Moving on from my Senn HD595...Need some help!
Apr 13, 2009 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ABluesTraveler

New Head-Fier
Okay guys I started my path on becoming an audiophile by buying my first pair of SennHD595s (120ohm). I mainly use them with my computer, playing games/music/movies. I recently built the computer myself and am using the sound card which came with the motherboard (However was a very expensive setup, the sound card being "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio" Probably all I can tell you without pulling it apart).

I am considering on upgrading to the HD650s this summer and adding a new amp/or sound card if needed. If I'm going to be purchasing this kind of headphones I'm not scared to spend the money needed to make them sound awesome. So I'm looking for some advise on what to do and what to be looking at? What kind of amp? Soundcard? Or even different headphones... But the only other kind I have been looking into are the Denon AH-D5000s.

Any imput is helpful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Another random question is that I may go ahead and purchase the amp now so I can at least add them to my system now and get the most out of my 595s...Would that be a problem if I'm looking at an amp for a 650? I don't know if you have to have a certain type of amp for a certain type of headphone, as I am still fairly new.

Thank you guys!

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 16
Pick phones and buy an amp to match. What kind of music do you like? What do you want with your headphones? Do you like the 595s? What don't you like about the 595s?

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 16
I really like all types of music...I'll listen to the Bee Gees, Iron Maiden, John Williams, Sister Hazel, Alan Jackson, Howard Shore, or even Lil wayne...Pretty much anything.

I love the 595s..I just thought it was time to take another step into higher end headphones.

Well I'm looking for a 650 amp? So do you have any suggestions?

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 16
How much are you looking to spend?
evil_smiley.gif

A decent amp for the HD-650 can run from $350 or so to over $6,000. At the low end, consider the Gilmore Lite. It does well with the HD-650. Another good budget choice is the PreSonus Central Station - around $500 new. The Central Station will give you a good amp and DAC. I loved the one I had.

Also, I'd recommend a source other than a soundcard. They're OK for gaming, but people tend to buy a DAC, CD player or turntable when they get serious.

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABluesTraveler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any imput is helpful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you are looking to merely spend some money on better gear, it may be helpful for you to consider what it is that your current setup doesn't do as well as you would like and want to improve. If you truly are happy with your current set up then it begs the question: why change anything? You could buy better cans or an amp and might not even notice the difference.

--Jerome

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 16
Well I just want to expand my setup and make it sound as good as it can. I currently do not have an amp with my 595s, so maybe just purchasing one is all I need.

1) If I was going to purchase a DAC for my computer what would you recommend?

2) I do like the Gilmore Light...That would possibly work with the 595s also?

3) I probably have around 400-500 to spend on the amp whether or not I get the 650s.

As for the DAC it just depends how much you guys say i'd make a difference.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 16
1) I don't have a lot of experience, but I really like the Keces DAC or maybe the Cambridge DACmagic.
2) Yes, the 595s will improve.
3) No experience with amping the 650s.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 16
I have a KECES DA-131.1 that I use with my Squeezebox Duet and I absolutely love it. It was nice improvement in sound quality from the built-in DAC of the SB Duet. There is a version of the KECES with a USB input, the DA-151. But if your PC has a SPDIF output then I recommend that you use it with the DA-131 since the DA-151 is USB only IIRC.

--Jerome

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 16
Check the review in my sig for some impressions I wrote a while back comparing the D5000 with an HD595. It was performed without a decent amp or DAC but the sonic impressions should give you an idea.
I have bought the HD650 since writing that, and I use it the most since they work best to my liking with classical and jazz.

Either of the D5000 and HD650 are a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 16
I have owned the HD595s for some six months or so now. They have a great soundstage and are very clean and crisp as you know. Just two days ago I bought the D5000s. All I have to say is "Wow!" I am only running these cans on a PA2V2 amp and they sound really really good! I personally mostly listen to electronic dance music such as trance, house, breaks, chillout, etc. The D5000s provide that "club" bass that this genre demands with nice crisp mids and highs. If you are a fan of the lower sound spectrum, then you may definitely want to consider the D5000s.

I have not personally listened to the 650s, but most everyone says that they are a great set of cans. From what I've read, if your personal taste in more into a nice open soundstage and more of a laid back neutral sound, then the 650s are for you. If you want more of a full meaty sound, then go with the D5000s, but you should also know the they have a pretty good amount of bass and the soundstage is not as wide as say the HD595s. Some people don't like them b/c of this. I personally love them. They fit my style of music better I think.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either set of cans.
I can't say how much of an "upgrade" the 650s would be from the 595s, but I can say that the D5000s are more of a different direction in sound compared to the 595s.

(you should also research the MarkL mod for the D5000s if you haven't already)

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 16
I had the 595s before and upgraded to 650s, both on the Little Dot MKIII. It's a great amp and it's not too expensive. Tube rolling is fun also.
smily_headphones1.gif
Obviously you can get something better with a $600 budget but if you want to save some money they are a great fit..

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 16
I can assure, the HD650 are classes above the 595. Not only bass, but also soundstage, detail and overall smoothness. If you like the sound of 595, I doubt the 650 will disappoint.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Yes thank you guys so much for your feedback!

I really may consider the 5000s...

On another note I've heard the tube amps with the 650s is a bad choice (Especially LD) So should I consider the other amps over the Little Dots?

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 16
The LD MK3 sounds great with the 650s. I don't know who told you tube amps are bad with them but they are wrong. In fact, tons of people recommend the DarkVoice 336 amps for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back