Movie Soundtracks
Dec 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #31 of 162
Hero by Tan Dun, very gifted composer of eastern sounding classical music. Also, everything by Clint Mansell, who, in fact, is a hero, and esp The Fountain, first and best score I've ever heard.
For games: Tomb Raider 2 (YouTube - Tomb Raider 2: Venice Violins) and Age of Empires 2: the Age of Kings (maybe I just like them on nostalgic grounds
biggrin.gif
) Hans Zimmer is already the man, he proved it once again in Angels and Daemons. Very boring movie, gave me time to listen to the score, bought the CD the next day. Pirates 1 2 and 3 are really fun too. (Third is my favourite, first is a classic but a bit repetitive and second leans too much on the first)
Don't really care for LoTR, but Gollum's Song by Emmiliana Torrini is beautiful.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #32 of 162
Just slightly off the beaten path, Jon Brion is my favorite composer nowadays. He can do orchestral, or quirky, or even soundtrack songs.

Magnolia.

Punch Drunk Love.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Synechdoche, New York.

Amazing music. Well worth buying the soundtracks.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #34 of 162
From my first listen, Avatar is not bad. If you like Gladiator, you should get the other Gladiator soundtrack called "Gladiator: More Music From The Motion Picture".

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #35 of 162
"Trans-Siberian Orchestra - A Clockwork Orange"

I am not aware of a TSO version of this soundtrack, but the Wendy (Wayne) Carlos version is an all time great.

Any Danny Elfman or Hans Zimmer is worth checking out.

NOT "pop classical" but one of my favorites has always been the Repo Man soundtrack.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 162
Thomas Newman 'American Beauty', 'Meet Joe Black' and 'The Salton Sea'

Howard Shore 'Panic Room'

Hans Zimmer 'Angels & Demons' and with James Newton Howard for 'The Dark Knight'

More off beat are the soundtracks by Michael Nyman, Philip Glass for the films such as Quanisquatsi and one of my favourites, the Italian band Goblin and the music for 'Zombie Dawn of the Dead'

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #39 of 162
In addition to several of the soundtracks mentioned here, one of my all time favorites is the soundtrack for the mini-series Children of Dune

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #40 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just slightly off the beaten path, Jon Brion is my favorite composer nowadays. He can do orchestral, or quirky, or even soundtrack songs.

Magnolia.

Punch Drunk Love.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Synechdoche, New York.

Amazing music. Well worth buying the soundtracks.

Just came here to post this. Punch Drunk Love is my favorite, but basically anything Jon Brion has ever composed is amazing.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #41 of 162
The Music is called "UNTITLED" It's the music from "ALMOST FAMOUS" score by Nancy Wilson (Heart) and her husband Cameron Crowe.... Maybe some of you have seen the flick.....Music featured "Classic Rock" songs ---the Allman bros,Todd Rundgren,Yes,Led Zeppelin, Nancy Wilson (who doesn't love her music and looks) many other artist..BEST OF ALL released on "CLASSIC RECORDS LIMITED EDITION VINYL"......All the examples given above are also killer, soundtracks...how does anyone pick a favorite???

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #42 of 162
I really like Sountrack music too. Transformers 'Arrival to Earth' is a very epic piece!

And I simply love Avatar's score, its beautiful!

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #43 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like Sountrack music too. Transformers 'Arrival to Earth' is a very epic piece!

"Arrival to Earth" is such a great piece that that I'm arranging the theme among other tracks in the Transformers OST, to be performed by our school symphony orchestra in spring.

YouTube - The Dark Knight Soundtrack - I'm Not A Hero
I've already arranged the Dark Knight OST.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #44 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Arrival to Earth" is such a great piece that that I'm arranging the theme among other tracks in the Transformers OST, to be performed by our school symphony orchestra in spring.

Wow, that sounds great. Have to put that one on the list.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just picked up Oldboy (really good), Amelie (haven't listened yet), and this "space and beyond" sampler, which has some good selections and really nice sound!

Various - Space And Beyond (2xCD, Comp, Album) at Discogs

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #45 of 162
The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra has done a lot of performances of John Williams film music (including a whole album of Star Wars music) - they're generally good recordings, very nice and dynamic. I'd recommend picking up one or two of their discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back