Moving towards the Dark Side.
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EvenFlow14

New Head-Fier
Hows everyone doing? Been looking on this community for a little over a year and I thought I would give this place a shot. Awesome, super helpful/friendly community
beerchug.gif
So recently I got a pair of hfi580's that sound decent, however I'm finding that my tastes are changing a lot. I love that warm, lush, full sound, completely different from my Ultrasones. So basically, I'm looking for a open set, over-ear set with a warm, lush signature. I don't mind having rolled off highs, just not too drastic, still love my highs. Also looking for a good soundstage. My music preferences include Progressive Metal, Metal, Rock, Alt. Rock, Classic Rock, REAL dubstep (widdler, funtcase, ect.) and thrown jazz and classical from occasion. Max budget is 300-350 at the most. Thank you for looking this over, I know you guys love helping us newbies out
beyersmile.png

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 10
I'll try to help a fellow Pearl Jam fan out (assuming that is what your name referring to). The Sennheiser Hd650 is exactly what you are describing. The only problem is the 650 requires an amp. You will be missing out without one. 

Ps: you don't need to bump a thread every 5 minutes. I know the forum moves fast, but that is ridiculous. Be patient. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 10
I, too, had the HD650 come to mind. Unfortunately it's price range is $400+ (without amp).

I'd give the HD598's a shot. You wouldn't even need an amp for them, and they do literally everything really well.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the advice. I wish I coulf affort the hd 650, but thats a hell of a lot of money that I don't have. I was looking for a set mayber from 100-300 price range. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Hows everyone doing? Been looking on this community for a little over a year and I thought I would give this place a shot. Awesome, super helpful/friendly community
beerchug.gif
So recently I got a pair of hfi580's that sound decent, however I'm finding that my tastes are changing a lot. I love that warm, lush, full sound, completely different from my Ultrasones. So basically, I'm looking for a open set, over-ear set with a warm, lush signature. I don't mind having rolled off highs, just not too drastic, still love my highs. Also looking for a good soundstage. My music preferences include Progressive Metal, Metal, Rock, Alt. Rock, Classic Rock, REAL dubstep (widdler, funtcase, ect.) and thrown jazz and classical from occasion. Max budget is 300-350 at the most. Thank you for looking this over, I know you guys love helping us newbies out
beyersmile.png

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900X
Fischer Audio FA-002

And equalize for optimal treble/bass for your taste.

(HD598 to me is not warm or lush, and is bright, not sure if it would be what you're looking for really)

Very best,

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900X
Fischer Audio FA-002

And equalize for optimal treble/bass for your taste.

(HD598 to me is not warm or lush, and is bright, not sure if it would be what you're looking for really)

Very best,

I think the AD900X would suit me best. What kind of amp would be best for this sort of headphone? I heard tube amps give a very distinct and desired tone, I'm looking to up the mids and bass the most.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 10
A few reports so far suggest that the Fiio E12 (current version from micca store) pairs very well with the ad900x. Here's one:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/649174/review-fiio-e12-vs-c-c-bh/30#post_9147653

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah the HD650 is exactly what you described. You can probably find one used within your budget, or wait for a good deal. The best ones are probably the black friday ones, though, I got mine this past one for $325 including tax and shipping and after I sold off a gift card that came with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back