, my favourite movement is the Adagio in K488. Slow, but relaxing and never boring. What a gorgeous movement.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, my favourite movement is the Adagio in K488. Slow, but relaxing and never boring. What a gorgeous movement.

One of my absolute favorites too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #25 of 66
After listening to Staier/Teldec concertos and Brautigam/BIS sonatas using forte pianos......
I have become more and more dissatisfied with my modern piano sets and have finally given in to Bunny's suggestion of Immerseel/Channel Classics:

31EITijYmeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amazon seller Caiman.com has it for $52, this is new packaging released 4/2008. I have purposely avioded forte piano versions (which is easy since there aren't many) because long ago I never liked the Bilson/Gardiner/Archiv set and saw no need to look further. But now after hearing the above versions it is making me change my mind, order is placed
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to Staier/Teldec concertos and Brautigam/BIS sonatas using forte pianos......
I have become more and more dissatisfied with my modern piano sets and have finally given in to Bunny's suggestion of Immerseel/Channel Classics:

31EITijYmeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amazon seller Caiman.com has it for $52, this is new packaging released 4/2008. I have purposely avioded forte piano versions (which is easy since there aren't many) because long ago I never liked the Bilson/Gardiner/Archiv set and saw no need to look further. But now after hearing the above versions it is making me change my mind, order is placed
redface.gif

I wish Brautigam would record the concertos. Nobody plays the fortepiano quite like him -- his Mozart piano sonata set, and the ongoing Beethoven sonata recordings are awesome. I agree that many of the modern sets on the concertos are not very satisfying, although I am a big fan of the limited Schiff that I've heard.

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #27 of 66
speaking of Staier fortepiano versions I have just ordered this 5CD box set
Berkshire Record Outlet - Bargain Classical Music
with Andreas Staier/Concerto Koln playing Mozart, Field, and Salieri Piano concertos (plus some sonatas, etc). I hope his Mozart is as good as his Scarlatti...

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #29 of 66
So nobody has heard Buchbinder set? All the critics have only good things to say about him.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish Brautigam would record the concertos. Nobody plays the fortepiano quite like him -- his Mozart piano sonata set, and the ongoing Beethoven sonata recordings are awesome. I agree that many of the modern sets on the concertos are not very satisfying, although I am a big fan of the limited Schiff that I've heard.

If you like Schiff's Mozart, then try Richard Goode's recordings. They are, imo, much better! Goode has recorded a cd of sonatas which is really my top choice for modern piano and also some of the concertos which are also excellent. (Sonatas and one of the concerti recordings pictured below)
549937.jpg
superd_1242960.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speaking of Staier fortepiano versions I have just ordered this 5CD box set
Berkshire Record Outlet - Bargain Classical Music
with Andreas Staier/Concerto Koln playing Mozart, Field, and Salieri Piano concertos (plus some sonatas, etc). I hope his Mozart is as good as his Scarlatti...

0000146703_350.jpg

Is this the set that BRO is carrying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back